How To Find A Dominant

cymbidia

unrepentant pervert
Joined
Mar 8, 2001
Posts
8,786
A post GreenEyedGirl made on the Domme thread has inspired this thread. Instead of corrupting the flow of their excellent discussion, i thought to take it out and make a new thread for it. It's a subject worthy of it's own discussion, i think.

GreenEyedGirl said:
Now, I am certainly not vanilla, but I am not exactly Rocky Road either. My tendencies towards D/S are sexual in nature, not servitude only. So...... where the heck do I start? In prior relationships I tried to initiate things, but either they freaked out (they thought that D/S meant they had to hurt me) or they were not into it. I am an avid reader and have read books (fiction and non), so I have a good starting base of info, but....

I have to laugh as I realize I have asked such a general and potentially unanswerable question. So maybe a better question is how did you start? What paths do I need to look for, and is there any advice you can give me on finding a Dom?

Thank you to any and all that answer!
GEG, your question is neither too general nor is it unanswerable. Furthermore, it's one we all face, many of us over and over, as we move along in understanding of our needs.

Where do you begin?
To my mind, it's always best to begin with a frank assessment of where you are in terms of your needs and wants and desires and fantasies. You cannot possibly hope to find someone who will be to you what most need if you don't know what those needs are, can you?

Completing one of the many Needs/Wants Checklists that are floating around the net (here's just one: http://ms.ha.md.us/~tammad/over21/bondage/sub-checklist.html) will give you a more concrete basis on which to begin the search for that elusive perfect-for-you Dominant. It will enable you to see, in a clear and detailed format, what you want and fear and where you think you want to go in a D/s relationship, at least from a sexual perspective.

After you've done the checklist, it may be time to begin beating the bushes for that perfect Dominant. You've got a couple choices here: (1) hope you can turn your current (and maybe vanilla) partner onto the idea of exploring in this manner or (2) you can go out looking for someone who is already interested in investigating into the mode of being.

Quite frankly, (1) doesn't seem to work that well for most of us. If we are who and what we are, so are they. They have as much right to *not* want bondage and power games in their relationships as we have to need them. It's kinda unfair, i think, to expect someone who's been vanilla forever to suddenly be enthusiastically turned on about tying you up and spanking you IF they have no interests in going there. Some of us have SO's who get into it because we do; i envy such loving and close partnerships. Most of us have lost SO's because of our needs in this area.

In the second case, that of going out and looking for those who are already interested in BDSM, you've got a right to far higher expectations of success. However, going out and looking carries with it at least one really alarming possibility, too.

Many, not most but certainly many men (and FAR more online than off) have found that an easy way to get laid is to claim to be a Master looking for a submissive. They meet you online. You begin talking/emailing/phone calls. If you're rather new to all this BDSM stuff, they can be very difficult to tell from those who are sincere and real in their desire and ability to Dominate.

There are a couple of ways to go about finding Dominants. The best is, of course, meeting them as a result of the personal recommendation by someone you trust. This is unlikely to happen, however, unless you're active in your local lifestyle group (e.g., you've been going to your local munches and other events). Lifestylers take care of each other. If there's someone bad out preying on newbies, you'll hear about it from your munch friends - but you gotta go to the munches and make friends first, right?

Another method, and one we all use eventually, is via the personals ads. It's here, of course, that you have to be very vigilant about pretenders, but it's here, too, that you have the greatest possibility of meeting someone who's just right for you.

The two best, in my opinion, are www.bondage.com and www.alt.com. You've got to be able to write a very clear ad, one that details extremely well what you want in a Dominant and what you want to give (just as important for submissives as we all need to give different things).

This post has gone too long.
I'll end it in the hope that others will address this so important topic, one that occupies most of us when we're unpartnered since we cannot possibly find our peace, our pleasure, alone.
:rose:
b.
 
Knowledge is the key

Knowledge is the key here...I sub must understand what she is seeking to wade thru the paper Doms out here...I'd highly suggest "Different Loving" by Gloria Brame or her web site www.Gloria-Brame.com. as a place someone may find basic knowledge.

Best of luck.
 
just what i needed

I never get to post questions cause ya'll answer them before i can :D I'm going to be a virgin forever...*G*

Thanks Cym for the checklist idea and the smart as always warnings. i think thats definitely the next step for me. i took a peek at bondage.com. it was a little overwhelming all at once so i think i will go back and "dip my toe in" later.
 
Finding someone

How to find someone?

