What's for dinner?

That meatloaf sounds amazing! It's going on next month's menu.

Tonight there's Rotini Veggie Pasta with pesto, chicken, roasted red peppers, parmigiano, and mozzarella along with a Ceasar salad.

Oh, I do love pesto!

If I do that onion soup reduction again I will halve the recipe. It was too much for a meatloaf.

Will be washing down a healthy of serve of broken dreams, abandoned adventures and deep regrets with a glass of humility.

Or making spag bol.

Family would probably prefer spag bol.

Southwestern style hash. O'Brien potatoes, ground beef and salsa but I always doctor it up. This time I add an onion, yellow pepper and chili beans. Cheese on top.

I must say, I'm finding the turn this thread has taken rather interesting. And, perhaps, inevitable on a writer's forum.
I was inspired. :)

Yesterday was weird. Got a last-minute call for a medical procedure that required fasting but turned out to be unnecessary. We still spent all day in transit and in hospital, an hour away. Return to our room for late lunch: crackers, cheese, white wine. Sleep. Arise for evening nutrition aka supper: meds, microwave meatloaf, packaged cole slaw, red wine. Our room for the week is in a vineyard so there you have it.

Cooking ain't easy in a room equipped with microwave, coffeepot, small fridge with tiny freezer, toaster, and no sharp knives. At least there's no cockroach sushi.

Hmmmm

8 cheese lasagna, endive side salad, and a bottle of cabernet.

For dessert, hopefully the gf... ^^v

Did a coule pizzas tonight - one pepperoni and one white pizza. The white pizza was a recipe from Rachel Ray that used parsley instead of the thyme I've had before. I did not care for it at all.

Wolfgang Puck's pizza dough has become my go to recipe - it rises in just half an hour. You can use the whole batch for a deep dish pizza or cut it in half to make two thin crust pizzas. I bake the deep dish at 400 for 25 minutes or the thin crust at 425 for 15 to 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Free-range chicken, stuffed with half a lemon, half an onion, and a handful of fresh herbs (thyme, sage, rosemary) and cooked in the pressure cooker. Soft, succulent, and surprisingly flavoursome. :)

Oh, yeah. And finished in a hot oven with baste of butter and honey.

Last edited:
Barbecued Chicken with Nando's peri-peri sauce.

I was thinking about the most interesting coffee shops and restaurants I've been to and a couple of them were in Pretoria in South Africa when I went there on holiday with my Mom and Dad back a few years ago and we went to a barbecue that some South African's my Dad knew invited us over for - and they did a "Flattie" which was a chicken kind of stamped flat and barbecued in one place.

So we're going to do that tonight. I just defrosted a chicken from the freezer and it's on the counter between two chopping boards with a concrete block on top getting flattened. Coz that was the only way I could thing of to do it. Open to any better ideas but I'm not driving the car over it although yes, I'm sure that would work just fine.:D

So barbecued flattened chicken, Nando's peri-peri sauce, bread rolls and jasmine rice with Mealie Bread (cornbread from a south african recipe) and some South African wine we have (Thelema Cabernet Sauvignon). And salad, but that's out of a package coz that's more than enough work for moi. Got a couple of friends coming over so we'll see how that goes.... And some south african style sausage

nando-s-pretoria-sunnyside.jpg

Boerewors.jpg

111656011_0_640x640.jpg

34a973f57ed54f40a6f53cd5989bca33.jpg

Tossed salad with iceburg lettuce, celery, grated carrot, green onions, red bell pepper, shredded parmesan, roasted unsalted sunflower seeds, and Italian dressing.

Shrimp baked with unsalted butter. (Defrost and drain a bag of deveined shrimp, place in a pie plate and dot with butter then cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.)

Vanilla ice cream with chocolate ganache and toasted pecans.

Crackers, cheese, wine, all good stuff. Better than chili dogs from the lodge kitchen.

Everyone is eating such yummy sounding stuff!

Tonight I made collard greens cooked with some leftover ham from a few days ago.

Lunch was some steamed and roughly mashed cauliflower. Some bacon bits added in, then added a quart of heavy whipping cream and some shredded white cheddar, oh and lots of black pepper.

I'm low carbing. Down 6 lbs last month.

Everyone is eating such yummy sounding stuff!

Tonight I made collard greens cooked with some leftover ham from a few days ago.

Lunch was some steamed and roughly mashed cauliflower. Some bacon bits added in, then added a quart of heavy whipping cream and some shredded white cheddar, oh and lots of black pepper.

I'm low carbing. Down 6 lbs last month.

That's great! Keep up the good work.
I used cauliflower in place of rice in "fried rice" - and my picky eaters didn't know the difference. I loved it.
:)

Haven't had breakfast yet... haven't thought much about dinner tonight.

Slow cooker butter chicken, green beans with almonds, and sweet potato with butter and cinnamon. Apple crisp for dessert.

Burmese Fish Curry, boiled, sticky Jasmine Rice, Dhal soup seasoned with cracked and fried Szechuan peppercorns, fried chillies, garlic, and cardamoms, with a tomato, onion, chopped scallion, beansprout, shredded green papaya and green chilli salad with a lime, palm sugar and Thai fish sauce dressing, and coconut ice cream for dessert. No extended cooking, an hour to do the lot; my kind of cooking...

Turkey meatloaf made with barbecue sauce and topped with cheddar cheese, handful of sweet potato fries, and tossed salads.

Still low carbing
Tonight is cream of broccoli and cauliflower soup with bacon and cheddar.

I am going to try monkfish fillets, baked on a bed of chopped Italian tomatoes, probably with some dried oregano, and topped with breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese. And I'll finish it with a chiffonade of fresh basil. Will it work? It should. I'll let you know. :)

I abdicated tonight, exhausted. Sent the husband unit a text saying I was headed home and to please decide dinner. He came through without complaint, I was surprised and grateful. Salad and pizza from the local Italian market.

Mexican lasagna, to speak. Stack of fresh tortillas with layers of chicken, bell peppers, onions, cheese, etc. Green salad. Waiting for my Love to get home...

Back