Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see (and taste) them!

It's funny. I've been cooking feasts for loved ones for years, but I've never done the "goodies as gift" before, as I've never been much of a baker. This year, thanks to Collette's wonderfully easy brittle recipe, I am giving out several tins of pine nut brittle as gifts.

I am the official maker of the family Chex Mix, but there's almost never enough left to send to people. Perhaps I should find something less popular, or just not let my kids know I'm cooking.

Pine nut brittle sounds most interesting. It's bound to be bad for my teeth, though.
 
I am the official maker of the family Chex Mix, but there's almost never enough left to send to people. Perhaps I should find something less popular, or just not let my kids know I'm cooking.

Pine nut brittle sounds most interesting. It's bound to be bad for my teeth, though.

Oh yeah. Homemade Chex Mix is delicious, and near impossible to keep undevoured for long.

You would not believe how easy the brittle recipe is, and you can use any nut you like it in.
 
I am Boston bound in the early morning hours to spend the next few days with my siblings and their families (pray for me;)). I wish all of my favorite foodies a wonderful, and warm Happy Christmas.

you guys are good peeps, thank you for the fun conversation, laughs, and plethora of new recipes.
much love,
Tati:kiss:
 
Lots of love and good wishes to you, sweet Tati, on your trip! Be safe and have lots of fun!:rose:
 
I am Boston bound in the early morning hours to spend the next few days with my siblings and their families (pray for me;)). I wish all of my favorite foodies a wonderful, and warm Happy Christmas.
Merry Christmas, Tati! Hope you and yours have a wonderful time. :rose:

Lots of love and good wishes to you, sweet Tati, on your trip! Be safe and have lots of fun!:rose:
And a very Merry Christmas to you, hon. May you spend warm, happy time with those you love. :rose:
 
I hope you all have a Christmas full of warmth, smiles, laughter, and Foodgasms.

:heart:
 
Pfeffernusse


Pfeffernusse.jpg



2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. crushed aniseeds
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves

1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temp.)
3/4 cup firmly packed light. brown sugar
1/4 cup light. molasses
1 egg
approx. 2 cups confectioner's sugar for dusting

In a medium bowl, sift together all of the (9) dry ingredients. In a large bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, and molasses until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in the egg. Reduce mixer to low and beat in the flour mixture. Cover and refrigerate for several hours.

Preheat oven to 350, with rack in the middle.

Scoop up pieces of dough and roll between your palms into 1 1/2 inch balls. Place on baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart.

Bake until golden brown on the bottom and firm to the touch, about 14 minutes. Transfer the baking sheets to racks and let cool slightly. Place the confectioner's sugar in a sturdy paper bag. Drop the warm cookies in, a few at a time, and shake to coat. Transfer them back to the rack and allow to cool completely.

Store in an airtight container at cool room temp. for up to 1 week. Makes approx. 2 1/2 dozen.
 
I came home with 2 cups of fresh goose fat (cassoulet), chipotle pepper flakes and Calhoun's VA-cure sidemeat.
 
I'm unfamiliar with goose fat, but I'm wagering that it is in all particulars quite similar to duck fat, which is pure rendered sex. If you've ever had real, honest duck confit, you know whereof I speak.

Enjoy your bounty, rapscallion.
 
even tho I am all baked out...

I have almond paste and buttermilk to use up, I found this recipe, and I think I will try it out this weekend.

Royal Raspberry and Almond Cake with Toasted Almond Glaze
ratc6.jpg

1/2 cup almond paste
1/3 cup oil
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp almond extract
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder (3/4 tsp for 8500 feet elevation)
3/4 cup raspberries

toasted almond glaze
1 tbsp cream
1/4 tsp almond extract
3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
3 tablespoons finely chopped toasted almonds

Preheat oven to 325F. *Jen’s note: Pulse the almond paste and sugar together in a food processor until fine grained and mixed. Combine the first seven ingredients together until blended. Add flour and baking powder and stir until dry ingredients are just moistened. Gently fold in the raspberries. Place batter into a greased 10-inch tube pan (or bundt) and bake for 45 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. [For a double batch, bake for about 1 hour and 5 minutes]. Allow to cool in pan. To make the toasted almond glaze, stir together all of the ingredients until blended. When cake is cool, remove from pan and drizzle top with toasted almond glaze. Serves 8 to 10.

