The Official Authors' Hangout Winter Holidays 2017 Support Thread

Not really, oddly enough.

While GM content is savaged in most categories, the trolls don't seem to venture into the category itself very much. ( Personal trolls not withstanding )

GM has a solid track record of winning themed contests.

Isn't gay male a pretty hard section to get high ratings in? I was under the impression it was a bit of a troll target.

It *is* a nice story.

Congratulations to the 2017 Winter Holidays Contest Winners!
Manu and I would like to thank all the authors who submitted during this special contest! The reader votes are tallied, and we are happy to announce the winners of our 2017 Winter Holidays Story Contest.

First Place ($150 Cash Prize Winner):
In Time for Christmas by ScattySue

Second Place ($100 Cash Prize Winner):
My Christmas Star by MSTarot

Third Place ($75 Cash Prize Winner):
My Dream Santa by Spencerfiction

Congratulations ScattySue, MSTarot, and Spencerfiction!

And a big thank you to everyone who participated. I've enjoyed reading the entries you shared that I have.

Congrats to the winners! Nice to see Lesbian and Mature in there. Though they've had a better run the last couple of years, those categories haven't produced a lot of winners historically.

I ended up at 4.85 on 1826 votes, 83161 views, 32 comments, 243 favorites. Only had about 40ish votes swept, and the score matches the highest I ever saw it on day 1. Since then, it's fluctuated between 4.78 and 4.82.

Wow! What happened?

When I checked yesterday my entry appeared to be about 12th out of about 100, which I was pleased about, being my first entry into any contest. I don't have many reader followers, so compared to RejectReality, who quoted his numbers, they far exceed mine. I only had 13777 reads, 33 favs and 280 votes to get me into 3rd place. I was reading about "sweeps" in an earlier post, not knowing what they were before; I appear to lost about 12 votes in the process, which actually added about 0.16 to my final score. However mysterious this adjustment process is, the fact that I managed to get onto the "Literotica podium" at all, is a source of delight to me. As I was in the midst of NaNoWriMo during most of the period entries were going in, I only managed to read (and be entertained) by up to about a dozen, but I hope to read more soon. Well done all who took part.

Congrats to all winners and participants! This was a lot of fun, and I am really glad I participated! I've been lurking here for many, many years, so it felt good to contribute something! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

The trolls trying to vote you down end up helping you half the time. They drop your score low enough that other trolls don't feel it's a threat, and they ignore it. You slowly build legitimate votes, and then when the sweeps remove those troll votes, you leapfrog your way to the top.

Congrats! Don't forget to contact Laurel via PM to arrange for your check to hit the mail. And don't forget to put that sucker in the bank. The checks expire after 90 days.

( He says sheepishly, having failed to do so once in the past LOL )

EDIT: Holy frikkin' snikies! I wondered why I was suddenly picking up new votes at an unexpected clip, hit the category hub, and saw that I was #11 on the Hall of Fame :eek:

It will be interesting to see how long it stays there.

When I checked yesterday my entry appeared to be about 12th out of about 100, which I was pleased about, being my first entry into any contest. I don't have many reader followers, so compared to RejectReality, who quoted his numbers, they far exceed mine. I only had 13777 reads, 33 favs and 280 votes to get me into 3rd place. I was reading about "sweeps" in an earlier post, not knowing what they were before; I appear to lost about 12 votes in the process, which actually added about 0.16 to my final score. However mysterious this adjustment process is, the fact that I managed to get onto the "Literotica podium" at all, is a source of delight to me. As I was in the midst of NaNoWriMo during most of the period entries were going in, I only managed to read (and be entertained) by up to about a dozen, but I hope to read more soon. Well done all who took part.

Last edited:
Congrats to the other two winners. And to everyone that entered.

Now, time to sit poised waiting for the check so I can go buy me a new computer mouse, this one has about had it.

:eek:

The trolls trying to vote you down end up helping you half the time. They drop your score low enough that other trolls don't feel it's a threat, and they ignore it. You slowly build legitimate votes, and then when the sweeps remove those troll votes, you leapfrog your way to the top.

Congrats! Don't forget to contact Laurel via PM to arrange for your check to hit the mail. And don't forget to put that sucker in the bank. The checks expire after 90 days.

( He says sheepishly, having failed to do so once in the past LOL )

EDIT: Holy frikkin' snikies! I wondered why I was suddenly picking up new votes at an unexpected clip, hit the category hub, and saw that I was #11 on the Hall of Fame :eek:

It will be interesting to see how long it stays there.

Congrats to you too.

BIB - Channelling LC (where is he, btw? Flounce or ban?), for a while I've suspected this could be a deliberate ploy rather than a fortunate bonus.

BIB - Channelling LC (where is he, btw? Flounce or ban?), for a while I've suspected this could be a deliberate ploy rather than a fortunate bonus.

Neither. He is devoting his time to getting his books sold and published.

Me too. One of the good guys.

It's a bit weird here without his & pilot's daily bicker.

It would be fair for you to consider why there isn't a daily bicker now (and acknowledged that I rarely responded). I didn't particularly enjoy being harassed for several years. Also, my ratings are higher now and I have to delete fewer slamming anonymous comments. But then, since it wasn't you, I suppose . . .

Last edited:
Congrats to the winners!

I am pleased with my results! My story was only up for 7 days (submitted 12/7). Finished at 4.83 with 7386 views, 238 votes, 30 favorites. Appears to be about 8th place from what I could tell.

5th story published on Lit, my highest ranked story to date, 20 new followers. I will take it!

My holliday story was the second in a chain of stories that shared a common female protagonist. It was published first so that I didn't break any contest rules.

I published the first story today in EC. The contest story was in Mature. We're not even through the first day yet, and the non-contest story is whipping the contest story in views, and score. It's running a little behind in votes. Really, in less than a day the non-contest story has more than half the views of the contest story has in three weeks.

It makes me wonder how much value there is--at least for some kinds of stories--to be entered in a contest.

My holliday story was the second in a chain of stories that shared a common female protagonist. It was published first so that I didn't break any contest rules.

I published the first story today in EC. The contest story was in Mature. We're not even through the first day yet, and the non-contest story is whipping the contest story in views, and score. It's running a little behind in votes. Really, in less than a day the non-contest story has more than half the views of the contest story has in three weeks.

It makes me wonder how much value there is--at least for some kinds of stories--to be entered in a contest.

I think a lot depends on category. I've posted one story in Mature that could equally have gone into First Time or BDSM and the views it got in Mature were way less than it would likely have got in First Time. I also find not a lot of readers follow you cross categories. Some do but most seem not to.

Last edited:
Don't know why you didn't get a stronger response in Mature. The tagline points out the age difference, and nothing outside the readership's preferences jumped out at me in a quick skim. It should have touched all the triggers. ( though it's a little short for what I call the "sweet spot" of 3 pages )

Score? Yeah, I can see that. People score contest stories more critically. Not getting the views and votes has me baffled, though. The only thing I can think of is if you got bombed early and hard, leaving you surrounded by H stories. That could depress your views.

Your score is also higher ( significantly higher than around half of them ) than 3/4 of the currently listed stories on the EC hub, so that could potentially be driving readership in that category on the new story. If it had an H at any point during the day, that could have driven it even more.

No matter what, I think the circumstances are outliers. Contests are some of the biggest drivers of new readership, and always have been. Don't let it discourage you from jumping in on the next one.

Back