That is the unversail question.

My sub of 13 years left me in Sept. so I am also facing that question.

In the past I have found a woman in the real world that did not know or at lest admit thatthey were subbies...and well...broiught them along.......

I really am not wanting to do this again <smile>

My experence with subbies online has not been ... well...what I would call up and up. One recently asked to meet....I was there ...she was not......

We all talk about the importance of trust in D/s relationships bu the word I would choice is honesty.

Richard
Michigan
 
thank you thank you!

Cymbidia

Thank you so much for addressing this issue and helping me and others. The wonderful amount of advice I have recieved has been gratifying. The task before me is daunting, but I am thrilled to have found support. The checklist is great, helped me to clarify what is already in my head.
As a female looking for a Dom, the points that you bring up about those who would prey on newbies is something I am quite concerned about. What I want to do is all about trust, implicit trust. Knowing what I want and need will hopefully help me weed out the less than honest from the true. And although I am straight, I am not ruling out the possibility of a female Domme, I know that love happens with those you connect with, and I am sure the same is true here.
I hope this thread will continue so that this important topic can be kept current.
 
Personally, I would urge novices to get in touch with their local communities, and not try to meet potential partners through the Internet. I'm sure there are people here who will tell of their Internet success stories, but overall, I think it is both a dangerous and inefficient strategy. The best method, I think, is to become involved with local support, munch or discussion groups, and in that context, search for a partner. here's a great link to groups nationwide.http://www.darkheart.com/sceneusa.html
 
Local group

Unfortunatly many areas do not have local groups or at best they small and very not supportive ones.......

What than?

Richard
Michigan
 
Richard, there are some very romote places that may not have local munches but all U.S. cities of any size at all have munches at least once a month. You could travel a ways to go to one of those, couldn't you?

Additionally, there are online local BDSM groups all over the net, particularly in IRC. You could join one of those, too.

I don't know what it's like to live in a totally BDSM devoid place. My recent couple years in Spokane was the most BDSM empty place i've ever lived, and even they had a flourishing munch group and a lively group of alt.com choices.

You need to make contact with your local group, though, Richard. I've never known one that wasn't glad to have new people show up, either. I know such groups can be a little daunting to come to, i know it can be difficult to break into them, i know they can seem a little standoffish at first. Give it 4 meetings, though, and remember: many of us are from the days when we had to hide this carefully or risk prison for doing what we need to do within the privacy of our sexual relationships. If you had a submissive for 13 years, then you all about those times. You know about the careful hiding and the paranoia.

Give your local munch group time to get to know you.
The only times i've ever seen a local munch group behave distantly toward anyone for and extended period is when a known member informed everyone else that the new member was some known to be a pretender or a sexual predator of some kind. Otherwise, people are genuinely interested in welcoming new lifestylers after they come to know and thrust that you are who you are.
 
Dissapointed!

I followed the link and it took me to a page that hasnt been updated forever and the links are dead (the ones for my town). Honestly though I was shocked that we even had one! I'll keep trying though!

Cym, I had to laugh about what you said about Spokane. A very close friend of mine lives there and he does scenes often. Hes not a lifestyler but he is very into it and even makes his own toys. Just thought i would share :)
 
Re: Local group

Richard49 said:
Unfortunatly many areas do not have local groups or at best they small and very not supportive ones.......

What than?

Richard
Michigan

I'm pretty sure there is a Traverse City munch group. You might want to subscribe to the Michigan Munches Yahoo group, so you can get regular announcements.
And if all else fails, you may just have to do a bit of travelling. You aren't that far from either Detroit or Chicago, both of which have active BDSM scenes. It is a pain in the ass, to be sure, but if you met the right person, I'm sure you would think it was worth the trouble.
 
Re: Dissapointed!

sxychick21 said:
I followed the link and it took me to a page that hasnt been updated forever and the links are dead (the ones for my town). Honestly though I was shocked that we even had one! I'll keep trying though!

Cym, I had to laugh about what you said about Spokane. A very close friend of mine lives there and he does scenes often. Hes not a lifestyler but he is very into it and even makes his own toys. Just thought i would share :)

I'm sorry that link wasn't helpful. I've got a lot more. If you want to let me know , either here or in PM, what city you are in, I'd be happy to see what I can find. Or, if you aren't comfortable with that, I understand.
 
Trverse City Munch group

The Traverse City munch group, which covered all of northern Michigan and the eastern UP, has in all reality disolved.

