Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
CrackerjackHrt said:
you might as well as order some andouille, too.
I prefer to use it in my jambalaya but not many places here carry it and its too spicy for some.

rosco rathbone said:
oi. This cajun page looks pretty great and has a big list of mailorder suppliers.

www.gumbopages.com

That little nerdy New Orleans expate is the bomb diggity! He really knows his libations, too.

We're making one of his savory bread puddings for Thanksgiving.

Rambling Rose said:
That little nerdy New Orleans expate is the bomb diggity! He really knows his libations, too.

We're making one of his savory bread puddings for Thanksgiving.

Don't lie to us, Rose. You are having oatmeal. Instant. Plain.

Cinnamon Crumble Apple Pie

I tried this recipe two weeks ago and it was so good I made it again last night. Using half oatmeal and half flour in the topping as suggested in the reviews is a good idea.

108650.jpg

Crust
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 cup frozen solid vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3 tablespoons (or more) ice water
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Filling
3 1/4 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Topping
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

Vanilla ice cream

PreparationFor crust:
Mix flour, salt, and sugar in large bowl. Add butter and shortening; rub in with fingertips until coarse meal forms. Mix 3 tablespoons ice water and vinegar in small bowl to blend. Drizzle over flour mixture; stir with fork until moist clumps form, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 30 minutes.
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch; turn edge under and crimp decoratively. Refrigerate while preparing filling and topping.

For filling:
Mix all ingredients in large bowl to coat apples.

For topping:
Blend first 5 ingredients in processor. Add chilled butter cubes; using on/off turns, cut in until mixture resembles wet sand.

Toss filling to redistribute juices; transfer to crust, mounding in center. Pack topping over and around apples. Bake pie on baking sheet until topping is golden, about 40 minutes (cover top with foil if browning too quickly). Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake until apples in center are tender when pierced and filling is bubbling thickly at edges, about 45 minutes longer. Cool until warm, about 1 hour. Serve with ice cream.

Question on Gingerbread

Okay all you food gurus, would appreciate some "techical" help.

I have a recipe for gingerbread cookies which call for blackstrap molassas to be combined with baking soda to help neutralize it. As the molassas is a bit tricky to find where I am, I've been told that treacle makes an okay substitute, but don't know if I still need to neutralize it (heh, makes me sound like the Terminator or something).

Any thoughts/ideas/expereince in such matters?

honeypot104 said:
Okay all you food gurus, would appreciate some "techical" help.

I have a recipe for gingerbread cookies which call for blackstrap molassas to be combined with baking soda to help neutralize it. As the molassas is a bit tricky to find where I am, I've been told that treacle makes an okay substitute, but don't know if I still need to neutralize it (heh, makes me sound like the Terminator or something).

Any thoughts/ideas/expereince in such matters?

I've recently read the same thing (about using treacle instead of molasses). I have no idea what the baking soda is neturalising so I can't hazard a guess as to whether or not you'd need to do the same with the treacle. I think treacle is sweeter than blackstrap, however. What say you other foodies?

PS: I love Molasses. I love a big gob stirred into milk, instead of chocolate syrup. Mmm....

raindancer said:
I just ate the creamiest, most delicious shrimp risotto.

I'll type up the recipe and post later.
That sounds delicious! I'm making a pumpkin and sage risotto for Thanksgiving, instead of potatoes. Can't wait to see your recipe!

Tinkersquash said:
I've recently read the same thing (about using treacle instead of molasses). I have no idea what the baking soda is neturalising so I can't hazard a guess as to whether or not you'd need to do the same with the treacle. I think treacle is sweeter than blackstrap, however. What say you other foodies?

PS: I love Molasses. I love a big gob stirred into milk, instead of chocolate syrup. Mmm....

Thanks Tinkersquash...I guess I could Google it, but that would be way too much like hard work :)

Not sure about substituting molassas for chocolate...think that's taking things just a little too far!

I had a foodgasm earlier without taking a single bite of food.

