Writing Exercise 2: Can we guess your identity from your writing style?

I think I'm going to have to sit this one out. I was driving myself crazy trying to get to a scenario that was a lifelong secret revealed in 500 words which didn't feel unnecessarily forces or wacky and was still consistent with my style. Inspiration may hit, but for the moment, I got nothing.

As of May 10 there are 11 anonymous entries.

Deadline, 7 AM GMT Monday May (Midnight PST)

Last edited:
I assume people don't base their submissions on dialogue. That would be cheating, as style is hard to distinguish from dialogue alone.
It depends on the dialogue, surely? And how much of the writer's normal stories is idiosyncratic and recognisable.

I think it's going to be a very difficult challenge either way.

I don't think I've submitted enough or read enough here to take part.

Though I would say that in my opinion, dialogue is as unique as any other part of an author's style. Especially over a larger sample, when you can see how they're using subtext, or how they interweave it with prose.

Of course someone has to read you, probably two or three titles, to get a feel for your style, otherwise there is no way for them to recognize your style.

And since nobody reads me ... : P

Of course someone has to read you, probably two or three titles, to get a feel for your style, otherwise there is no way for them to recognize your style.

And since nobody reads me ... : P
Ive read you. I even commented.

I was planning to link to people's stories when I post the (randomized) list of authors on Monday. PM me if for some weird reason that's a problem for you.

I was planning to link to people's stories when I post the (randomized) list of authors on Monday. PM me if for some weird reason that's a problem for you.

Yes, I know that three or four of you have indeed read me. One or two even enough to be familiar with my style. It was hyperbole, a comment on my invisible profile here. Nothing more.

Link to mine is in my sig for your convenience. Do you want me to send you the plain url?

You can't link to my story - actually a few select paragraphs of it - because that file only exists on my computer and thus there is no no URL. It's never been published here. You said we should just cut and paste the text (it's about 490 words) into a PM to you, which is what I did. Or did I miss something here?

You can't link to my story - actually a few select paragraphs of it - because that file only exists on my computer and thus there is no no URL. It's never been published here. You said we should just cut and paste the text (it's about 490 words) into a PM to you, which is what I did. Or did I miss something here?
I think he meant our published stories, so we can get a feel for each others' style if we haven't already.

Some people stuck to the initial 250 word limit, some entered when it was changed to 500. That might be a giveaway if anybody spelunks the thread for clues.

I haven't really read any of yalls stuff to know who would've written what. I'm sure nobody has really read any of my stuff to know if it were mine, so I don't know if I should do this or not.

I think he meant our published stories, so we can get a feel for each others' style if we haven't already.
Thanks, I need more coffee again. Sure, the link is in my signiture line. If anybody can make sense of that 126 item ah, mess (mishegoss in Yiddish), then good luck.

I haven't really read any of yalls stuff to know who would've written what. I'm sure nobody has really read any of my stuff to know if it were mine, so I don't know if I should do this or not.
Do it anyway. You don't want to make it too easy for them.

Somehow this reminds me of that old TV show What's My Line?

Not that I want to make it easy, but I kinda hope it is. It would be nice to know that I have a recognizable Author Voice. Well, recognizable and good...
I guess we're all going to find out soon enough. At least there are no trains in mine, which would be a giveaway. ;)

FWIW, it might be fun to have the entries up for a while without a list of names. Time to ponder, so to speak.

I hate the phrase ‘just saying’, but just saying.

Not that I want to make it easy, but I kinda hope it is. It would be nice to know that I have a recognizable Author Voice. Well, recognizable and good...

If everybody recognizes my style? That's great! I have a style. Hold my beer, Dashiell.

If nobody recognizes my style? That's great! I'm the chameleon master of style. U.P.: up! Mr. Joyce.

If everybody recognizes my style? Oh no! I'm in a rut and my style is too predictable. Let's go get drunk, Earnest.

If nobody recognizes my style? Oh no! Don't they read me? Herr Mann, what did we do wrong?

If some people get me and some don't? I'm great! I mean, oh no! Wait, what should I do? Vladimir, put down that butterfly. We need to talk.

FWIW, it might be fun to have the entries up for a while without a list of names. Time to ponder, so to speak.

I hate the phrase ‘just saying’, but just saying.
"Just saying" means, I think, that I'm going to say something that you don't like, but if you are really offended, then I can pretend that I really didn't mean it.

"Just saying" means, I think, that I'm going to say something that you don't like, but if you are really offended, then I can pretend that I really didn't mean it.
It's subtler than that. You meant it for sure, but if the listener takes offence, that's on them, because all you were doing was expressing a mild, personal opinion (which is in fact so blindingly obvious to anyone with an iota of common sense that it's one step down from "duh"); so if there's a reaction, it's "meh" from you, and the offendee is a marshmallow. It's another form of, "Really? Are you serious?"

Back