Long story.

Someone mentioned IRC. I have never been there nor how.
If someone would PM me with some info it would be greatfully accepted.

Richard
Michigan
 
IRC = Internet Relay Chat

http://www.irchelp.org/
This websire is an IRC help site. You can get your questions answered here, as well as find out where and how to download the IRC shareware that will allow you to access IRC.

IRC is the by far the largest real time chat in the universe. It might be overwhelming. If it is, come back for help. I've got a lot of experience with IRC, as do others here, i'm sure.


Okay... think of IRC as being a big house.

Inside every house are different rooms. Some of the rooms are large, some are small, some are for specific purposes, some are for general purposes. In IRC, those rooms are called servers and there are a LOT of them. Some are big, some are small, some are for special purposes, some are all purpose. One of the best for your purposes is called dalNET.

Inside every room are different corners, different niches, different pieces of furniture: beds, tables, bookcases, nightstands, armoires, closets, etc. Those different pieces of furniture inside a specific room (server) inside the house (IRC) are called channels. In dalNET, right now as i'm posting this (10pm, west coast time, and yes, i opened IRC so i can be certain i'm relaying to you the correct info), i have asked for a list of all the channel names that currently have between 5 and 100 people signed in. There are currently 7,355 channels open which meet my specifications.

Don't get excited. Not all of the channels have to do with sex. Not all of those which do have to do with sexual matters have anything at all to do with BDSM. Only a small percentage of them have anything to do with BDSM, to be honest. But they're there, to be sure.

so:
IRC ---> Servers ---> Channels --->BDSM channels

In IRC there are particular ways to post. Go to one of the HELP channels after you get there to learn the basic commands or just ask the inhabitants after you get logged in. Additionally, the link i gave you up at the top will give you the basic commands, too. Don't worry, there aren't many and you'll learn the most commonly used three or four of them in no time. Most people never have to use more than those three or four.


The details:
The way you get IRC on your computer is by accessing and downloading a shareware program called mIRC, if you have a PC. It's something else for a Mac/Apple - you'll have to find that out on your own.

Then you begin experiementing.

You just go in there and do.

Remember: you can always just X out of the program.

Any questions?
 
The waste lands of WA

"I don't know what it's like to live in a totally BDSM devoid place. My recent couple years in Spokane was the most BDSM empty place i've ever lived, and even they had a flourishing munch group and a lively group of alt.com choices."

I used to belong to the mixed Tri-Cities and Spokane group. We used to have combned munch es and paly parties. I had to drive to Spokane and Tri-Cities from Yakima.

It is well worth the travel time to meet that way.

Ebony
 
OMG, I live in the wastelands....

This is a pretty anti-kinky place! Or at least its well hidden :)
 
kinky place

I do not know if this helps anyone.
It is what I use to do.

[I am getting old and tired]

Since I look for subbies I keep my Subbie radar going.....
[I think it is inherited <grin>]

I would find women that I was attracted and who were attracted to me. This is more than just looks.

Over coffee I would get them talking...over a period of time I would persude them to share their fantasies

Richard
Michigan
 
Cym,

So much information. i never knew where to begin either and this thread has been so helpful. I'm only now beginning to meet people through swinging who may be into some of the things I'm interested in. It's slow moving, but eventually, one day, i'll find the right dom. Thanks!!
 
I'm glad you liked what you found here, kakia.

I see you've caried this idea back to your home Board, too, and begun your own BDSM thread there. I wish you all well with it.

The more we BDSM perverts are open and honest about our needs, the more others can see us as normal people with some different kinds of kinks and the less afraid of us they'll be. In this way, scary stereotypes will dissolve as odd and different sexualities (like BDSM for most people) are discussed openly and without embarassment.

I'm gratified that you picked up some useful ideas for your brief time here. Come back if you have any more questions by which your own Board (thisboardrocks.com) is confounded.
:cool:
 
There you are kakia. :)Wondered which threads you'd be posting on. I guess not many people experienced enough to give you any tips on this subject on the R&R board.

Cym, I have a question about this board. I must admit I'm a little intimidated by the sheer volume of posts and different forums. Where's the best place to start for a newbie? Now I know how virgins really feel. :)

Oh and by the way, if you venture back over to the other board, don't take any of the things those guys say seriously. We've got a few flamers and idiots, but overall the people over there are good people and like to see new faces. Don't take anything personally. I've read through a few threads here and it seems like all of you here have thick enough skin and like a good argument. Hope I can contribute something over here. I'll have to find my way around first. I'm lost :(
 
Hi SS. It's good to see you here among us perverts.
:rose:

You're right; Lit is *much* larger than TBR. It's a little daunting, too, until you break it down into it's component parts and realize that there are only a handful of Forums here and everything is just like where you're from except that it moves faster.

