The "Fuck you cancer!" thread

MRI today - 1st one since March - This one had too much bright shiny stuff. Chemo & rads are done for; any repeats or new stuffs would almost certainly create more problems than they might resolve. Therefore, steps are being taken to get into a desirable hospice program. There comes a time, in my mind, when one ceases using one's finanvial, physical and emotional capital in an unwinnable battle, and saves them for a better purpose - to give and show love.

All of us who have fought, and are fighting ,this battle have helped others to the day when they WIN it.

So listen up, cancer, FUCK YOU!

Thank you all for being here and sharing your love.

SW, words fail me.

All my love and good thoughts to you and YK. :rose:

MRI today - 1st one since March - This one had too much bright shiny stuff. Chemo & rads are done for; any repeats or new stuffs would almost certainly create more problems than they might resolve. Therefore, steps are being taken to get into a desirable hospice program. There comes a time, in my mind, when one ceases using one's finanvial, physical and emotional capital in an unwinnable battle, and saves them for a better purpose - to give and show love.

All of us who have fought, and are fighting ,this battle have helped others to the day when they WIN it.

I don't even know what to say. You've set such a great example with your attitude, and still keep doing that.

I'll have you and your loved ones in my thoughts. Your and YK's strength in handling all this is amazing. :heart:

I'm very sorry it's reached that stage, but it takes wisdom to recognise it and act on it. You're in my thoughts.

SW,

You and your loved ones are in my warmest thoughts and have my whole hearted support as you face your next chapter. Much love and huge hugs to a beautiful you and all of those lucky enough to know and love you.

:rose:

FYC.

Dear SW,
We will walk all of the way with you, my friend.

Sending you & YK my love
:heart:

Got word to expect a "notification of mutation" letter related to a cancer study my family's involved in.

Went looking at what the researchers involved have been publishing lately and now I [url="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23471749/]really wish I hadn't[/url]. Pretty sure one of those data points is either my mother, or one of my aunts.

Last edited:
Got word to expect a "notification of mutation" letter related to a cancer study my family's involved in.

Went looking at what the researchers involved have been publishing lately and now I really wish I hadn't. Pretty sure one of those data points is either my mother, or one of my aunts.

I'm one of the people with a really high likelihood to get breast cancer. My grandmother and her sister had it, my mom and two of her sisters had it. I don't like to think about it, so I usually stay away from all cancer related things and threads like this, because they will just make me think of my future more. I'm not afraid of getting cancer per se, because I know that if I stay on top of it, there's a really good chance to catch it early and beat the thing. And because of the family history I know to stay on top of it. So in a way it's a good thing. I still don't like to think about it, though.

One of my aunts has already beaten cervical cancer and breast cancer. The other one had cancer in both of her breasts and they're both now removed. Last week I heard she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Lady parts really try to kill in my family, it seems.

But yeah, I feel you.

For those of you not keeping score at home, I'm scheduled for my final chemo treatment next week. And I'm still hoping that a chemo accident will give me super powers.

For those of you not keeping score at home, I'm scheduled for my final chemo treatment next week. And I'm still hoping that a chemo accident will give me super powers.

Glowing in the dark would be quite cool, not as great as spontaneous levitation, but cool nonetheless.

Yeah to the end of treatments. :D

As for your requested super power... I dare not ask.

Love to you. :kiss:

Glowing in the dark would be quite cool, not as great as spontaneous levitation, but cool nonetheless.

At this point I'm not going to be picky, though I have a couple of kinky-ish powers that I'd take without batting an eye.

Yeah to the end of treatments. :D

As for your requested super power... I dare not ask.

Indeed, yay for the end of treatments. I wonder if a guy could get his own comic book (or movie deal?) as Sub Whisperer. :devil:

Went looking at what the researchers involved have been publishing lately and now I really wish I hadn't. Pretty sure one of those data points is either my mother, or one of my aunts.

Oh huh. I looked more closely at some work these researchers have published and found out that they identified a high-risk gene in my family, published this FOUR YEARS AGO, but still haven't notified us. In the meantime, two of our family have made major, irreversible medical decisions that might have been a lot different if they'd had that knowledge.

Things I should not have to discover by reading journal articles and going "oh hey, I recognise that pedigree chart!"

...somebody is getting a "please explain" tomorrow.

Oh huh. I looked more closely at some work these researchers have published and found out that they identified a high-risk gene in my family, published this FOUR YEARS AGO, but still haven't notified us. In the meantime, two of our family have made major, irreversible medical decisions that might have been a lot different if they'd had that knowledge.

Things I should not have to discover by reading journal articles and going "oh hey, I recognise that pedigree chart!"

...somebody is getting a "please explain" tomorrow.

edit: got a long and compassionate reply which has left me in tears; the delay is still upsetting, but now I have a better understanding of the reasons. It's weird to learn that a stranger has had my family tree pinned up above her monitor for almost twenty years as inspiration for her research work.

