Claymore and Dagger Pt.2

"Well, what do you like?" Fiona asked, glancing towards Sam as he looked through a few different sets. "I dare say she is more your drake than mine."

As if on cue Elin appeared, snuffling at the counter as far as her little neck could reach. When she was pushed aside she immediately turned and nudged into Sam's side to get his attention.
 
"Elin," Sam sighed, scooting her back outside. "You're terrible." He glanced around then. "Well... we'll want something rugged to start with. No point in anything pretty until she's used to it an' trained well enough no' t'scratch at it 'r chew."
 
"What if I want pretty?" Fiona asked, looking at him with a small grin. "You are too much a practical soldier. Our daughters will wear the prettiest little gowns I can put them in even when they're out sparing in the dirt with you."

She constantly sought to make him smile, especially lately when his thoughts could take him to very dark places.
 
"It's up t'you, but don' get upset when Elin ruins it," Sam shrugged, tucking his hands into his pockets and meeting her gaze. A small smile tugged at his lips when their eyes met, before he stepped outside to make sure Elin stayed with her parents.
 
Elin was crawling over Roman when Sam appeared, pestering her father as he lounged in the sun. When she did something too rough, he carefully pushed her away with his great hands, setting the drake back in her place.

Fiona watched as Sam stepped out to check on their drakes. As she turned back to the tack, she let out a sigh, knowing that he was right about choosing things that were practical for the moment. She got leather pieces that were dark colored, light in weight, and had some room to grow with Elin for the next few months. After she paid the vendor, she joined Sam back outside.
 
When Fiona emerged, Sam was on his back on the ground looking thoroughly unamused as Elin chose him to crawl on rather than Roman. He glanced up as Fiona emerged. "This one is going to test Kennah's and my patience...."
 
"Seems that Kennah is thoroughly unconcerned." Fiona said with a smile as she glanced over at Kennah who was sunning herself like a great cat, watching her fledgling play with Sam.

"Samuel. Fiona." Fiona glanced over as Justin's mother appeared in the front door of her shop just down the road, waving them her direction.
 
Sam sat up, nudging Elin aside and looking to the old Wolf woman. Standing, he dusted himself off and stepped forward with Fiona. "Morning," he murmured to her. "What can we do for you?"
 
"Your mother was in here earlier. I need to get your measurements for your new suit." She pulled Sam into the shop without another word, making Fiona chuckle as Sam looked thoroughly uncomfortable.

"For the coronation, I would suppose." Fiona said as she took a seat at the counter and watched as Sam was measured for what he would be crowned in.

"What colors will you be using for your official seal? I'm to make you a suit and her a gown. I would like them to match." Fiona glanced over suddenly at that, her brow furrowing tightly.

"A gown? No. Not for me." Fiona said quickly, a little startled that Julia would have spent money on that.
 
"It's no' like we can stop Ma once she's set 'er mind to it," Sam sighed. "Same colors, blue, white, and black. I'm no' changin' House Ghis' heraldry."
 
“But for me?” Fiona asked, looking a terrible Sam with such confusion.

“You’ll be his queen, will you not?” Came the blunt question from Sam’s side.

“I don’t know that we’ve really discussed it all that seriously.”
 
"You don' need to choose now, love," Sam murmured. "But I'd like you by my side nonetheless."
 
"We won't even be married yet before you're crowned. Do you think that might seem strange?" Fiona asked as Sam looked towards her, Justin's mother finishing up her measuring and moving to make notes in her journal about the outfit that she could make for him.
 
"Yer my fiancee, you ought t'be with me. T'hell with what anyone else thinks," Sam told her quite confidently. "I only care what you an' our families think. An' I'm pretty sure we all agree tha' you an' I should stand together."
 
It was the first time that she had heard Sam speak so confidently on the fact that he wanted to make her his queen. She had been insistent that the decision be his alone as she didn't want to be seen as a social climber. It seemed that Sam had his own, very strong opinions on the matter.

"Then, I guess there's nothing left to do but shut my mouth and gracefully accept that your mother has purchased a coronation gown for me." Fiona said, completely overwhelmed by those words as Justin's mother moved to start measuring her as well.
 
“Do you think I will change my mind?” Fiona asked him as she raised her arms to be measured properly. “Because I don’t think that I will.”
 
"I wouldn' blame you if you did. Ye've already got more'n enough on yer plate." Sam crossed his arms as he watched Justin's mother work. "I don' think anyone would."
 
“Samuel Durban Ghis.” Fiona growled gently under her breath as he tried to convince her that the easy way out might be best for her. “I’m not going anywhere. You can get those thoughts out of your head right now.”

“I’m thinking silver and blue for her. Something to compliment your outfit. It’s a shame to dress her all in black.” Justin’s mother interrupted the moment, moving to make her notes again.
 
"It would. But I prefer black fer myself mostly, if y'don' mind," Sam murmured to the old Wolf. He looked back to Fiona, his expression softening. "I didn' say I wanted you to leave."
 
"I won't put up with you wondering if I'm in this for the long run. Just because I'm busy doesn't mean that I don't have time for you or those things that are important to you." Fiona insisted as Sam gave her a rather soft look, trying his best to appease her in the moment.
 
"I never said tha'," Sam muttered, looking as close to a kicked puppy as a man of his size and general disposition could. "All I meant was-"

"That you're an idiot and you're still surprised she picked you out of all of the other men with far less on their shoulders and far less trouble to involve her in," came the voice of Ciaran as he emerged from the back room with his daughter in one arm.

"Somethin' like tha'," Sam grumbled as Ciaran smiled warmly at the two of them.

"You'll find, Fiona, that Sam won't ever stop being amazed that someone loves him. Sometimes he's even floored that own own mother does." Ciaran came to kiss her cheek fondly.
 
“Maybe one day I’ll convince him that he’s wrong about it all.” Fiona said as Ciaran kissed he cheek in greeting, little Dana whimpering with an unhappy look on her face. “And I see you agree with me, little one.”

“Those brutes don’t feed her on a proper schedule yet.” Justin’s mother scolded, not looking up from her note and sketching.
 
"We do too, Gonari," Ciaran sighed. "I was just on my way to do that. A few minutes' difference won't hurt her." Few called Gonari by name. Most tended to refer to her as Justin's mother, or in person by her surname, Miss Kayae.
 
"Justin forgot by an hour yesterday because he was distracted by your new uniforms." Gonari murmured, giving Ciaran a look as her son-in-law tried to insist that a few moments wouldn't hurt his cub. "And a few moments feel like an eternity to her. Poor little one doesn't understand at this age. When she's a screaming mess, you'll understand."
 
Back
Top