What are you fuckers reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am trying to get through the remaining 266 pages of Holger Hoock's 2017 Scars of Independence: America's Violent Birth in the next 30 hours.

Some son of a bitch put a hold on this public library book and that prohibits me from extending my borrowing period. I'm going to have to turn the book in and, then, do the same thing that son of a bitch did to me by placing a hold on the book so I'll get it back in three weeks.

The book is a fascinating perspective from a German who was educated at Freiburg, Cambridge and Oxford and is currently a professor at the University of Pittsburgh. Hoock frames what most Americans call "The Revolutionary War" as America's first civil war (and he's probably correct in doing so) and goes on to all but label what Americans call "Patriots" as "terrorists." Hoock provides lots of evidence for that point of view and is probably justified in his effort.

In case you don't know it, as pacifist or neutral as you might like to be, it is probably impossible to remain uninvolved in a civil war. The protagonists will simply not allow it. You will be forced to choose a side.

Very few people have a thorough grasp on just how divided the colonial population was and the polarizing effect America's first civil war had. Change the names, and it could easily be 2007 Iraq or 1642-48 England or 1789 France.

Just finished The Late Show by Michael Connelly.

51b6oflEgHL._SY346_.jpg

Currently reading Mr. Paradise by Elmore Leonard.

415ufaDXHxL._SY346_.jpg

Falling Out Of Heaven by John Lynch (the Irish actor from In The Name of the Father and The Fall). Fuck, this is bleak stuff.

Gabriel O'Rourke seemingly has everything: a loving wife, an adoring young son, a worthwhile job. He is rooted in a community, is part of a family, has a home. Yet, gradually, his world slowly pulls apart, until Gabriel finds himself homeless and destitute, living out of rubbish skips on the street. In a psychotic haze he is admitted into a secure unit, his body addled by alcohol, his mind broken. Here, by confronting the blighting reality of his own alcoholism, Gabriel is forced finally to unearth the muddled spectre of the past: the black betrayals by those around him, his traumatic relationship with his father, and the true darkness of some obsessions.

I read the first two when they came out. I was so disappointed in the second one that I kind of gave up. Perhaps you'll tell me it is worth picking back up.
i was disappointed. come to think of it, once i'd begun reading this one i remembered the others didn't really cut it for me so much. this was written in the same palette - read more like a ... hmmn, was going to say karen slaughter but that's not even right. Sue Grafton! A is for Alibi and suchlike. it didn't feel like king, as if he was as bored writing it as i was reading it and he just wanted to wrap it up and be done with it.

I haven't read any King in a long time. I used to get his books the moment they came out. Maybe a reread is in order or a pick up where I left off. I just started GoT again.

the darktower series is his best, imo, with several others i've enjoyed reading more than once.

a man called ove by Backman, same author of 'my grandma wants me to tell you she's sorry' or whatever the title was. written in the exact same vein, i was laughing by page 2 and immersed in sympathy just a few pages along.

In a few minutes, this fucker will be finishing ......

"A River Out of Eden" by John Hockenberry

finished a man called ove - totally brilliant, warm, tender, brutal, wonderful - and very very funny!

about to start the 4th assassin book, not the 3rd - Fool's Assassin

41D48Y0FDBL._SX312_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I re-read all the Wodehouse stuff on a regular basis. I know them by heart and they still make me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back