Incompatible software advice

NaokoSmith

Honourable Slut
I have a new author to edit for. She has an old version of WordPerfect. I use Microsoft Word.

I like to do Track Changes in the text so the author can pick and choose what changes to keep, and to make comments down the side: "Nonononono!" "WTF is this?" "Are you seriously going to make that character drink champagne with ravioli? I mean there's dark, and there's totally fucking depraved and disgusting!!!!"

Is there a way we can make beautiful editing together? Other than my putting my changes and comments in square brackets in the text, which given my pickiness is going to make her story look like animals with very strange footprints have been dancing all over it after a wild party.

Can I put the document in OneDrive or Word Online for her to see? (I have hotmail, she has GMX.) Google Docs? I have used that once before. I suppose I could drag myself over there and make a new account, gah. What I do for the sake of art. Well, a good stroke, anyway. ;)

I've heard of an editing app that can be used with Google docs that is similar to Track Changes. Can't remember the name of the app but it starts with a p, I think it's free, and I think it's hooked up to gmail.

I don't know of an app, but I know that when you send a text file via gmail, you can edit it the same as you would Track Changes.

Perhaps this is what LadyVer is talking about. I wouldn't call that an "app" per se since no downloading or "adding to browser" is required.

Is there a way we can make beautiful editing together?

My suggestion is that you contact the author and ask them to install LibreOffice (www.libreoffice.org). It runs under Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or newer. The author's WordPerfect files can be exported as text files and then imported into LibreOffice. Finally, they can be saved as Word documents. Problem solved.

Oh, and don't forget to mention that LibreOffice is free! It's equivalent to Word in most cases. I've used WordPerfect, Word, and LibreOffice. Moving from one to another isn't too difficult as long as you don't have a lot of built-in macros.

Good luck. :)

I don't know of an app, but I know that when you send a text file via gmail, you can edit it the same as you would Track Changes.

Perhaps this is what LadyVer is talking about. I wouldn't call that an "app" per se since no downloading or "adding to browser" is required.

This is the link about the "app" I was talking about, Poetica: https://poetica.com Maybe it's what you're referring to.

This is the link about the "app" I was talking about, Poetica: https://poetica.com Maybe it's what you're referring to.

Ah, no. I was referring to a non downloaded g-mail program that runs via g-mail that you send a text document from any program Word, wordperfect, MS notepad, whatever. G-mail will allow you to edit that document as I stated before, save it, edit it again another day, then mail back to the originator with highlighted editing as if you used Word.

I like the idea of not downloading programs via the internet if at all possible.

Ah, no. I was referring to a non downloaded g-mail program that runs via g-mail that you send a text document from any program Word, wordperfect, MS notepad, whatever. G-mail will allow you to edit that document as I stated before, save it, edit it again another day, then mail back to the originator with highlighted editing as if you used Word.

I like the idea of not downloading programs via the internet if at all possible.

Is that similar to the OneDrive, or to Word Online in Outlook?

All the Microsoft Office tools have online equivalents if you have Office 365. The online version of these applications is pretty much exactly like the one you put on your computer, but you use it in your browser. I know all the version tracking stuff is the same in Word.

Good luck!

I have a new author to edit for. She has an old version of WordPerfect. I use Microsoft Word.

I like to do Track Changes in the text so the author can pick and choose what changes to keep, and to make comments down the side: "Nonononono!" "WTF is this?" "Are you seriously going to make that character drink champagne with ravioli? I mean there's dark, and there's totally fucking depraved and disgusting!!!!"

Is there a way we can make beautiful editing together? Other than my putting my changes and comments in square brackets in the text, which given my pickiness is going to make her story look like animals with very strange footprints have been dancing all over it after a wild party.

Can I put the document in OneDrive or Word Online for her to see? (I have hotmail, she has GMX.) Google Docs? I have used that once before. I suppose I could drag myself over there and make a new account, gah. What I do for the sake of art. Well, a good stroke, anyway. ;)

Is that similar to the OneDrive, or to Word Online in Outlook?

All the Microsoft Office tools have online equivalents if you have Office 365. The online version of these applications is pretty much exactly like the one you put on your computer, but you use it in your browser. I know all the version tracking stuff is the same in Word.

Good luck!

What he said.

Though I wasn't aware it was only if you have office 365. I wasn't aware that google was in bed with Microsoft. As to Outlook, I can't say since I haven't used that hacked program in such a long time it isn't funny. Most incidents of e-mail spam can be attributed to Outlook.

Back