What's for dinner?

Oriental fried rice , steamed green bean with garlic and mushroom, stir fried Asian cabbage with sesame ginger glaze salmon with Asian bbq glaze, butterfly shrimp with cherry red pepper sauce and spring rolls. The old man can cook.

Bit of a celebration dinner tonight, so we're having Mee Goreng, with squid, prawns, shredded chicken, and sliced Char Sui roast pork, steamed Sio-pao rice buns stuffed with pork, Penang Chilli-crab, Singapore-style squid stuffed with ground pork, scallions, ginger and garlic, then deep-fried and sliced, and steamed pork and egg rolls.

Another pack of Picolax, I think.
PS. Confirmed.

Last time I went through this I was feeling quite up-beat, confident and keen.
This time I feel bloody hungry.

Last edited:
Bit of a celebration dinner tonight, so we're having Mee Goreng, with squid, prawns, shredded chicken, and sliced Char Sui roast pork, steamed Sio-pao rice buns stuffed with pork, Penang Chilli-crab, Singapore-style squid stuffed with ground pork, scallions, ginger and garlic, then deep-fried and sliced, and steamed pork and egg rolls.

Nice!

What makes the meatballs Swedish? Serious question.

It's basically meatballs in a beef and cream based sauce, seasoned with oregano and garlic.

Tonight was baked chicken leg quarters, microwave baked potato, and green salad. Strawberries and vanilla ricotta cream for dessert.

Hamburger patties just by themselves, no buns?

Yeah just the patties, no buns or anything. I don't eat bread, or buns, or anything white pretty much. No bread, potatoes, rice, pasta.
Sometimes I'll put mustard on them, but I was feeling lazy.

Last night I made stuffed peppers. They were pretty good but slightly plain. My daughter went to the store for me and I asked her to pick up Spanish rice and she got plain white rice. I don't have many spices but made do with cumin and salt and pepper.
And no I did not eat the stuffed peppers since they had rice in them, but I did make myself one stuffed with just ground beef and some crushed tomatoes. It was pretty good.

This is one of those days. The cardiologist visit will take six hours (two hours drive time each way) so lunch will likely be CostCo hot dogs. We'll probably be too beat to cook when we return so we may stop at a taco wagon for take-home burritos, washed down with Mississippi Mud black-and-tan ale. It gets pretty basic.

I'm making chili tonight. Not sure if I'll eat a little or make myself eggs or something.

Eat the rich.

Fewer preservatives.

EDIT: Turns out, it's mutant pizza.

Last edited:
Cold roast chicken, chips (fries) and peas for me.
Bog-standard mac'n'cheese for my lovely wife when she finishes work at 10pm. She'll be ready for it.

Planning leftover sage and apple chops for me and husband-unit, cottage cheese for munchkin, roasted potatoes, and lemon butter broccoli. Got a piece of cheesecake from the diner to split for dessert. One piece easily serves three.

Lori - how good to see you on the board. :rose:
Regards to 'imself.

Stone soup.

If you're too young: We start stone soup by dropping a stone into a potta wotta. The stone doesn't have much flavor, so add salt. Now it needs texture, so chop up a potato and some carrots. Celery and onion, too Hmmm, color isn't right; find any remaining flesh fragments. I think I saw mushrooms in the fridge as well as remnants of sauces -- add them too. Hmm, the pot is filling up. Remove the stone. Heat. Eat. Urp.

Lori - how good to see you on the board. :rose:
Regards to 'imself.

Hi HP, thank you, and a big Hi! from Hizzoner, who's currently working his way through a platter of Charcuterie large enough to sink the Isle of Wight, therefore too greasy to come anywhere near my keyboard anytime soon; I try to remind him of the lingering death he's inflicting on his colon, but he lives by the 'one life, long time dead' principle, and believes that if the Taliban, Al-Qaeda, Boko Haram, Hutu Militia, and the Tamil Tigers couldn't kill him, then the occasional pork chop isn't going to either. :rose::kiss:

Last edited:
What seasoning do you use on the ribs?

This one is soy sauce, lea perrins sauce, hoisin sauce, maple syrup and tomatoes basil sauce with most of a bottle of Chardonnay slow cooked overnight and all day today

I'm doing venison and beef meatloaf using gluten free oats and a french onion soup reduction to go on it. Made baked coconut milk custard with blueberries and chopped toasted pecans. Smells heavenly. Makes a good breakfast too. Recipes later.

French Onion Reduction over Meatloaf with Gruyere Cheese

2 pounds cooking onions
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups unsalted beef broth
1 teaspoon of thyme leaves
3 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons of tapioca flour
4 ounces shredded gruyere cheese

2 pounds onion sliced and cooked in a tablespoon olive oil in a pan over medium low heat for 45 minutes. Add beef broth as needed to keep them from sticking. Add 1 teaspoon thyme and 3 cloves of minced or crushed garlic and stir thoroughly, cook for a minute. Add 2 cups of beef broth, 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard and 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper as desired. (I used unsalted broth and a quarter teaspoon of sea salt.) Bring to a boil and mix 1 1/2 tablespoons of tapioca flour or cornstarch with a couple tablespoons of cold water then mix into the onion and broth mix. Cook until thickened, a minute or two. (Place whatever meat you like in the sauce, I used sliced meatloaf.) Cover in 4 ounces of grated gruyere or gouda cheese and broil for a few minutes.

Blueberry Coconut Custard with Toasted Pecans

4 eggs
1 - 15 ounce can coconut milk
¼ cup maple syrup
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup coconut flour
½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
Frozen blueberries
4 ounces toasted chopped pecans

Preheat an oven to 375 degrees. Toast the pecans in the oven for 2 minutes. Chop and set aside. Set up 8 ramekins on a cookie tin or one deep dish pie plate. Place a single layer of frozen blueberries in either the ramekins or pie plate. Whisk the eggs then whisk in the rest of the ingredients, except for the blueberries and pecans. Pour the custard over the blueberries. Sprinkle with the chopped pecans. Bake for 45 minutes and then chill thoroughly.

Last edited:
Back