Who here likes Jazz music?

My favorite dreamy sax player is Joshua Redman:
Joshua-Redman.jpg
Have you ever listened to Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins or Lester Young?

I listened to a lot more jazz when I was younger. WBEZ in Chicago had this wonderful older gent who did nights and he'd play all eras of jazz, and always announce who the players were on each record. During the "Young Lions" period in the 90s he was giving equal time to cats like Joshua Redman, Christian McBride, and the like while playing Gene Ammons, Miles, Basie and other classic players and bands. I learned a ton just tuning in. This was while and shortly after music school, so I was hearing a lot of things there as well.

My favorite record of all time is "A Love Supreme" by John Coltrane.

I play a few jazz gigs a year, and sit in with some friends on occasion. I'd like a regular jazz gig.

I like the picture.
Looks like an ad for a modern sitcom, with the main protagonist being some geeky PhD student, living together with his buddies, who can be annoying but are still good friends and it's all in good humor and just banter etc.
That picture alone makes not want to hear what those guys think jazz is.
It's jazz without the clouds of cigarette smoke and gin stained lapels.
what's the point in that?
My favorite dreamy sax player is Joshua Redman:
Joshua-Redman.jpg
I saw him do a duo gig with Brad Mehldau that was fantastic.
I've never heard anything from her, but Esperanza Spalding looks cute; and could even look cuter if she were naked, collared, leashed, had her head shaved and were locked in a cage with a dildo as a water dispenser.
:heart:

Billie Holiday is also sexy. Not necessarily because of her looks but because her voice always sounded so vulnerable to me; not like a "shouter" with a big voice - more like a small voice with a relatively small range, but very intelligent, emotional, sensitive and vulnerable. Very ladylike, a very intelligent, sensitive and feminine kind of suffering.

The Jazz equivalent to Christine Schafer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4jKtzbc3G0
How about we talk about musicianship, not looks. Esparanza Spalding is a wonderful musician. Billie Holiday sang like no other.
Have you ever listened to Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins or Lester Young?
Joshua Redman has.

Wild as the Wind

I've never heard anything from her, but Esperanza Spalding looks cute; and could even look cuter if she were naked, collared, leashed, had her head shaved and were locked in a cage with a dildo as a water dispenser.
:heart:

Billie Holiday is also sexy. Not necessarily because of her looks but because her voice always sounded so vulnerable to me; not like a "shouter" with a big voice - more like a small voice with a relatively small range, but very intelligent, emotional, sensitive and vulnerable. Very ladylike, a very intelligent, sensitive and feminine kind of suffering.

The Jazz equivalent to Christine Schafer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4jKtzbc3G0

We were very lucky in that Spalding was in town for the last Detroit jazz festival. Played for nearly two hours with Wayne Shorter Sunday night

One of my favs--"Wild as The Wind"

charlie parker, especially his take on "laura"
billie holiday, especially the decca and verve years
chet baker, playing and singing, especially "my funny valentine"
lester "prez" young
nina simone because let's face it, she's god
jimmy scott
jeri southern, especially "something cool"
billy eckstine "a cottage for sale"
ella fitzgerald, especially the songbooks

A New Direction

I'm a big fan of Brad Mehldau. His direction is always changing. Forthcoming CD is due out shortly

After Bach comprises the pianist/composer’s recordings of four preludes and one fugue from J.S. Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier, each followed by an “After Bach” piece written by Mehldau. As a suggestion, give a listen to "Rondo."

More from Mehldau's website

I just love jazz.
From the classics to todays music.
Presently grooving on acid jazz...so funky.
Modeski Martin and Wood...
The Budos Band
Grey Boy Allstars
John Scofield...
One of my fav. Concerts.. Al DeMiola, Stanley Clark and Jean Luc Ponte..."Rite of Strings" album
Did catch MMW open for Morphine once...that was awesome!
I love all types of music but find jazz particularly exciting...it can be challenging, moving, melancholy and agressive...
Kinda like me.;)

Jazz is jiz. Jazz music is sex. Play, listen, dance, fuck. If it doesn't correlate with cumming, it's syrup or saurkraut or symphonic or something. Recall what Chuck Berry said about that.

Summertime in Metro Detroit

86 with a gentle breeze today

In other words, prefect "Summertime" brought to you by Ms. Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong

Back