I started my first Christmas cake last ngiht by soaking raisins,currants,mixed peel and sultanas in brandy. I continued to follow my recipe this morning and when I uncovered the dried fruit I just got this nostril full of christmas and I was in heaven. Then mixing the fruit into the cake mix added the hints of citrus and butter and brown sugar and nutmeg and mixed spice...magic. And Now I can smell it cooking and I just feel blissful, like you feel after a damn good orgasm.

For the Americans, I'm talking about proper, lovely Christmas fruit cake, I've heard terrible tales about the American equivalent. Here is the exact recipe I use from Delia, the Cookery Diva.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/the-classic-christmas-cake,1293,RC.html

I'm going to attempt her Christmas pudding this year, too :)

OWN_NEST07FAL_Landmarc08.jpg

Rock Shrimp Risotto

3 Tbl. olive oil

1 small white onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, chopped

3/4 lb. arborio rice

1 cup white wine

4 cups shrimp stock (recipe below or available at any gourmet store)

2 Tbl. rosemary, chopped

1 lb. rock shrimp

1/4 cup butter

Salt and black pepper

Shrimp Stock

1 lb. shrimp shells (available at any fish market)

1 large onion

1 large carrot

1 celery stalk

1/4 cup tomato paste

4 cups water

Directions

Shrimp Stock
Add all ingredients to a large pot and let simmer for about 1 hour. Strain and cool. Note This makes about a quart and can be frozen for up to one month.

For the risotto
Heat oil in a medium sauce pan and sweat onions and garlic. Add rice, toss to coat and cook on low heat for 2 minutes. Add wine and let simmer, stirring constantly. When all the wine has evaporated, add 1 cup of shrimp stock and stir constantly until absorbed. Add the next cup of stock and stir until absorbed; repeat. Add rosemary, rock shrimp and butter and stir until hot and shrimp are cooked through, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Save time by par-cooking the risotto in the afternoon. Add stock and white wine and cook until al dente (15 minutes). Spread in a thin layer in a large sheet pan and refrigerate. Heat remaining stock, add remaining ingredients, and serve.

Collette said:
That sounds delicious! I'm making a pumpkin and sage risotto for Thanksgiving, instead of potatoes. Can't wait to see your recipe!

Yum! Let us know how it turns out!

English Lady said:
For the Americans, I'm talking about proper, lovely Christmas fruit cake, I've heard terrible tales about the American equivalent. Here is the exact recipe I use from Delia, the Cookery Diva.

Yours sounds wonderful! You're right about the store-bought American version. No true friend would give it to another.

raindancer said:
Rock Shrimp Risotto
Mmmmmm, I haven't had rock shrimp in forever. My parents live in Florida, near the Intracoastal Waterway (Indian River section), where it's plentiful. I've never found it in my area.

Collette said:
Yours sounds wonderful! You're right about the store-bought American version. No true friend would give it to another.

Mine is delicious, even if I do say so myself. It IS Christmas in a cake. Yum. Well, once you add the marzipan and icing it is :)

English Lady said:
Mine is delicious, even if I do say so myself. It IS Christmas in a cake. Yum. Well, once you add the marzipan and icing it is :)
What do you ice your cake with? Do you use fondant? I just missed an opportunity to buy a Morrisons classic iced Christmas cake. I'd been looking forward to trying one such cake!

Lavared said:
I tried this recipe two weeks ago and it was so good I made it again last night. Using half oatmeal and half flour in the topping as suggested in the reviews is a good idea.

108650.jpg

Looks amazing, Lavared. Welcome to the thread!

English Lady said:

I started my first Christmas cake last ngiht by soaking raisins,currants,mixed peel and sultanas in brandy. I continued to follow my recipe this morning and when I uncovered the dried fruit I just got this nostril full of christmas and I was in heaven. Then mixing the fruit into the cake mix added the hints of citrus and butter and brown sugar and nutmeg and mixed spice...magic. And Now I can smell it cooking and I just feel blissful, like you feel after a damn good orgasm.

