Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feasting on Asphalt cookbook coming out

from the Slashfood blog
http://www.slashfood.com/2008/03/04/feasting-on-asphalt-cookbook-of-the-day/
51Rd83lYgBL._AA240_.jpg


Today I'm featuring a book that isn't even out yet, so I don't actually have my hands on it and can't tell you about my personal experience with it. But I am really excited for it to arrive, mostly because I LOVED the show that it is accompanying. Have you figured it out yet (as if the title of this post and the picture to the right didn't already tip you off). I'm talking about Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphalt: The River Run.

What excites me so much is that this book will contain not just the recipes from the trip, but also lots of images of the towns they stopped in, the food they ate, the people they met and the mighty Mississippi that they road along for the entire trip. I love cookbooks that tell stories and I'm even more thrilled if those stories are accompanied by lots of vivid images and so I know that I'm going to love this book.


You can pre-order it here.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15..._rd_p=367241601&pf_rd_i=6-landing-asin-coop-1
 
When that old black man in Mississippi started singing "Grandmama...Grandmama was my cooornbreeaaad" I lost it. I hope he's in the book!
 
Anyone know if they're planning a third season of Feasting on Asphalt? I love that show. The world needs more Alton.
 
Good Stuff

I tend to think that this isn't the healthiest stuff, but damn, is it yummy.

Spinach Dip
1 box of frozen spinach, thawed, well-drained and slightly chopped
1 package creamy Ranch dressing mix
1 pound of bacon, crumbled
1/4 cup shelled sunflower seeds
16oz. container of sour cream
1 c. mayonaisse
small red onion, finely diced
1 small can of waterchestnuts, chopped
2 tsp. fresh dill, chopped

Mix all together. Refridgerate for an hour or two.
I serve this with bagel chips & Wheat thins.
 
Collaboration rocks the Wok

Recidiva and I tag teamed the Wok tonight and made a fantastic Lo Mein. She did the prep while I manned the Wok, it's fast and furious once you start stir frying so gather everything and have it ready in advance.

Lo Mein

1/2 lb noodles (Flour noodles from your local Asian market are highly recommended)
1/2 lb Meat (we used pork shoulder, but you can use beef, chicken, or shrimp)
2 Tbsp Peanut Oil for frying
1 clove Garlic finely chopped (1/2 for the Marinade, the rest to be used later)

Marinade
1 tsp Cornstarch
1 tsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp Sherry
1/2 clove Garlic finely chopped

Sauce mixture
1 Tbsp Cornstarch
1 cup Chicken Stock
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Oyster or Fish sauce

Topper
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1 stalk Green Onion

Optional Ingredients
Scrambled Egg
Mushrooms
Carrots

This is a very simple to prepare dish, you can add almost any vegetables you want. I used Carrots, Mushrooms, and Scrambled Egg in this batch but almost any vegetables you like can be added in. Just stir fry them in a little Peanut Oil first and set them aside.

Prepare the Marinade and Sauce mixtures, both should be well mixed.
Slice meat into 1/8" strips and soak in the marinade for at least 15 minutes. Prepare the flour noodles according to the package directions. Hint: If you need to precook the noodles rinse them through thoroughly with cold water and leave them soak in cold water until you're ready to toss them into the Wok, they will keep well that way without sticking and helps to keep things from getting too frantic in the kitchen.
While noodles are boiling slice any optional ingredients into 1/8" thick slices and set aside, these will need to be stir fried in a little Peanut oil separately because each will require different cooking times (fry Carrots and remove to side bowl, then mushrooms then put in the bowl with carrots etc..)
After any optional ingredients are precooked then you're ready to start actually putting the dish together, this goes VERY quickly so have everything within reach.

Heat 2 Tbsp Peanut oil in the Wok over high heat. Brown 1/2 clove of garlic (Be careful not to burn it, it caramelizes VERY quickly). Add marinated meat and stir until meat is approximately 3/4 cooked. Add Sauce mixture and stir until thickened. Add any optional ingredients from your precooked bowl and stir well. Toss with hot noodles. Sprinkle with Sesame oil and Green Onion.
 
Last edited:
Recipes from my collections:

(this one is quite to DIE fore)

Chicken Thigh Fricassee with Mushrooms and Rosemary
PREP TIME 15 Min
COOK TIME 1 Hr 15 Min
SERVES: 4-6

INGREDIENTS
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 tablespoon butter
5 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
1 pound chicken thighs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3/4 cup dry white wine
12 cherry tomatoes
12 Nicoise olives

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tbls butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in mushrooms, and cook until soft. Remove to a plate.
2. Wipe out skillet, and heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and two tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Place garlic, rosemary, and chicken thighs in hot oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, turning chicken, until chicken and garlic are well browned.
3. Return mushrooms to skillet, and sprinkle red pepper flakes over chicken. Pour in white wine, scraping the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon. Cook about 3 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to low; cover, and simmer gently for 1 hour.
5. Sprinkle tomatoes and olives over chicken, return cover, and cook about 5 minutes more.