Lit is (mostly):
Stories/poems (both of which have their own forums here on the BB as well as a massive section devoted to them away from here).

Online, real-time chat (and i don't know anything at all about this, never having been there).

A very active Bulletin Board (and that's where you are now).


The BB is composed of 15 different Forums.
1 - Site Announcements
1 - Awards and Contests
6 - Stories, poems, editors, ideas, and discussions about the former
2 - Role Playing
1 - How To (Any questions? Ask here.)
1 - Amateur Pictures (for all the exhibitionists who don't flash elsewhere)
1- Personals
1 - General Board (composed of a crowd of very real people who care for each other and fight like cats and dogs and laugh and cry and sing and whine and sling mud and behave, in essence, like all communities of real people behave.)
1 - BDSM (We're the newest Forum at Lit, and made up of a core of poeple who've been posting together on this subject since last July as well as all the wonderful new faces and voices we've seen since we got our own forum.)

You go to the Forum you think will be what you need and then, SS, you simply start posting.

Does that help?


And i went back there already and apologized (sorta... ~s~) for being kinda serious when, well, it wasn't a serious moment.

Thanks for coming here about it, though. That was kind of you.
:rose:
 
Thanks Cym - I decided to start out on an easy one.

I like Ginger better than Mary Ann. :D

On a serious note, how long will these server problems be around? I'm a little impatient, and it takes about 20 seconds for a reply to load. I'm used to the instant response. At this rate it will take me a year to lose my virginity.

Any fix in sight? After this I'll switch forums - I'm not into BDSM (Yet anyway) I don't think :confused:

Thanks again.
 
getting easier

I just wanted to share my experience going to my local munch. It was so much easier than I thought, and not at all intimidating! The links that Cymbidia posted earlier in the thread helped me to find the people I needed to talk with in my area.
The munch was very low key and almost everyone I spoke with was understanding of the fear factor of a newbie, especially one who wants to explore her sub side. And the women in the group were especially protective, it seems as though those who are immersed in this culture take care of each other, which made me feel so much better. I know that I am not ready to choose a dom, as there are things I need to clarify for myself, but I am SO relieved to have found people who understand. Acceptance in any sort of sexual "deviation" is such a wonderful feeling.
So thanks to everyone who answered my questions and put up with my "but what if..." 's. I feel so much more comfortable now after talking with others and knowing that there are meetings I can go to on a regular basis.
And thanks to Cymbidia, you are a godess!
 
I think

I think it is harder for a Dom to find a sub than a sub to find a dom...even for just play.

Richard
 
Re: thank you thank you!

GreenEyedGirl said:
Cymbidia

Thank you so much for addressing this issue and helping me and others. The wonderful amount of advice I have recieved has been gratifying. The task before me is daunting, but I am thrilled to have found support. The checklist is great, helped me to clarify what is already in my head.
As a female looking for a Dom, the points that you bring up about those who would prey on newbies is something I am quite concerned about. What I want to do is all about trust, implicit trust. Knowing what I want and need will hopefully help me weed out the less than honest from the true. And although I am straight, I am not ruling out the possibility of a female Domme, I know that love happens with those you connect with, and I am sure the same is true here.
I hope this thread will continue so that this important topic can be kept current.

Hello GreenEyedGirl

Would love to chat with you and learn more about your needs and wants......
Being a Dom is all about learning about the wants and needs of your sub and in turn....
As your knowledge of your sub increases so does the pleasure of the relationship....
A sub is only a sub if all her needs are being fulfilled by her Dom and in return she gives herself to him...the one that makes her feel alive.....

:rose: Cop4u :rose:
 
As Richard and i are both all-too-aware of late, even long-time people in the lifestyle must still search for a partner and come up empty-handed time after time.

There's no magic to finding someone just right for you. Some of it is luck. Much of it is self-knowledge. A huge amount of it has to do with honesty, you to the people you will be meeting, concerning where you've been and where you need to go.

Honesty is always the key for people like us.
You just gotta keep trying, too.

(Yes, this is a pep talk, me to myself.
How very astute of you to notice. ;) )
 
Back
Top