What happened to all of the doom and gloom economic threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the law is stupid. Congress got it wrong and Obama should be allowed to decide which laws to enforce. We should disband the Border Patrol and throw the border open, insulate the illegals from the reach of our law for the sake of the Democrat vote, and tell Americans along the border to fend for themselves. Then we could sit back and watch the nation disintegrate into a Third World shit pile in your lifetime.

Spanish speakin' people are skeery, aren't they?

How come you have an excuse for everything Obama does? Please tell the President he's not running against Bush.

Obama didn't "do* anything here. The BLS methodology was in place for decades before he took office. It's your congressman that's *doing* something.

You seem confused today.

The Jobs Report Bad News
Larry Kudlow, NRO
August 3, 2012

Stocks loved today’s jobs report, rising well over 200 points at this writing. But equities may be suffering from a certain irrational exuberance. Yes, nonfarm payrolls rose by 163,000 in July. That’s better than the prior two months and probably signals no double-dip recession — at least for now.

But there are a lot of negatives in this report.

For one, the small-business household survey dropped 195,000. That’s what drove the unemployment rate up to 8.3 percent. These two factors virtually cancel out the better-than-expected rise in nonfarm payrolls.

By the way, the labor force shrunk by 150,000. The participation rate slipped to 63.7 percent. And the overall U-6 discouraged-workers unemployment rate increased to 15 percent.

Average hourly earnings registered a slight 0.1 percent increase. But that only adds up to a 1.7 percent increase year-on-year, which is below the rising consumer price index.

So Team Obama will undoubtedly continue to tell us that jobs and the economy are getting better, but this mixed employment report takes the steam out of that argument.

A couple of other economic reports coming out this week raise red flags. The ISM manufacturing index came in below 50 for the second straight month, and the ISM services index is barely above 50. (Below 50 signals contraction.) Meanwhile, factory orders fell 0.5 percent and are down 2.6 percent at an annual rate over the past three months. Even worse, core capital-goods orders (non-defense, excluding aircraft) fell 1.7 percent in June and have dropped 3.9 percent annually over the past three months.

In other words, business investment is still weak. So are real consumer incomes. And the unemployment rate continues to edge higher. All this springs from an economy growing no more than 1.5 to 2 percent.

If you ask me, I think what we're experiencing isn't in fact closer to a "growthless" recovery than to a jobless one. Because GDP started to grow more than a year and a half ago, but with the exception of just a couple of quarters, growth has not been noticeably above its trend rate of about 2-1/2 percent a year. I don't rejoice at the news that we added 216,000 jobs in March. About a hundred thousand of that 216,000 is needed every month just to keep up with the growth in the labor force. At this rate of job growth, it would take most of the decade to replace the eight 8-1/2 million jobs that were lost in the recession.
Christina Romer
Chairwoman of Obama's White House Council of Economic Advisors

Up on us all, up on us all,
A little rain must fall,
Just a little rain...

If you ask me, I think what we're experiencing isn't in fact closer to a "growthless" recovery than to a jobless one. Because GDP started to grow more than a year and a half ago, but with the exception of just a couple of quarters, growth has not been noticeably above its trend rate of about 2-1/2 percent a year. I don't rejoice at the news that we added 216,000 jobs in March. About a hundred thousand of that 216,000 is needed every month just to keep up with the growth in the labor force. At this rate of job growth, it would take most of the decade to replace the eight 8-1/2 million jobs that were lost in the recession.[/COLOR]
Christina Romer
Chairwoman of Obama's White House Council of Economic Advisors

Is this true or not? Because conservatives keep bitching about the labor force shrinking. Make up your mind.

Is this true or not? Because conservatives keep bitching about the labor force shrinking. Make up your mind.

You keep wanting to point out that job creation is growing.

We keep pointing out that is is not growing at a replacement rate.

You think that this is, then, some sort of a lie and a hypocrisy, but the participation rates are telling the story, though there may be nominal, technical growth, it is not a healthy growth and most of us get the sense that you will not admit that under any circumstances because your concerns lie more to partisan politics than an honest economic examination of what is actually transpiring right underneath your nose.

We put on more than twice the number of jobs than the previous month, surpassing analysts' expectations and well that's a bad thing.

Spin it AJ! Spin it!!!

We will see what the revisions tell us, for the June numbers were revised downward and on top of it all, the 180 here is amusing me for just yesterday you were lecturing me, again, about lying, because I was not using a rolling metric...

I am now enjoying a lol-ing metric.

;) ;)

You think that this is, then, some sort of a lie and a hypocrisy, but the participation rates are telling the story, though there may be nominal, technical growth, it is not a healthy growth and most of us get the sense that you will not admit that under any circumstances because your concerns lie more to partisan politics than an honest economic examination of what is actually transpiring right underneath your nose.

What? Vette and others keep saying the workforce is shrinking. Which is it?