No more chemo and - alas - no super powers, either. We disconnected the portable IV pump for the last time this morning. Now it's my job to get healthier and stronger the old-fashioned way: diet, exercise, and watching bad movies.

No more chemo and - alas - no super powers, either. We disconnected the portable IV pump for the last time this morning. Now it's my job to get healthier and stronger the old-fashioned way: diet, exercise, and watching bad movies.

Take care and positive healing vibs being sent your way.

This ^ is the important part. I hear B science fiction heals the quickest! ;)

Take care and positive healing vibs being sent your way.

Thank you.

This ^ is the important part. I hear B science fiction heals the quickest! ;)

I've unearthed a treasure trove of early 70's SciFi movies that were among the first to stretch the new liberality in Hollywood: hordes of attacking female aliens whose battle armor consisted of two star-shaped pasties and a bikini bottom. And very stilted dialog. They're hilarious.

I drop off Lit to go sit in the metaphorical woods for awhile, and you make major life decisions without me???

Ah, SW. I don't know what to say.

You are a wise, compassionate and ornery soul. Cellfucker knows he has been in a fight. I wish you love and fun. Whatever happens from here on out, for good or ill, you have taught everyone who knows you - and many who don't - about grace in adversity.

Your steely determination, your unflinching forward movement, the kindness and love and good humor you've shown in this battle... well, I can only aspire to handle my meager challenges in the manner in which you've braved this.

I know I speak for everyone here in saying that.

You have so much affection and respect.

Sorry about your Mom, DGE. :rose:

Cancer took my father several years back. The sense of helplessness was pretty brutal.

Thanks, E_N.

I'm sorry about your dad. :rose:

In one way I feel completely helpless. In another sense, I finally got information from her, even if that information was the last thing I wanted to hear. I also got wise words from a litster about the difference between losing someone suddenly, and losing them with at least enough time to express your love and say goodbye. I'm trying to focus on that, for now.

Sucks. So sorry, DGE.

Thank you, itw. :rose:

I'm so sorry, dear.

Thank you, cm. :heart:

Putting treatment on hold for a couple weeks.
Taking a much needed sanity break and spending time with family and friends.
Heading to Nova Scotia. Ocean surf and lobster( before my taste buds change)

Powerful healing thoughts to all. And a of course a big

FYC

I have been thinking of you, in Nova Scotia. I hope you will write an angry FYC and slip it into a bottle and toss it into the waves.

You can't hide, cellfucker.

Thank you, everyone, for your love and support for SW and me.

:rose::heart:

Big hug, a couple of shots and a mighty FYC to you.

Last night I got a call.

You have taken one amazing lady, my friend.
I hate you from the core of my being.

You gotta know that your small, thoughtful gestures were starburst fruit chews in the gravel for her. I'm sorry, daisy.

FYC.

Thoughts, prayers, karma, internet love and hugs go out to those who need them.

In the past, I've been a little cynical about these tenuous, ephemeral acts of internet kindness. My present, however, has opened my heart to as much kindness - wherever it comes from - as I can get.

My husband was diagnosed with ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease last November. We've only been together a little over two years. It took me a lifetime to finally meet him (a kinky hook up site success story!) and now our love story is going to be pretty short.

I didn't know much about Lou Gehrig's disease prior to this other than Lou Gehrig was a baseball player who got this mysterious illness. Now, I see it's devastating effects every day as my guy loses his mobility, his ability to swallow, his speech.

I will say all those cliches about living life to the fullest, live each day like it's your last, yada yada... I was cynical about those too!! And now, I try to dance like no one's watching, turn my frown upside down -- it doesn't matter how tired, how sad, how tough it is - I want to make every day for him, for us, wonderful.

I know this is the cancer thread. But I'm hoping this can be a general fuck you awful, ugly, random illness post.

Absofuckinglutely it can be. FYALS!!

I'm sorry about your husband, but you have a great attitude. ALS is such a fucked up, cruel and dickish disease. I have a friend who's been fighting it for five years and have become more aware of it for that reason. The ice bucket challenge has been a mindblowing godsend for ALS. That kind of cash and publicity is invaluable.

Keep up the fight and stop by the Church of FYC anytime. Our only creed is hatred.

Congratulations, MWY! How are you feeling? I am going to send you a big cake with FYC on it [disclosure: no, I'm not] so you can get started on the diet part.

Last edited:
Congratulations, MWY! How are you feeling? I am going to send you a big cake with FYC on it [disclosure: no, I'm not] so you can get started on the diet part.

I"m actually starting to feel fine, thanks. I plan to start some light exercise tomorrow and a part of me wants to look for opportunities to speak to groups about the experience that is cancer treatment and on some ways to minimize the risk of having to do it. But don't tell anyone as it's just the baby of an idea.

Back