Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hash Brown Casserole

My mother had foot sugury on both feet and was laid up for about a month. During this time, ladies from our church would stop by with casseroles now and then. One woman in particular, Jan, made a hashbrown casserole which we were crazy about. We MAY have lied about my mother being well again, just to squeeze out a couple more from her :D Fortunately, she left us with the recipe. A gentle hint that we were on our own again, I'm sure.

Hash Brown Casserole
Thaw 2 lb bag hash brown potatoes. Or shred that amount and drain for a while on paper towels.
Combine with:
1/2 c. butter
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 T. minced, diced onions
1 can cream of celery or chicken soup
1 c. sour cream
2 c grated American or cheddar cheese.

spread in greased 13x9 pan.

Combine:
1/4 c melted butter
2 c crushed corn flakes

Sprinkle over top. Bake 45 min to 1 hr at 350 uncovered.

Tastes even better the next day. And the day after. And the day after, if there's any left!
 
I finally own a copy of The Joy of Cooking thanks to Santa. I can't wait to experiment with new recipes and I plan on sharing my results. Happy New Year!
 
I inherited my mother's cookbooks, but, I will say that along with "Let's Cook It Right" the cookbook that I use the most is "The Silver Palate Cookbook."

The husband always jokes about me modifying recipes. I try to make it exactly as written the first time and then, after that, I make it according to what I have around.
 
this is awesome!

I want one of these for my Kitchen Aid mixer!! It's about time someone came up with an idea like this!
Side Swipe Spatula Mixer Blade
41s05uoNIHL._AA280_.jpg

http://www.sideswipeblade.com/
This paddle attachment to a stand mixer is made with silicone fins lining the outer blade. The fins enable the SideSwipe to reach all parts of the mixing bowl, including the bottom, and the design of it pushes ingredients down. Thus the SideSwipe is able to incorporate all ingredients fully and you no longer have to stop and scrape.

The only downside is that it may not fit your stand mixer, as this is a pretty new product. The SideSwipe attachment currently fits the tilting Kitchen Aid, but not the lift model. However, they plan on expanding their line in the current months. The website also goes into much more detail and even offers a video demonstration of the SideSwipe in action.

http://www.slashfood.com/2008/01/05/sideswipe-dont-stop-and-scrape/
 
Turkey Meatball & Winter Root Vegetable Soup

IMG_8361.jpg


  • 2 large turnips
  • 2 large rutabagas
  • 3 large parsnips
  • 3 large carrots
  • 1 medium celery root
  • 1 medium bulb fennel
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • kosher salt
  • fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 bunch fresh kale, washed and cut into ribbons
  • chicken or turkey stock (homemade if possible, low-sodium if not)
  • fresh lean (7% fat) ground turkey
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup steel cut oats

This one is my own creation. It sort of came to me in stages, but the finished product is even more delicious than I had hoped. Truly one of my favorite creations.

Preheat oven to 425 F. Peel and dice all vegetables into roughly 1/2" cubes. You can go larger, but I like a smaller dice and a hotter oven, as it gives you more caramelization, which is the whole reason I roast in the first place. Spread evenly (ideally in one layer) in a large shallow baking pan (to make cleanup easier, I line the pan with a few sheets of nonstick aluminum foil, but that is optional), then drizzle lightly with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. "Stir" with your hands to evenly coat all vegetables, then pop into the oven. After 15-20 minutes, stir them well, as they will want to brown more on the bottom than the top. I have no idea how long it took them to finish (I should really start timing these things), but you are basically looking for a nice golden brown color and tender bite.

As the veggies are roasting, cook the steel-cut oats according to package directions, using chicken or turkey broth as the cooking liquid. Let cool, then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add turkey, eggs, a pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper, and mix with hands until well combined. Form into meatballs, then sear them in a skillet with olive oil over medium high heat until just browned (no need to cook them thoroughly, as they will finish cooking in the soup).

Once the veggies are roasted, transfer them to a large stockpot. Cover well with chicken stock, add the ribbons of kale, and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Simmer until the kale is tender, about 30-45 minutes. Using an immersion blender, puree roughly half of the veggies until smooth, then stir well. Adjust for seasoning, bring back to a simmer, and add the browned meatballs, taking care to immerse them well. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, then serve.

Enjoy!
 
Last edited:
(1) big block Velveeta (the spam of cheeses)
(2) hunks Philly cream cheese
(4) pulverized Jalapeños- seeded
(1) with seeds
(1) mix heartily

Sounds like hell but is great on a Frito.
 
Sounds tasty, Bert. Do you nuke it to melt the Velveeta?

Also, give me a name for your creation, so I can add it to the index at the beginning of the thread.
 
Sounds tasty, Bert. Do you nuke it to melt the Velveeta?

Also, give me a name for your creation, so I can add it to the index at the beginning of the thread.

Yes, soften in microwave. I use either a food processor or a big ass mixer. How about: "Death by Velveeta"?
 
I've got beef braising in the oven right now. Nothing fancy, just some 'short rib meat' from costco, floured and browned with some sauted onion and garlic and a half bottle of red wine thrown in. Plus some spices that felt right. I certainly wish I had some fresh herbs to pick and throw into the pot.
 
I think I'll go for squished cat.


The husband made a stew tonight. It was a total failure. I'm making the son something now. And I'll have squished cat.
 
I think I'll go for squished cat.


The husband made a stew tonight. It was a total failure. I'm making the son something now. And I'll have squished cat.

They are best if you squish them at age 6 or younger. The 15 year old cats make for some tough viddles.

:)

I wish I played the banjo.
 
Nah, this is local greek goat. I'm still waiting on my Hester free-range goat.

I had a friend who raised goats here. He'd remark that he was going to slaughter a couple kids. Raised a few eyebrows (from people who didn't know him) when he brought smoked kid into the office.
 
I think I'll go for squished cat.


The husband made a stew tonight. It was a total failure. I'm making the son something now. And I'll have squished cat.

How is stew a failure?

If you make the kid eat it, he'll be thankful for brussel sprouts later.
 
What do you mean what is up with it. It's a mid 80s monte SS. I want one. That is all.

I drove one of those from Arizona to Denver back in the day. I got pulled over in Utah in the middle of the night, going way over the speed limit. All I was wearing was a pair of shorts.

The cops shines the Maglite into the car and says, "where are your shoes, boy?"
 
I drove one of those from Arizona to Denver back in the day. I got pulled over in Utah in the middle of the night, going way over the speed limit. All I was wearing was a pair of shorts.

The cops shines the Maglite into the car and says, "where are your shoes, boy?"

"Sir, the last thing I remember was I was lying on a titanium slab with the lights in my eyes and they were telling me they were going to be following my case for years via these implants. Then I woke up behind the wheel of this vee hicle as you see me now doing 90 per."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top