Is Your Style Good Bad Or Ugly?

In the opinion of the writer or the reader?

Writer, I'm guessing. Otherwise, it would be "what they want," right?

My style is my style, and I feel at home in it. Just the thought of trying to change that makes me uncomfortable. :(

Writer, I'm guessing. Otherwise, it would be "what they want," right?

My style is my style, and I feel at home in it. Just the thought of trying to change that makes me uncomfortable. :(

I'm happy with my style. And, judging by feedback, I have a wedge of readers here who are too. That said, my 'fans' are a minority (on this site). But I post stuff here to try things out. So, I guess it's working. :)

I wanna do more with my natural talent for sarcastic one-liners, such as....His heart was in the right place, and his cock wanted to follow the heart’s good example.

Chandler's brilliance was for original metaphor, which I cant create even with a Betty Crocker mix and directions. Did I just do it again?

So, I suppose my style is inching to the Promised Land.

I always, well almost always, set out to write smut, but I always seem to end up with romantic drivel!

Some days I'm ok with my writing style, some days I hate it, but I think that's the bipolar in me.
I guess I do have a 'style' though, once an editor added some suggestions for me and I had my friend read the story and she could pick out the stuff that wasn't written by me right away.

So yeah, for the most part I suppose I have a style, and I like it, but whether it's good, bad or ugly is anyone's guess or opinion.

I always, well almost always, set out to write smut, but I always seem to end up with romantic drivel!

Some days I'm ok with my writing style, some days I hate it, but I think that's the bipolar in me.
I guess I do have a 'style' though, once an editor added some suggestions for me and I had my friend read the story and she could pick out the stuff that wasn't written by me right away.

So yeah, for the most part I suppose I have a style, and I like it, but whether it's good, bad or ugly is anyone's guess or opinion.

I get what youre saying. My vocabulary is a couple of three thousand words, and I use maybe 100 of them for most of my speech and writing. The rest aren't me. Its no different than my car, it'll go anywhere but doesn't.

Considering English is my 4th language, my style is far from where I want it to be, but that's what editors are for. In the meantime, I try my best;-)

Is Your Style What You Want?
My writing style is based on what I like to read, so at least generally speaking it's exactly what I want. Technically it's still got a long way to go before it is what I wish it was though. Sometimes I compare myself with another writer and I see all the things I still have room to grow in, but I always try to only use that as a learning opportunity. See what in their story or book I like and why I feel that way. That understanding helps me refine and improve my own style, but I only do that with writers whose style is similar to mine. I don't want to add completely new and different things to my style, just improve and expand what's already there.

Whether my style is good, bad or ugly is for others to decide, although ugly does seem a bit like the odd one out to me. Good and bad are technical and less about taste. Writing can be good or bad, whether you enjoy reading it is different story (pun not intended). Ugly on the other hand is pure taste. I doesn't necessarily have anything to do with if the writing is any good or not.

Considering English is my 4th language, my style is far from where I want it to be, but that's what editors are for. In the meantime, I try my best;-)

Wow, speaking four languages is impressive.
I don't think editors should change your style though. I always try to keep the original style of the writer intact when I am editing. I never suggest drastic changes in their style, because that's a personal thing and preferences can differ. I do offer advice on how to improve their own style, but a story edited by me will still read as the writer wrote it. At least that's what I am aiming for.

Back