Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holiday Pièce de Résistance

I was always charged with making the desserts for holiday dinners and I usually attempted the featured cake on the cover of Southern Living's Dec. issue for that particular year. This cake was in one of their "Home for the Holidays" magazine (1998) and is a definite favorite. All scratch, but worth the effort! The white chocolate frosting and the cranberry curd also work great with other dessert recipes.

wchoc-crancake.jpg

Cranberry-Filled White Chocolate Cake

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 (4oz.) white choc. bar, melted
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup half-and-half
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Cranberry Curd (recipe to follow)
White Chocolate Frosting (recipe to follow)

-Beat butter at medium speed until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add melted chocolate, beating until blended.

-Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture, alternating with half-and-half, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed after each addition until blended. Stir in vanilla. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 8" round pans.

-Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 min. or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 min., then remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.

-Spread Cranberry Curd between each cake layer. Spread White Chocolate Frosting on top and sides of cake. Spread 1 cup Cranberry-Curd on the top of the cake.

-Spoon remaining frosting into a decorating bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe frosting around the base and top edge of the cake, creating a ruffle. Serve with the remaining 1 cup of Cranberry Curd and garnish, if desired.

Cranberry Curd
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup cranberry juice cocktail
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
4 cups fresh cranberries

-Cook first 5 ingredients in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until butter melts. Add fresh cranberries and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and cranberry skins pop (10-12 min.); cool. Cover and chill. Yields: 4 cups.

White Chocolate Frosting
1 cup butter, softened
8 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/2-3/4 cup half-and-half
3 oz. white chocolate, melted
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

-Beat butter at med. speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar and half-and-half, beating until light and fluffy. Add white chocolate and vanilla, beating until spreading consistency. Yield: 5 cups

Collette said:
I was always charged with making the desserts for holiday dinners and I usually attempted the featured cake on the cover of Southern Living's Dec. issue for that particular year. This cake was in one of their "Home for the Holidays" magazine (1998) and is a definite favorite. All scratch, but worth the effort! The white chocolate frosting and the cranberry curd also work great with other dessert recipes.

That looks as lovely and delicious as you!!

1hotbabe said:
That looks as lovely and delicious as you!!
Thanks, sweetie! :rose:

I made this one last year. It looks great and is really quick and simple (uses mixes). It's perfect when you need an impressive looking dessert, but don't have a lot of time. :)

Red Velvet-Peppermint Cake

cake.jpg

The recipe is here .

Collette said:

I made this one last year. It looks great and is really quick and simple (uses mixes). It's perfect when you need an impressive looking dessert, but don't have a lot of time. :)

cake.jpg

The recipe is here .

Thank you very much, I'm so going to make this cake for Christmas. It looks awesome, easy and yummy.

I made these Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cakes on Thursday and received rave reviews, much to my surprise.

pa1a01_cake1_e.jpg

BallinaB said:
Thank you very much, I'm so going to make this cake for Christmas. It looks awesome, easy and yummy.

I made these Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cakes on Thursday and received rave reviews, much to my surprise.

pa1a01_cake1_e.jpg
Mmmmm, those sound wonderful! (I :heart: Paula Deen.) I'll definitely give this recipe a try. I love pumpkin and always want more ideas.

Collette said:

cake.jpg

The recipe is here .
*sigh*
Collette, you're making me drool! These two recipes look incredibly decadent and delicious! Thank you for posting them.

BallinaB said:

pa1a01_cake1_e.jpg
sweet jesus! I'm gonna die. You guys are killing me. Sweets are my weakness!

VermilionSkye said:
sweet jesus! I'm gonna die. You guys are killing me. Sweets are my weakness!
They're mine, too! Tort gave me a copy of the Ghirardelli Chocolate Cookbook and it's calling to me, wanting me to try out some recipes...*sigh*

Evil, evil book!

cookbook_300.jpg

Collette said:
They're mine, too! Tort gave me a copy of the Ghirardelli Chocolate Cookbook and it's calling to me, wanting me to try out some recipes...*sigh*

Evil, evil book!

cookbook_300.jpg
Omg! I want that book! Shame on you, Tort! *sigh* I can't wait to try my hand at truffles soon!

I made these today, so yummy with a hot cup of tea.

Gingerbread Bars with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing
11771_Gingerbread-Bars.jpg

Makes 27 (1 bar) servings.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup molasses
3 tablespoons water

Lemon Cream Cheese Icing:
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon extract

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 13x9-inch baking pan with foil. Spray foil with no stick cooking spray. Mix flour, baking soda, salt and spices; set aside.
2. Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Gradually stir in flour mixture until well mixed. Add molasses and water; mix until just blended. Spread in prepared pan.
3. For the Icing, beat cream cheese in large bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and lemon extract until smooth. Using 1/2 cup of the icing, spoon dollops (about 1 teaspoon each) over batter in pan. With a knife, swirl icing through batter with 3 to 4 large strokes in each direction to marbleize. Refrigerate remaining icing.

4. Bake 30 minutes or until gingerbread begins to pull away from edges. Lift out of pan using foil. Cool completely on wire rack. Invert and peel off foil. Spread refrigerated icing over gingerbread. Cut into 27 bars, 3x1-inch each. Store in refrigerator.

Those look yummy, Tati!

I have a question for the foodies in the thread! I have made butter toffee, but cannot seem to get the chocolate to stay on it! Any suggestions?

VermilionSkye said:
Those look yummy, Tati!

I have a question for the foodies in the thread! I have made butter toffee, but cannot seem to get the chocolate to stay on it! Any suggestions?
If it's got butter on the surface, it will cause the chocolate to slide right off. Try wiping any excess butter/grease off with paper towels.

cheesysusie said:
If it's got butter on the surface, it will cause the chocolate to slide right off. Try wiping any excess butter/grease off with paper towels.
It's definitely the butter!

cheesysusie said:
Just wipe it dry with paper towels or a regular towel or whatever.
I'll give it a whirl. I want to try and covered the toffee and then sprinkle it with crushed hazelnuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back