You have made me hungry. I love fruitcake.

English Lady said:

The way this article is worded calls for a sharing with all the Foodies:

The Classic Christmas Cake

This, with no apologies, is a Christmas cake that has been in print since 1978, has been made and loved by thousands and is, along with the Traditional Christmas Pudding, one of the most popular recipes I've produced. It is rich, dark and quite moist, so will not suit those who like a crumblier texture. Recently we took some of these cakes along to book-signing sessions up and down the country and were quite amazed to see so many people take a mouthful and then buy a book!

Ingredients
1 lb (450 g) currants
6 oz (175 g) sultanas
6 oz (175 g) raisins
2 oz (50 g) glacé cherries, rinsed, dried and finely chopped
2 oz (50 g) mixed candied peel, finely chopped
3 tablespoons brandy, plus extra for 'feeding'
8 oz (225 g) plain flour
½ level teaspoon salt
¼ level teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
½ level teaspoon ground mixed spice
8 oz (225 g) unsalted butter
8 oz (225 g) soft brown sugar
4 large eggs
2 oz (50 g) almonds, chopped (the skins can be left on)
1 level dessertspoon black treacle
grated zest 1 lemon
grated zest 1 orange
4 oz (110 g) whole blanched almonds (only if you don't intend to ice the cake)

You will also need an 8 inch (20 cm) round cake tin or a 7 inch (18 cm square tin, greased and lined with silicone paper (baking parchment). Tie a band of brown paper round the outside of the tin for extra protection.

You need to begin this cake the night before you want to bake it. All you do is weigh out the dried fruit and mixed peel, place it in a mixing bowl and mix in the brandy as evenly and thoroughly as possible. Cover the bowl with a clean tea cloth and leave the fruit aside to absorb the brandy for 12 hours.

Next day pre-heat the oven to gas mark 1, 275°F (140°C). Then measure out all the rest of the ingredients, ticking them off to make quite sure they're all there. The treacle will be easier to measure if you remove the lid and place the tin in a small pan of barely simmering water.

Now begin the cake by sifting the flour, salt and spices into a large mixing bowl, lifting the sieve up high to give the flour a good airing. Next, in a separate large mixing bowl, whisk the butter and sugar together until it's light, pale and fluffy. Now beat the eggs in a separate bowl and add them to the creamed mixture a tablespoonful at a time; keep the whisk running until all the egg is incorporated. If you add the eggs slowly by degrees like this the mixture won't curdle. If it does, don't worry, any cake full of such beautiful things can't fail to taste good! When all the egg has been added, fold in the flour and spices, using gentle, folding movements and not beating at all (this is to keep all that precious air in). Now fold in the fruit, peel, chopped nuts and treacle and finally the grated lemon and orange zests.

Next, using a large kitchen spoon, transfer the cake mixture into the prepared tin, spread it out evenly with the back of a spoon and, if you don't intend to ice the cake, lightly drop the whole blanched almonds in circles or squares all over the surface. Finally cover the top of the cake with a double square of silicone paper with a 50p-size hole in the centre (this gives extra protection during the long slow cooking). Bake the cake on the lowest shelf of the oven for 4½-4¾ hours. Sometimes it can take up to ½-¾ hour longer than this, but in any case don't look till at least 4 hours have passed.

Cool the cake for 30 minutes in the tin, then remove it to a wire rack to finish cooling. When it's cold 'feed' it – make small holes in the top and base of the cake with a cocktail stick or small skewer, then spoon over a few teaspoons of brandy, wrap it in double silicone paper secured with an elastic band and either wrap again in foil or store in an airtight container. You can now feed it at odd intervals until you need to ice or eat it.

This recipe is taken from Delia Smith’s Christmas.

I wanted to share a few Thanksgiving feast photos with you foodies.

As it was the first time I made it, my love's Torta di Riso was the biggest hit:

IMG_7217.jpg

IMG_7216.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back