Who here likes Jazz music?

RedShambhala

Experienced
Let's Go in this direction

Being as you've mention Dolphy, consider the [Charles] Mingus Big Band version of "Good-Bye Pork Pie Hat"

But, if you came to a fork in the road, would you travel the path less traveled? As a suggestion, Brad Melhdau's version of "My Favorite Things"

You Mentioned Classical Music

How about Satie as performed by The Jacques Loussier Trio?

"Gnossiennes #3"

From the fare East, Anouar Brahem with a very recent release, "Blue Maqams." Brahem is playing with Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette and Django Bates

Last edited:
But, if you came to a fork in the road, would you travel the path less traveled? As a suggestion, Brad Melhdau's version of "My Favorite Things"

Thanks for the tip!

Sounds interesting; Chrome even says that I've visited Mehldau's Wikipedia page a few weeks ago, but I don't know how I ended up there anymore.

Reminds me, though, that I'm currently trying to get a somewhat "comprehensive" picture of Jazz and try not to focus exclusively on the 60s. My two contemporary favorites so far are Kamasi Washington's "The Epic" and this gem here, the "Omer Avital Quintett" live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAHxwmScc1w

Interesting

Thanks for the tip!

Sounds interesting; Chrome even says that I've visited Mehldau's Wikipedia page a few weeks ago, but I don't know how I ended up there anymore.

Reminds me, though, that I'm currently trying to get a somewhat "comprehensive" picture of Jazz and try not to focus exclusively on the 60s. My two contemporary favorites so far are Kamasi Washington's "The Epic" and this gem here, the "Omer Avital Quintett" live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAHxwmScc1w

I was listening to CoHen earlier today

the second of the two is very tasty

Some I've mentioned in other threads ...

Maynard Ferguson
Oscar Peterson
Stan Kenton
Dave Brubeck
Cedar Walton
Stan Getz
Oregon
Pat Metheny

What do you all think of Wynton Marsalis?

He doesn't seem to have the best reputation among Jazz fans, is accused of not being open enough for ... I guess the post-70s developments, but from what I've heard so far, I really love his style; "Live at the House of Tribes" and "Live at the Village Vanguard" I listen to all the time these days. And he's very charming and charismatic and likeable in interviews; he's fanboy-ish enthusiasm about the old masters is really infectious.

What do you all think of Wynton Marsalis?

He doesn't seem to have the best reputation among Jazz fans, is accused of not being open enough for ... I guess the post-70s developments, but from what I've heard so far, I really love his style; "Live at the House of Tribes" and "Live at the Village Vanguard" I listen to all the time these days. And he's very charming and charismatic and likeable in interviews; he's fanboy-ish enthusiasm about the old masters is really infectious.

his work with art blakey in the early 80's was a west coast jazz start. he then went classical, experimented with new orleans and seems to always be looking for something new. i don't think of him as having "a style". he is just a good all around student and practitioner of many styles of jazz.

The Woody Herman Herds from the 1960's
Duke Ellington
Count Basie
Harry James
Ella Fitzgerald
Frank Sinatra
Stan Getz
Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall Concert
Miles Davis
Maynard Ferguson
Chet Baker
Bix Beiderbecke
Sarah Vaughan
And on, and on, and on.

Sammy Miller and the Congregation - Millennium Stage (April 25, 2016)

http://www.sammymillercongregation.com/about/

header_sammy_0.jpg

I like the picture.
Looks like an ad for a modern sitcom, with the main protagonist being some geeky PhD student, living together with his buddies, who can be annoying but are still good friends and it's all in good humor and just banter etc.

I like the picture.
Looks like an ad for a modern sitcom, with the main protagonist being some geeky PhD student, living together with his buddies, who can be annoying but are still good friends and it's all in good humor and just banter etc.

It's jazz without the clouds of cigarette smoke and gin stained lapels.

I've never heard anything from her, but Esperanza Spalding looks cute; and could even look cuter if she were naked, collared, leashed, had her head shaved and were locked in a cage with a dildo as a water dispenser.
:heart:

Billie Holiday is also sexy. Not necessarily because of her looks but because her voice always sounded so vulnerable to me; not like a "shouter" with a big voice - more like a small voice with a relatively small range, but very intelligent, emotional, sensitive and vulnerable. Very ladylike, a very intelligent, sensitive and feminine kind of suffering.

The Jazz equivalent to Christine Schafer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4jKtzbc3G0

Nina Simone
Chet Baker
Thelonius Monk
John Coltrane
Art Blakey
Charlie Parker

Back