Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Admire the Saltines in all their beauty...

128554659_091049a544.jpg

This is one of my favorite recipes but it is so rich that I don't make it often. If you have to ask how many calories are in this don't bother making it because it's bound to be high. Tastes good though.

Chicken Asparagus Casserole

1/4 cup shortening
2 chicken breasts (halved)
1-1/2 teaspoon accent
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup mayonaise
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 can asparagus (drained)
1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)

Heat shortening. Add chicken, accent and pepper - cook 15 minutes and drain. Cream together (whisk) soup, mayonaise, curry powder and lemon juice. Place asparagus in bottom of casserole dish. Add chicken on top. Pour soup mixture evenly over chicken. Cover all with cheddar cheese.

Bake (uncovered) at 350 degrees about 30 minutes.

Collette's Pfeffernüsse

IMG_7255.jpg

So. Damn. Delicious. The perfect balance of spice and sweet, with an amazing texture. Pure concentrated essence of Foodgasm.

:heart:

ALL of the goodies Collette sent me are mouthwatering. I'll take pictures of the rest when I put them out for the parties.

Last edited:
I just received treats from English Lady

chocolate fudge and a slice of tasty cake...very yummy. I had a nibble.

Much as I love baking from scratch, the holidays can be overwhelming. I like giving food gifts to neighbors, school teachers, etc., so I love finding recipes that are quick, but yield attractive results. Here is an old standby and a new find...

Cashew Brittle

Ingredients:

9.5 oz. can or 2 cups roasted, salted cashew halves (or other nut)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda

1. In a 2 qt. microwave-safe bowl (preferably glass, with a handle), stir together nuts, sugar, and corn syrup. Microwave, uncovered, at high until mixture is light brown (approx. 6 min.). Stir halfway through.

2. Meanwhile, grease a cookie sheet with butter.

3. Using oven mitts, remove mixture and add the butter and vanilla. Microwave again for 1 minute. It should become caramel colored.

4. Remove from microwave, add baking soda. Stir quickly until light & foamy and soda is mixed in. Pour mixture onto cookie sheet and use the back of a spoon to spread out as quickly as possible. (Brittle will be fairly thick.)
5. Let stand for 30 min. Break into pieces and serve. Can store in an airtight tin up to 2 weeks.

*Disclaimer: I've always made this in a full size microwave and it turned out perfect with the given times. I just tried it for the first time in my new home, where I have a spacesaver one (lower wattage). I noticed that it turned out chewy, so I made another batch, adding a minute to each of the steps. Much better! If unsure, pay close attention to the color changes.

I made a version of this today, using 2 cups of pine nuts in place of the cashews. The pine nuts were unsalted, so I added a good pinch of salt at the beginning. I also added some grated clementine zest to the mixture at the same time as the butter.

It turned out beautifully. Toasty, nutty, crisp, buttery, and delicious. The aroma of the pine nuts was incredible. I'm going to give several tins of it as gifts to family members. I could not believe how simple and easy the whole thing was. Just a few minutes, just a few ingredients, and the result was a fantastic confection.

I snapped a picture with my camera phone. I'll take better pictures tomorrow, but I'll post this one now:

pinenut.jpg

God, I love this thread! I cant wait til Christmas day. Im cooking so much food - its gonna be fantastic!

i have cookies in the oven right now
like a chocolate chip cookie base, but with skor bits, oatmeal, coconut and pecans.
i'm far too excited than i should be

i have cookies in the oven right now
like a chocolate chip cookie base, but with skor bits, oatmeal, coconut and pecans.
i'm far too excited than i should be
It is not possible to get overly excited about anything involving chocolate and/or toffee. Ok, 'fess up. Do you nibble on the dough during the process?

Hmmm. This is such a yummy thread.

For holiday snackin goodies I made two kinds of biscotti: vanilla with pistachios and dried cherries and chocolate with hazelnuts and candied ginger. And both kinds dipped in white chocolate. :)

Dinner tomorrow starts with mini crab cakes, then prime rib with a garlic/horseradish/rosemary crust, cooked rare with pan roasted potatoes and parsnips, carrots. Also green beans with mushrooms and almonds, roasted butternut squash and sweet potato buscuits. Monkey bread for dessert, so we can pick at it as we open presents. :)

You know what monkey bread is, right?

monkeybread-cinnamon-thumb.jpg

Those sound quite tasty; I will have to give them a try. Thank you for sharing.
You're welcome and thanks for quoting me.
Many times either my posts get overloooked, members have their own clicks, or people just don't give a damn about me.
Sometimes I feel very alone, especially since I am banned on most sites for no good reason.

Check out this low fat smoothie alternative:
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Recipe
Sounds better than eggnog.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back