We’re not, we’re not trying to push financial reform because we begrudge success that’s fairly earned. I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money. But, you know, part of the American way is, you know, you can just keep on making it if you’re providing a good product or providing good service. We don’t want people to stop, ah, fulfilling the core responsibilities of the financial system to help grow our economy. --Obama

We will see what the revisions tell us, for the June numbers were revised downward and on top of it all, the 180 here is amusing me for just yesterday you were lecturing me, again, about lying, because I was not using a rolling metric...

I am now enjoying a lol-ing metric.

;) ;)

... and May's numbers were revised upward. You forgot to mention that. How come? It's right there in the same line as the June revision in the BLS report. It's so close that you're certainly guilty of lying by omission right now.

How come you didn't mention -267,000 fewer discouraged workers compared to 1 yr ago? It's right there in the BLS report. Your talking point about discouraged workers is still open, right? Were you in on that? Or am I supposed to pretend it doesn't exist?

How come you didn't mention -267,000 fewer discouraged workers compared to 1 yr ago? It's right there in the BLS report. Your talking point about discouraged workers is still open, right? Were you in on that? Or am I supposed to pretend it doesn't exist?

blah, blah, blah.....spin it baby!

blah, blah, blah.....spin it baby!

Tell me how handing you the BLS report source document amounts to spin.

But saying it's a bad thing that we added a lot more jobs this month is not spin?

I agree, it's not as much growth as we'd like to see but it's miles from where we were. The glut in the housing market is a huge weight on growth, plus Europe is too poor to buy our stuff right now. And a lot of Americans are choosing to pay down debt rather than spend money.

What happened to U6?

Look, why don't you, if we want to play this game, talk about how unemployment was going to fall to 5% right before the election based on our plan, the one that WORKED!

;) ;)

Sideshow Barry Barker 2012 Says: "It's NOT the economy, Stupid!" It's the Birthers! The Tea Party! SARAH PALIN!
Bush!
BAD LUCK!!
RACISM!!!
ATMs, KIOSKs & CORPORATE JETS!!!
TSUNAMIS, TORNADOS, & the ARAB SPRING!!!
EARTHQUAKES & HURRICANES!!!!!
EUROPE’s €PIIGS!!!!!!!!

OBSTRUCTION!!!
Americans have grown “Soft!”
MY LIMP STAFF
Greece is the word!
Roman Noodles!
Iran and the Jews!
You're all LAZY!
Come on WORK WITH ME HERE!
I killed a lot of people people!

obama-wide-grin80.jpg

”’Shovel-ready’ was not as shovel-ready as we expected.” (Laughter)

... telephone operators...,

... the Internet...

Bush...

That wasn't me that gave drone technology to Iran!

Those Inscrutable Chinese!
Cheapskate CONGRESS!
I'm a VICTIM!
We tried our plan, and...,

... IT WORKED!!!

Oh, earlier I lied. I said unemployment was 8.2%, for this I apologize and offer correction:

8.3%

Last edited:
What happened to U6?

Look, why don't you, if we want to play this game, talk about how unemployment was going to fall to 5% right before the election based on our plan, the one that WORKED!

;) ;)

Sideshow Barry Barker 2012 Says: "It's NOT the economy, Stupid!" It's the Birthers! The Tea Party! SARAH PALIN!
Bush!
BAD LUCK!!
RACISM!!!
ATMs, KIOSKs & CORPORATE JETS!!!
TSUNAMIS, TORNADOS, & the ARAB SPRING!!!
EARTHQUAKES & HURRICANES!!!!!
EUROPE’s €PIIGS!!!!!!!!

OBSTRUCTION!!!
Americans have grown “Soft!”
MY LIMP STAFF
Greece is the word!
Roman Noodles!
Iran and the Jews!
You're all LAZY!
Come on WORK WITH ME HERE!
I killed a lot of people people!

obama-wide-grin80.jpg

”’Shovel-ready’ was not as shovel-ready as we expected.” (Laughter)

... telephone operators...,

... the Internet...

Bush...

That wasn't me that gave drone technology to Iran!

Those Inscrutable Chinese!
Cheapskate CONGRESS!
I'm a VICTIM!
We tried our plan, and...,

... IT WORKED!!!

Oh, earlier I lied. I said unemployment was 8.2%, for this I apologize and offer correction:

8.3%
I'm quoting you so you can see yourself how ridiculous your posts are.

I'm quoting you so you can see yourself how ridiculous your posts are.

Fuck off idiot.

That's one of twenty and a reply in kind.

When the discussion was reasonable, so were the replies, when merc went into Phrodo mode, he got Phrodo back...

Fuck off idiot.

That's one of twenty and a reply in kind.

When the discussion was reasonable, so were the replies, when merc went into Phrodo mode, he got Phrodo back...
I knew that you had a few boilerplate crap posts, but I'm surprised that you have twenty of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back