http://jenyu.net/blog/2007/12/26/favorite-tea-cake/
 
Merry Christmas, Tati! Hope you and yours have a wonderful time. :rose:


And a very Merry Christmas to you, hon. May you spend warm, happy time with those you love. :rose:

Thank you, gorgeous. I did. :) I truly hope you enjoyed your holiday, too.:rose:
 
OMG!! Tati, I got it!!! Thank you sooo much!! Sweet heavens you went above and beyond!!:heart:
 
I'm unfamiliar with goose fat, but I'm wagering that it is in all particulars quite similar to duck fat, which is pure rendered sex. If you've ever had real, honest duck confit, you know whereof I speak.

Enjoy your bounty, rapscallion.

I'm gonna make a cassoulet.
 
I'm gonna make a cassoulet.

I've yet to fly solo on a classic cassoulet, but I did play sous chef for a good friend on hers one year. Hers was a variation of Anthony Bourdain's cassoulet from the Les Halles cookbook, but he had a clear error in the recipe, something about doing the confit at a ridiculous temperature. I'm sure it's been corrected in subsequent editions.

Anyway, let us know how it turns out!

I made my favorite blackeyed peas recipe yesterday, just in time for New Years. It was a creation of that same cassoulet-cooking friend. Here's the recipe:

  • 1 pound chuck roast
  • vegetable oil
  • 2/3 cup dried blackeyed peas
  • 1 large onion
  • 1 bunch swiss chard (red or green)
  • red wine
  • beef broth
  • salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 325. Coat the bottom of a large casserole with oil, bring to high heat. Cut beef into 1 1/2 inch cubes, season with salt and pepper, then brown on all sides in the oil. Remove. Deglaze pan with a bit of the red wine. Dump the blackeyed peas in. Cut the onion into large, rustic chunks, then spread over the peas. Add the browned beef over the onions. Wash the chard well, then chiffonade into ribbons (including the stalks). Add to the pot. Add 1/3 bottle of the red wine, then add just enough beef broth to reach the bottom of the chard. Put the lid on the casserole and pop it in the oven. Let it cook for 3 1/2 hours, stirring once halfway through.
 
I can't wait until he gets home...

Did quite a bit of cooking over the last week and have miscellaneous ingredients about...


Red pepper shells roasted in olive oil and fresh garlic and rosemary... the shells are filled with the leftover lasagna/ricotta filling, thinly sliced ham, and mozzarella cheese. Oh my God! If I didn't already have a ring... ;)

350° for 15-20 minutes
 
Did quite a bit of cooking over the last week and have miscellaneous ingredients about...


Red pepper shells roasted in olive oil and fresh garlic and rosemary... the shells are filled with the leftover lasagna/ricotta filling, thinly sliced ham, and mozzarella cheese. Oh my God! If I didn't already have a ring... ;)

350° for 15-20 minutes

sounds very yummy!

pictures...we need pictures!
 



Oh, alright...

I must be tired, because I KNOW I can get a better picture than this!

And as for the peppers... I wasn't trying to emulate Martha Stewart. :p
 

Attachments

  • mmm-peppers.jpg
    mmm-peppers.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 61
  • ring-2-W.jpg
    ring-2-W.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 49
ooooooh, I SO should not have looked at the pepper picture...I'm STARVIN' Marvin right now, and those yummy bits of caramelized garlic and the melty, cheesey goodness look sooooo good!

And the ring is very beautiful!! I'm so happy for you...SO. HAPPY!:kiss:
 
ok foodies, I need a casserole recipe to bring to a potluck. Something tried and true...whatcha got?
 
ok foodies, I need a casserole recipe to bring to a potluck. Something tried and true...whatcha got?

I always did the pasta special - like lasagna, but with rotelle or macaroni in layers with cheeses and sauce and sausage/hamburger mix...

Easy and effective.
 
I would have done that...but someone else beat me to it!! bastards
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top