Writing a sequel to another authors finished work

Short answer - Don't even think it.

Long answer - Read this thread:

http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1391968&highlight=Copyright

Be aware - this comes up regularly, and the consensus is always the same. Don't. Using another writer's characters is not the same as fan fiction, there are a range of ethical considerations which you can figure out if you put yourself in the shoes of the other writer.

But read the thread and decide for yourself.

Be aware - this comes up regularly, and the consensus is always the same. Don't. Using another writer's characters is not the same as fan fiction, there are a range of ethical considerations which you can figure out if you put yourself in the shoes of the other writer.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Or just decide there's nothing wrong with it, as it's all this guy does!

I imagine Laurel would remove the continued stories if the original author PMed her about them

There are authors at Literotica don't mind if other writers continue their storylines. Some authors even encourage others to write the next chapter. There are also writers who do not want this.

We allow works derivative of other Lit author's work so long as the continuing author has contacted the original author and has received express permission to post the work here.

There are authors at Literotica don't mind if other writers continue their storylines. Some authors even encourage others to write the next chapter. There are also writers who do not want this.

We allow works derivative of other Lit author's work so long as the continuing author has contacted the original author and has received express permission to post the work here.

Perfect answer Laurel!

Perfect answer Laurel!

Depending on who tells Laurel they're happy with it--the permission comes directly to Laurel from the original author or the "pickup" author tells Laurel "the original author told me it's OK" and she takes that as fact. The first certainly should be OK; the second certainly shouldn't be OK and Laurel's post isn't clear on this point.

Depending on who tells Laurel they're happy with it--the permission comes directly to Laurel from the original author or the "pickup" author tells Laurel "the original author told me it's OK" and she takes that as fact. The first certainly should be OK; the second certainly shouldn't be OK and Laurel's post isn't clear on this point.

Well if someone is foolish enough to lie to Laurel about it, they shouldn't complain if/when their work gets nuked.

I dunno, unless I straight up gave away a story (or more likely a universe setting for a story), I think I'd askto pre-approve a story from a writer who wanted to do it. I see it as more of an evolving conversation rather than just a yes/no answer in most cases.

Well if someone is foolish enough to lie to Laurel about it, they shouldn't complain if/when their work gets nuked.

I dunno, unless I straight up gave away a story (or more likely a universe setting for a story), I think I'd askto pre-approve a story from a writer who wanted to do it. I see it as more of an evolving conversation rather than just a yes/no answer in most cases.

It's very basic. The material belongs to the originator. Only they can give permission that certain aspects of it can be used by anyone else. No one else speaks for them or can assume permission.

Your post was that Laurel's answer was perfect. It wasn't. It didn't pin down who had to provide the permission to her.

Personally, I would be flattered if someone wanted to continue one of my stories. It's not like he's taking any money out of my pocket. Go for it!

Fine, but you only speak for yourself, not for other authors.

Frankly, I'm not all that sure what is free game in this realm and what isn't. But the more it uses of the previous author's work, the less free game it would be.

I've hinted at another LIT'er's universe in a satire piece, and I've adopted a universe where KING KING and JURASSIC PARK were documentaries, but otherwise I'm off in my own unreality. My story universes tend to be personal; I'd be amazed if anyone wanted to exploit them. I've invited others to do sequels, but no takers yet.

Universe theft? Laurel's rules apply here. Get permission or build your own.

Universe theft? Laurel's rules apply here. Get permission or build your own.

Also pride in self, I would have thought. Where's the originality in running with someone else's brain child? That's the bit I don't understand with clone writers.

Personally, I would be flattered if someone wanted to continue one of my stories. It's not like he's taking any money out of my pocket. Go for it!
Personally, I'd like one of the commenters who write, "This needs another chapter!" to write one him/herself.

Personally, I'd like one of the commenters who write, "This needs another chapter!" to write one him/herself.

IMHO, most of the people who write such things are partly doing so not just b/c the narrative asks for more, but b/c they like the author's quality... So they likely may not feel they could match it.

Back