Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
that chicken/swiss/lettuce/tomato wrap was tasty this evening.......

Hey Cookies...what's the difference between a non-stick omelette pan and a non-stick frying pan?

Hey Cookies...what's the difference between a non-stick omelette pan and a non-stick frying pan?

http://www.menlo.com/folks/adamm/cooking/tips/pots.html

The differences between omlette pans, frying pans, and saute pans is primarily how much the sides of the pan slope away from the bottom. The sides of an omlette pan flare the most, to make it easy to slide the omlet out of the pan. Frying pan sides slope gently to prevent steam from building up inside the pan. Saute pans have (almost) straight sides so the food "jumps" back into the pan when shaken. For most people, the difference between a frying pan and a saute pan is too subtle to matter; also, many manufacturers sell things called saute pans that are really more like frying pans. If you plan to make omlettes, make sure the pan you buy has sloped sides -- the more slope the better. A 7 inch or 8 inch pan will make a somewhat thick three-egg omlette; in a 9 or 10 in pan it comes out slightly too thin; I have a 10 inch, but would trade down to 9 inches if I could. Then again, I don’t like the egg part of my omlette to be too thick.

Whether you plan to make omlettes or not, get yourself a 10 inch frying pan or saute

Not much. Omelette pans have sloping sides. Some frying pans do not. Omelette pans are not overly large. Some frying pans are. A small slope sided frying pan is...wait for it...AN OMELETTE PAN!

Now get in there and make me one. Don't forget the cheese. I hate it when I have to specify that I want cheese in my omelette. I do not live in France.

Not much. Omelette pans have sloping sides. Some frying pans do not. Omelette pans are not overly large. Some frying pans are. A small slope sided frying pan is...wait for it...AN OMELETTE PAN!

Now get in there and make me one. Don't forget the cheese. I hate it when I have to specify that I want cheese in my omelette. I do not live in France.

So it's just a snooty "chef" thing? Must be because I just bought a 10" & 12" omelette pan set. That's purty big.

Omelette du FROMAGE!!!!!!!

I cook all manner of things in my omelette pans. I'm just that rebellious.

Some degree pan specialization is a good thing, but it can go overboard. If I have the "correct" pan for the food I'm cooking, bully for me. If not, well, that's almost never going to stop me, or make me run out and buy it.

Baking is a differently colored horse, of course.

I cook all manner of things in my omelette pans. I'm just that rebellious.

Some degree pan specialization is a good thing, but it can go overboard. If I have the "correct" pan for the food I'm cooking, bully for me. If not, well, that's almost never going to stop me, or make me run out and buy it.

Baking is a differently colored horse, of course.

You are a WILDMAN!

Yes, that's the thing...the pans I ordered say omelette but are wide-bottomed with quite straight sides, not the more sloping sides that Rose and SF mentioned.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/large/12420.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back