Hyperpolarization

Lancecastor

Lit's Most Beloved Poster
I heard this word for the first time yesterday in a radio interview about one of the recent social causes....I think it was canadian aboriginal peoples now objecting to the use of the word "Chief" to describe a Band Leader, though it could have been about any one of the other pissing matches playing themselves out in the global media.

This made me wonder when and how it was that people everywhere suddenly became so thin skinned.

And that led me back to Laurel's last post here, when she said the GB had stopped being fun for her.

I don't care about the stuff going on around the world with this group or person voicing their objection to the way other people say or do things and why they must be STOPPED RIGHT NOW!!

But I do care about the way the GB has lost its sense of fun.

We used to be able to toss brickbats and bouquets around and enjoy ourselves in the process....at least , much of the time.

Now, everything is parsed for Policing, it seems.

Me, I enjoy the thrust and parry, always in good fun.

What about you? Have you lost your ability to enjoy yourself here?

If so...why?...and can you express it without witch hunting or blamecasting someone else?

Discuss.

Since the surprise election of Abu Ivanka al-Amriki, I have been more amused than ever before.

That one thing has made people bitter and needing to take it out on someone which is why we see a political board, a GB lounge and people looking to report every single little thing and believe me, I have been doing the latter just as a sort of turn-about is fair play kind of tactic.

One thing I miss is knowing who we're talking to.

With nearly everyone having been banned multiple times over this or that, even Chey's spreadsheet would be useless.

I don't know if I'd "blame" feminism, but it's probably partly that and partly generational.

Much in the same way as Trump's generation (men and women) each feel differently than Boomers, GenX or Millenials about a pat on the ass.

But it's the broader disaffection and desire to lash out at almost anything that makes me happy for the life I lead, in which none of that stuff has the day to day ability to fuck with my chi.

giphy.gif

I don't know if I'd "blame" feminism, but it's probably partly that and partly generational.

Much in the same way as Trump's generation (men and women) each feel differently than Boomers, GenX or Millenials about a pat on the ass.

But it's the broader disaffection and desire to lash out at almost anything that makes me happy for the life I lead, in which none of that stuff has the day to day ability to fuck with my chi.

Feminism has definitely played a part and deserves some blame.

In the USA, after the 19th amendment, woman became the swing vote.
Politicians started to cater to women, writing legislation for their vote, and as they got what they wanted feminism became more extreme and has helped lead to the hyperpolarization of the people.

You should watch that whole video if you want professional answers to your OP- they don't just talk about feminism.

Last edited:
You should watch that whole video if you want professional answers to your OP- they don't just talk about feminism.

I watched the first five minutes or so after seeing this post and agree I am not the first person to ask the question...and no doubt there's lots of good material out there to help me/others better understand the theories as to whats up with these social shifts.

I haven't lost my ability to enjoy myself here, but there are certainly fewer people to enjoy.

Let's go tit for tat.

Angry men with little emotional self control.

See how easy that was.

:rolleyes:

Trump is a boomer. Born in the summer of 1946, same as G.W. Bush and Bill Clinton.

Smartphone screens have polarizing filters. That's how they meddled in the election.

I heard this word for the first time yesterday in a radio interview about one of the recent social causes....I think it was canadian aboriginal peoples now objecting to the use of the word "Chief" to describe a Band Leader, though it could have been about any one of the other pissing matches playing themselves out in the global media.

This made me wonder when and how it was that people everywhere suddenly became so thin skinned.

And that led me back to Laurel's last post here, when she said the GB had stopped being fun for her.

I don't care about the stuff going on around the world with this group or person voicing their objection to the way other people say or do things and why they must be STOPPED RIGHT NOW!!

But I do care about the way the GB has lost its sense of fun.

We used to be able to toss brickbats and bouquets around and enjoy ourselves in the process....at least , much of the time.

Now, everything is parsed for Policing, it seems.

Me, I enjoy the thrust and parry, always in good fun.

What about you? Have you lost your ability to enjoy yourself here?

If so...why?...and can you express it without witch hunting or blamecasting someone else?

Discuss.

Yes. There’s too much arguing. The trolling at times can make me laugh but mostly it’s old grudges, which are boring. I don’t care about who did what 13 yrs ago to your old Lit flame.

Loss of wit, maybe?

Maybe my time has just moved on and the draw isn’t here.

Yes. There’s too much arguing. The trolling at times can make me laugh but mostly it’s old grudges, which are boring. I don’t care about who did what 13 yrs ago to your old Lit flame.

Loss of wit, maybe?

Maybe my time has just moved on and the draw isn’t here.

Agreed. GTFO! :mad:

3/4ths of the threads on the GB are now Busy Body, Political flaming or alts fighting amongst themselves.

Not much fun to be had

Back