What Made You Smile/Laugh Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
David Suzuki has made a movie!!!

Force of Nature

Comes out in Toronto & Ottawa Oct 1, the rest of us Canucks get it Oct 15. Our southern neighbours will have to wait for the DVD, I guess.

I :heart: David Suzuki

From Fark.com, one of the interwebs' greatest sites, with a "Hero" tag:

Carolina Beach restaurant says "no" to screaming children
Posted: Sep 06, 2010 4:14 PM CDT
By Max Winitz

CAROLINA BEACH, NC (WECT) - A restaurant in Carolina Beach is stirring up controversy over a couple of signs reading, "Screaming children will not be tolerated." The owner of the Olde Salty restaurant, Brenda Armes, is tired of having her customers complain to her about children misbehaving and screaming when others are trying to enjoy a quiet meal.

Armes says the signs have worked. "It has been a good thing for us," Armes said. "It has brought us in more customers than it has ever kept away." Gary Gibson was dining at the restaurant for the first time and agrees with Armes. "It's not very enjoyable when you hear a bunch of kids screaming. It's nice to see a sign like that up," Gibson said.

While many are for the rule, some families are against it. "I've never seen a restaurant say, don't bring your screaming kids in here," said Ashley Heflin, who is a mom of two. "You can't help it if your kids scream." Armes says that if a child is screaming, a restaurant employee will ask the parent to take them outside to calm down. They will not be asked to leave the restaurant for good.

"We want to attract the type of people that come in knowing they aren't going to have to sit behind a table with a bunch of screaming children," Armes said.​

And from the comments on the article's webpage:

"I've never seen a restaurant say, don't bring your screaming kids in here," said Ashley Heflin, who is a mom of two. "You can't help it if your kids scream."

This is bunk. I have a 4 year old girl. I have taught her it is not ok to scream or throw fits in public. She has, on rare occasion had a fit or started crying loudly and I have either calmed her down quickly or taken her outside. I will not let other parents off saying they 'can't help it'. It is our job to teach them what is ok and proper and what is not exceptible [sic]. I am glad this sign is up. I wouldn't mind seeing them pop up in more places.

Smile #2 for the day:

Kitty pawprints all over the TV screen after we put in a DVD called "The Cat's Meow: Cat Sitter DVD." The youngest (6-7 months) was entranced for more than 30 minutes, and liked the birds segment the best, especially long-legged birds like herons. She *really* wanted to catch them. The other two watched, too, but weren't quite as enthralled. Funniest part was when baby cat and middle cat tried to figure out where the birds that walked off-screen had gone...

From Fark.com, one of the interwebs' greatest sites, with a "Hero" tag:

Carolina Beach restaurant says "no" to screaming children
Posted: Sep 06, 2010 4:14 PM CDT
By Max Winitz

CAROLINA BEACH, NC (WECT) - A restaurant in Carolina Beach is stirring up controversy over a couple of signs reading, "Screaming children will not be tolerated." The owner of the Olde Salty restaurant, Brenda Armes, is tired of having her customers complain to her about children misbehaving and screaming when others are trying to enjoy a quiet meal.

Armes says the signs have worked. "It has been a good thing for us," Armes said. "It has brought us in more customers than it has ever kept away." Gary Gibson was dining at the restaurant for the first time and agrees with Armes. "It's not very enjoyable when you hear a bunch of kids screaming. It's nice to see a sign like that up," Gibson said.

While many are for the rule, some families are against it. "I've never seen a restaurant say, don't bring your screaming kids in here," said Ashley Heflin, who is a mom of two. "You can't help it if your kids scream." Armes says that if a child is screaming, a restaurant employee will ask the parent to take them outside to calm down. They will not be asked to leave the restaurant for good.

"We want to attract the type of people that come in knowing they aren't going to have to sit behind a table with a bunch of screaming children," Armes said.​

And from the comments on the article's webpage:

:rolleyes: When, and they have, my kids throw tantrums in restaraunts I take them out to the car and we stay there until they calm down.

My smile: I was driving and noticed kinda a ball of fur off to the side of the road. It was a dog, chasing it's tale so quickly that it took me a minute to figure out what kind of animal it was. It was so flipping CUTE!

:rolleyes: When, and they have, my kids throw tantrums in restaraunts I take them out to the car and we stay there until they calm down.

My smile: I was driving and noticed kinda a ball of fur off to the side of the road. It was a dog, chasing it's tale so quickly that it took me a minute to figure out what kind of animal it was. It was so flipping CUTE!

What, you don't tie them up outside? ;) Dude I'm still traumatized by your MIL!

I think the sign could have been worded a bit better than that. It doesn't sound welcoming to kids and I would probably be more paranoid than usual going there. I have always taken my kid outside if he cried or had a meltdown, but with a sign like that I would be worried that any little thing would be a problem. Something like "Well-behaved children are welcome" would be totally perfect.

I think the sign could have been worded a bit better than that. It doesn't sound welcoming to kids and I would probably be more paranoid than usual going there. I have always taken my kid outside if he cried or had a meltdown, but with a sign like that I would be worried that any little thing would be a problem. Something like "Well-behaved children are welcome" would be totally perfect.

I like the sign at our local coffee shop:

"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free puppy".

I agree. I wouldn't take my kids there, that's for sure.

I like the sign at our local coffee shop:

"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free puppy".

I've seen that one. I laughed really hard.

My 8 year old came into the room a while ago holding something and said "Mom, what is this?"

It was a VHS tape.

My 8 year old came into the room a while ago holding something and said "Mom, what is this?"

It was a VHS tape.

LOL!!

This should also go on the remember when thread. 'Remember when their were VHS tapes?'

I was approached by a small boy today, about 5, who stared at me. He was a cute little red haired boy. I looked down and smiled at him and asked "Can I help you?" Without missing a beat he said "Are you a stranger?" I said "Well since we have never met, yes." He then turned around and yelled loudly to his mother pointing at me "MOM,!MOM! IS THIS THE STRANGER YOU WARNED ME ABOUT?" She looked like she was going to faint and I was laughing so hard I had to lean on the wall. This was in the hospital where I work as a nurse and he was there because of his sister. Too damn cute.

I was approached by a small boy today, about 5, who stared at me. He was a cute little red haired boy. I looked down and smiled at him and asked "Can I help you?" Without missing a beat he said "Are you a stranger?" I said "Well since we have never met, yes." He then turned around and yelled loudly to his mother pointing at me "MOM,!MOM! IS THIS THE STRANGER YOU WARNED ME ABOUT?" She looked like she was going to faint and I was laughing so hard I had to lean on the wall. This was in the hospital where I work as a nurse and he was there because of his sister. Too damn cute.

ROFL

That's a story that is going to haunt him the rest of his life.

The tooth from hell is finally, after another 2.5 hours in the chair...fixed.

*knocks on wood and leaves offering of floss to the tooth gods*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back