*Serve with couscous to soak up sauce.
*Best with a Chilean dry wine
 
Last edited:
True-Blue Potato Salad
PREP TIME 40 min

INGREDIENTS
2 1/2 pounds small red potatoes
3/4 cup chopped green onions
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup fat-free sour cream
1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
6 slices of bacon

DIRECTIONS
1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Let stand until cool enough to handle or refrigerate overnight. Peel and cube potatoes.
2. Cook bacon until very crisp. Drain and chop well.
3. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes, onions and celery. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, parsley, vinegar, bacon, blue cheese, salt, pepper and celery seed. Pour over potato mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with blue cheese. Cover and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
 
Teriyaki Tuna
PREP TIME 5 minutes
COOK TIME 10 minutes


INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
1-1/4 pounds sashimi grade tuna steaks
1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
3/4 lemon
2-1/4 teaspoons sesame seeds
1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
ground black pepper to taste
3/4 carrot, grated

DIRECTIONS
1. Pour the teriyaki sauce into a shallow dish or bowl, and place tuna steaks in the sauce to marinate. Cover, and allow to marinate for about 45 minutes at room temperature. The steaks will cook more evenly if they are not cold.
2. Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place tuna steaks in the hot oil, and pour in the teriyaki sauce. Squeeze juice from the lemon over the steaks, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. When the bottom is light brown, flip the steaks, and cook until browned on the other side. The center will still be slightly red. Season with sea salt and pepper.
3. Place the tuna steaks onto serving plates, and garnish with grated carrots. Serve the pan drippings as a dipping sauce.
 
Chicken Vegetable Curry with Noodles or Rice


INGREDIENTS

2 teaspoons canola oil
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1- to 2-inch-long julienne strips
1 medium onion, halved and sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons red, yellow or green curry paste, or to taste
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
2 cups baby spinach
1 tablespoon lime juice
Lime wedges

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add bell pepper and onion; cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
3. Add garlic, ginger and curry paste; stir to mix.
4. Add chicken and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
5. Stir in broth, coconut milk, soy sauce and brown sugar; bring to a simmer.
6. Add cauliflower, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.
7. Stir in spinach and lime juice; cook just until spinach has wilted.

Serve immediately, with lime wedges over rice or rice noodles.
 
Dijon Crusted Halibut
PREP TIME 15 minutes
COOK TIME 15 minutes


INGREDIENTS
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2-1/4 teaspoons prepared Dijon-style mustard
2-1/4 teaspoons prepared horseradish
2-1/4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
2-1/4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
3 (4 ounce) fillets halibut
2-1/4 teaspoons margarine, melted
3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
2-1/4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, mustard, horseradish, and lemon juice. Stir in 1/4 cup bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Arrange fish fillets on the prepared baking sheet. Spread bread crumb mixture evenly over fish.
3. In a small bowl, mix together melted margarine, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over the coated halibut.
4. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
 
Chive Oil Tagliatelle

2 pounds cremini mushrooms, small ones left whole, large ones cut into halves
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
3/4 pound dried tagliatelle
2 large bunches chives, roughly chopped (about 2 cups)
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

1. Heat oven to 475 degrees. Toss together mushrooms with 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt on a baking sheet. Spread mushrooms out in a single layer, and roast in oven, turning a few times, until browned, about 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, bring large pot of salted water to boil. Add tagliatelle and cook until al dente, 8-10 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water. Drain pasta and transfer it to a large bowl.

3. Put remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon pepper flakes, 1 3/4 cups chives, lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and several grinds of pepper into a blender. Puree until emulsified, about 30 seconds. Make the chive oil as close as possible to serving time as its greenness diminishes as it sits.

4. Transfer chive oil to bowl with tagliatelle, add mushrooms, reserved pasta water, and parmigiana. Toss well. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately, garnished with remaining 1/4 cup of chopped chives.
 
Simple - but mouth watering:

Creamy Pesto Shrimp

PREP TIME 15 min
Cook Time 15 min


INGREDIENTS
6 ounces linguine pasta
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons pesto
6 ounces large shrimp, peeled and deveined

DIRECTIONS
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add linguine pasta, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
2. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in cream, and season with pepper. Cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Stir Parmesan cheese into cream sauce, stirring until thoroughly mixed. Blend in the pesto, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until thickened.
4. Stir in the shrimp, and cook until they turn pink, about 5 minutes. Serve over the hot linguine.
 
Potato, Rosemary and Carmalized Onion Cakes
PREP TIME 15 minutes
COOK TIME 30 minutes



INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
coarse salt
1 teaspoon chopped rosemary, plus 6 sprigs for ramekins (or any favorite herb)
1 small red onion, sliced into 6 1/4” rounds
4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, grated
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Butter ramekins, then sprinkle with salt, pepper, sugar, and vinegars.
Place a rosemary sprig in the bottom of each ramekin, then lay one onion round over the rosemary.
Toss potatoes with egg, rosemary, and 2 teaspoons coarse salt.
Divide the potatoes into ramekins and dot with remaining butter.
Bake for 30 minutes, until brown.
To remove the cakes, slide a knife around the edge of the ramekin, then turn upside down
 
Anyone know if they're planning a third season of Feasting on Asphalt? I love that show. The world needs more Alton.

It really doesn't.

Unless of course you mean the world needs more of some pansy-ass tv-director-boy wandering the country and giving the cliffnotes version of a multitude of incredibly rich regional cuisines.

And making fun of many low-income food workers along the way.
 
there's nothing like farm fresh milk, NOT homogenized. so the cream rises to the top. swipe the rim of the bottle with your finger and and lick it off, then watch a glob drop into your coffee. breakfast of champions.

after years of this, regular store-bought milk tastes like liquid plastic to me.
 
These Wheat Chex were mighty tastely this morning.


Pour some Wheat Chex in a bowl
Cover with milk (cow/goat/tittie/whatever)

eat before they get soggy


chase with plenty of coffee
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top