Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tatiana0706 said:
Chicken Bacon Roulades
Chicken breasts, pounded thin, stuffed with bacon, shallots, and Parmesan, rolled up, browned, roasted, then served sliced, with a creamy white sauce.
chicken-bacon-roulades.jpg

Oh, goodness.

Delicious, Tati!

just discover this thread......so many thank yous Tortoise.....wonderful

glo33 said:
just discover this thread......so many thank yous Tortoise.....wonderful

The pleasure is mine. Welcome to the thread, and please feel free to contribute, be it a recipe or just ruminations on some of your favorite foodgasms.

tortoise said:
The pleasure is mine. Welcome to the thread, and please feel free to contribute, be it a recipe or just ruminations on some of your favorite foodgasms.
...i'll do that....thank you!
and nice to meet you :)

Hester said:
anyone have ideas for making game not taste so gamey?
Is this something you're field dressing yourself or buying pre-packaged?

Also, what type of meat?

Collette said:
Is this something you're field dressing yourself or buying pre-packaged?

Also, what type of meat?
either for future catch (field dressed), frozen from last year, or home grown and sent to the butcher/processor. i eat a lot of non-commercial meats (non-commercial food in general, for that matter).

I find that a good long, slow braise works great with most game. A good amount of a dry red wine in the braising liquid can definitely help with the gaminess. Warm spices like cumin, hot spices like cayenne... big, bold flavors. The beauty of game is that you don't have to pussyfoot around it; it can definitely stand up to robust flavors, and they can turn the gaminess into a feature rather than a bug.

If you do go for a quick grill, say for a venison steak, I think splashing on a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice at the end can definitely cut the gaminess as well. The acidity of most marinades can help, too.

tortoise said:
I find that a good long, slow braise works great with most game. A good amount of a dry red wine in the braising liquid can definitely help with the gaminess. Warm spices like cumin, hot spices like cayenne... big, bold flavors. The beauty of game is that you don't have to pussyfoot around it; it can definitely stand up to robust flavors, and they can turn the gaminess into a feature rather than a bug.

If you do go for a quick grill, say for a venison steak, I think splashing on a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice at the end can definitely cut the gaminess as well. The acidity of most marinades can help, too.

That just made my belly growl.

Hester said:
either for future catch (field dressed), frozen from last year, or home grown and sent to the butcher/processor. i eat a lot of non-commercial meats (non-commercial food in general, for that matter).
A lot of it depends on the health/age of the animal. When field dressing, be careful to remove all hair. Even a few pieces cooked can alter the taste. Game fat can be more "sour", so the more that can be removed, the better. The downside to that is it tends to be drier meat anyway, so it helps to cook it in liquid. De-boning the meat also helps. Obviously, though, unless you hunt and dress yourself, you don't have control over much of this and have to rely on cooking methods.

I haven't tried this, but I read that if the meat is frozen, you can rub it with salt before thawing. Says it helps remove the gamey taste.

TdiR.jpg

Torta Di Riso

-This is risotto that is baked in a springform pan, then cut into wedges for serving. It needs to refrigerate overnight so make one day ahead. Great for parties and get-togethers!

6 T. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
½ C. bread crumbs (I use Italian.)
10 C. chicken stock
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 C. finely chopped mixed fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, basil,
parsley, and oregano
3 C. arborio rice
1 C. dry white wine
½ C. grated parmesan, plus more for garnish
salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Butter an 8-inch springform pan and coat with bread crumbs, shaking out excess. Set aside. In a large saucepan, heat stock to boiling, then lower to a simmer.

2. In another large, heavy saucepan over low heat, melt 3 T. of butter. Add onion, garlic, and about 2/3 C. of the herbs. Cook until soft and transparent. Increase heat to medium and add rice. Stir well to coat all the grains.

3. Add wine and simmer, stirring constantly, until mostly evaporated. Add 1 C. of hot stock and simmer, stirring constantly, until mostly absorbed, about 3 minutes. Add remaining stock a ladleful at a time, stirring constantly. (Always wait until one ladleful is nearly absorbed before adding the next.) Continue until rice is creamy and firm Add wine and simmer, stirring constantly, until mostly evaporated. Add 1 C. of, but not hard in the center. Total cooking time should be about 15-20 minutes, but taste to check doneness. Add remaining herbs about halfway through the cooking time.

4. Stir in remaining 3 T. of butter, Parmesan, salt and pepper to taste. Pour into prepared pan and cool completely. Refrigerate overnight.

5. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Bake torta for about 30 minutes, or until heated through.

6. Unmold torta carefully onto a plate, sprinkle additional grated Parmesan over the top, slice into wedges, and serve.

Mouthwateringly gorgeous! And the torta looks lovely, too.

I am going to make this for a party tomorrow. They will be completely dazzled. Yummy noises will ensue.

Dazzled. I know the feeling, very well.

:kiss:

Collette said:
A lot of it depends on the health/age of the animal. When field dressing, be careful to remove all hair. Even a few pieces cooked can alter the taste. Game fat can be more "sour", so the more that can be removed, the better. The downside to that is it tends to be drier meat anyway, so it helps to cook it in liquid. De-boning the meat also helps. Obviously, though, unless you hunt and dress yourself, you don't have control over much of this and have to rely on cooking methods.

I haven't tried this, but I read that if the meat is frozen, you can rub it with salt before thawing. Says it helps remove the gamey taste.
Taking care of the meat is paramount after pulling the trigger. I see too many hunters that either have no idea what they are doing when field dressing an animal or are mostly concerned about a "trophy" for their wall. I believe that any sour taste, even in game fat, is due to poor care. When I hang the meat, for aging, I usually coat the unbutchered carcass with a spray of half lemon juice and half tabasco sauce. Just mix it up, put it in a clean spray bottle and fog it onto the meat. The acid keeps the bacteria at bay and the pepper keeps the flies away. You can also soak your game bags in this mixture, dry them and pack them tightly in a ziplok or two before going into the field.

When you see someone with a deer strapped over the hood of their car, don't eat game at thier house.

How have I missed this thread? Food and sex are my two passions.

I am Italian and will definately be sharing some of my recipes..........But today it's enjoying the last days of summer, that means beach. I've made Muffulleta Sandwiches.....I'm in Jersey so it's Ciabatta Bread, extra sharp imported Provolone, imported Proscuitto and Genoa Salami with my special Olive Salad:
1 (44-oz) jar olives stuffed with pimentos, drained
3-1/2 tablespoons brine from olives
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 ( 8 oz) jar marinated cocktail onions, drained
4 celery stalks, halved lengthwise, sliced thin
3 tablespoons capers, drained
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil

I made the sandwiches last night and wrapped them tight. They have been soaking in all the deliciousness. :D We will all be having oral orgasms.

tortoise said:
Mouthwateringly gorgeous! And the torta looks lovely, too.

I am going to make this for a party tomorrow. They will be completely dazzled. Yummy noises will ensue.

Dazzled. I know the feeling, very well.

:kiss:
I can't wait to hear your opinion of it. Feel free to call and make yummy noises, regardless. ;)

Ditto on dazzled, sweetie. :kiss:

thør said:
Taking care of the meat is paramount after pulling the trigger. I see too many hunters that either have no idea what they are doing when field dressing an animal or are mostly concerned about a "trophy" for their wall. I believe that any sour taste, even in game fat, is due to poor care. When I hang the meat, for aging, I usually coat the unbutchered carcass with a spray of half lemon juice and half tabasco sauce. Just mix it up, put it in a clean spray bottle and fog it onto the meat. The acid keeps the bacteria at bay and the pepper keeps the flies away. You can also soak your game bags in this mixture, dry them and pack them tightly in a ziplok or two before going into the field.

When you see someone with a deer strapped over the hood of their car, don't eat game at thier house.
I completely agree. I think it applies to before pulling the trigger, too. Trophy hunters are more apt to seek out a mature buck for the rack (It's Lit. I had to get "rack" in here somehow. ;) ), rather than choosing an animal that would be the best source of meat.

vetteman said:
If we were talking about "Lit Racks" you'd have been mounted long ago.

muttley-1.gif

Hey babe, you left my rack hangin' over here...

Now that I'm here though I can see Collette's points racking up! :D

1hotbabe said:
Hey babe, you left my rack hangin' over here...

Now that I'm here though I can see Collette's points racking up! :D

vetteman said:
They appear to be pointing skyward. :D
After all of this, the two of you had better post a recipe! ;)

Oh right, this thread has a theme!

Hearty Salmon Chowder

This is an excellent one course meal, is heart smart and if you use canned salmon you just crush the bones and add them as well and you increase the calcium content It's a good recipe to take along with you on a camping or fishing trip. Serve with a slice of coarse whole grain bread and enjoy!

Makes 4 main-course servings( 1 3/4 cups per serving)

Ingredients:
1 can (7 1/2 oz / 213 mL) salmon
2 tsp soft Butter or Margarine
1/2 cup each chopped onion and celery
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups diced potatoes
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup each chicken stock and water
1/2 tsp each coarse pepper and dill seed
1 cup diced zucchini
1 can (14 oz) 2% evaporated milk
1 can (10 oz ) cream style corn
Pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (great for the stomach)

Drain and flake salmon, reserving liquid. In a Lg. nonstick saucepan, melt butter/margarine over medium heat; cook onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic, stirring often, for five minutes or until veggies are tender.

Add potatoes, carrots, chicken stock, water, pepper and dill; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until veggies are tender. Add zucchini; simmer, covered for 5 minutes.

Add salmon, reserved salmon liquid, evaporated milk, corn and pepper to taste. Cook over low heat just until heated through. Just before serving, add parsley and enjoy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back