The Official Author's Hangout Valentine's Day 2013 Contest Support Thread

I would think Beltane, a pagan holiday based on fertility would be an interesting contest subject...

ETA: Welcome to The Official Author's Hangout Valentine's Day 2013 Contest Support Thread.

Beware of fake contests.

St. Patrick's Day would be a great idea. Probably too close on it to make the change now (if anyone is listening), but it might be a switch-out for another year.

Can you ever really have *too* much leprechaun sex?

"Why Seamus! You didn't realize that "pot o gold" was the nickname for the only female leprechaun? You found me. Now let me stand on a chair so I can reach your belt and give you your reward."

Is the QUEEN planning another surprise?

Romance? Sci Fi? Non Erotic? Lesbo? We'll know tomorrow ... or will we?
UPDATED SCORES: LITEROTICA part of the contest

Words with Friends with Benefits Ironiclaconic R 4.87 745
Stupid Cupid stubborn_dreamer SF 4.84 191
Don't Wait for Me BenLong R 4.82 451
The Senior Center DG Hear NE 4.78 249
A Friend For Life luvthedesserts FT 4.75 880
Late Valentine Alex the Cat L 4.71 194

I would think Beltane, a pagan holiday based on fertility would be an interesting contest subject...

ETA: Welcome to The Official Author's Hangout Valentine's Day 2013 Contest Support Thread.

Beware of fake contests.

Watch Mists of Avalon. YOu already have a plot bunny. Arthur is set up to sleep with his sister (half sister) for the feast of Beltane and gets her pregnant.

There is also a weird threesome scene in it. Interesting movie and actually pretty depressing but the incest crowd would be down with it.

Romance? Sci Fi? Non Erotic? Lesbo? We'll know tomorrow ... or will we?
UPDATED SCORES: LITEROTICA part of the contest

Words with Friends with Benefits Ironiclaconic R 4.87 745
Stupid Cupid stubborn_dreamer SF 4.84 191
Don't Wait for Me BenLong R 4.82 451
The Senior Center DG Hear NE 4.78 249
A Friend For Life luvthedesserts FT 4.75 880
Late Valentine Alex the Cat L 4.71 194

Benlong can't win because he placed in the Winter contest, so shuffle your numbers with that one in mind.

Watch Mists of Avalon. YOu already have a plot bunny. Arthur is set up to sleep with his sister (half sister) for the feast of Beltane and gets her pregnant.

There is also a weird threesome scene in it. Interesting movie and actually pretty depressing but the incest crowd would be down with it.

I watched that when TNT came out with it, interesting take on the myth of Arthur.

I cannot confirm or deny anything Scouries posted because I have him/her on ignore.

Suffice to say, while s/he uses extra large fonts s/he will stay on ignore.

What is the point of posting alleged toplists? Surely he/she/it knows that you don't report the news any more. You try to influence it.

I cannot confirm or deny anything Scouries posted because I have him/her on ignore.

Suffice to say, while s/he uses extra large fonts s/he will stay on ignore.

What is the point of posting alleged toplists? Surely he/she/it knows that you don't report the news any more. You try to influence it.

That's what he is trying to do. He posts the lists so the other trolls have a set of targets that he wants bombed.

Thank Scouries.

Not really familiar with his MO. Is that what he does, goose up the scores of some other stories so when one submitted by an alt drops as well it isn't as obvious?

I have participated in two other contests and saw my scores go up about .07 in each, so this was a surprise.

image.php

thank scouries

What a silly old, irrelevant man you’ve become. You’re actually trying to blame the boss for the sweeps? Somehow he’s responsible for some AHland ALT who cheated losing 250 votes?

Are you trying to prove you’re dumber than darkboy?

Nah, all the AH hands know about the sweeps and wouldn't bother cheating. The only motive would be someone who didn't know about sweeps or someone who ran their own contest with their own rules structured in a way that allows them to count or ignore sweeps depending in whether it helps them get the results they want.

Since scouresworld and scouries are the same person, I love the way he talks about himself as if he really matters.

And yes, he has been known to bump up scores by large numbers knowing that they will be swept. When he actually entered contests he did it all the time. Otherwise his cheating stuck out like a sore thumb.

Since scouresworld and scouries are the same person, I love the way he talks about himself as if he really matters.

And yes, he has been known to bump up scores by large numbers knowing that they will be swept. When he actually entered contests he did it all the time. Otherwise his cheating stuck out like a sore thumb.

OK that makes a solipsistic kind of sense. I do remember him accusing Lovecraft of cheating last year when his score dropped like this so there does seem to be a pattern. Thanks.

It would also explain some odd vote patterns I noticed where I would get 2 votes in a 12 hour period and then have a dozen more when I checked a half hour later. Might be something to look out for in future contests, if anyone is wondering whether it is happening to them.

Might be something to look out for in future contests, if anyone is wondering whether it is happening to them.

Since I have a story entered, I have left myself logged in and check periodically, mostly for comments, but I note how it appears that I get a "favorite" or positive comment, the score goes up (assuming a good vote) and then a few hours later the vote goes up and the score goes down.

Sadly, I never entered a contest because I assumed such immature and petty behavior may surround such things. I no longer care. If someone believes I need held back or humbled, great, I can see the compliment. Frankly, I have enjoyed all the positive feedback I have gotten in the few days the contest has run, more than I have received in the several years I have dabbled here. As an amateur author I am here for the fun, not the money.

But it is disappointing that any such games call into question the validity of the contest results. I would think making voting open to registered users might help, if I understand it the sweeping does, but no matter, I will applaud the winners and respect all who entered.

I've be entering stories in the contest since 2005. I've lost hundreds upon hundreds of votes throughout the years. Sometimes my score goes up, others times it goes down. I believe the site operators do their best to control the Troll votes.

I'm not a computer wiz but I do believe some people know their way around a computer and find ways to mulitple vote (both high and low). I enter the contest and like to win as much as the next guy (person, sorry) but I just like being part of it. It gives me a reason to come to the site and I have to admit I love receiving comments.

I wish the best to the winners.
With Respect
DG Hear

Since I have a story entered, I have left myself logged in and check periodically, mostly for comments, but I note how it appears that I get a "favorite" or positive comment, the score goes up (assuming a good vote) and then a few hours later the vote goes up and the score goes down.

Sadly, I never entered a contest because I assumed such immature and petty behavior may surround such things. I no longer care. If someone believes I need held back or humbled, great, I can see the compliment. Frankly, I have enjoyed all the positive feedback I have gotten in the few days the contest has run, more than I have received in the several years I have dabbled here. As an amateur author I am here for the fun, not the money.

But it is disappointing that any such games call into question the validity of the contest results. I would think making voting open to registered users might help, if I understand it the sweeping does, but no matter, I will applaud the winners and respect all who entered.

I should be clear that I am not questioning the validity of the results. The sweeping process is mysterious and obviously has to be in order to avoid end runs, but I have no doubt that it is aimed at eliminating dubious voting behavior. I am merely a little disappointed that a story which I thought people had voted up to a 4.87 rating was really only getting a (as of now) 4.80.

Dems da breaks.

I should be clear that I am not questioning the validity of the results. The sweeping process is mysterious and obviously has to be in order to avoid end runs, but I have no doubt that it is aimed at eliminating dubious voting behavior. I am merely a little disappointed that a story which I thought people had voted up to a 4.87 rating was really only getting a (as of now) 4.80.

Dems da breaks.

Scouries posting that vote list put a target on you. That's what he's good at.

He hates any category that's not incest and he hates anyone who posts in the AH. According to him, we are the reason he has never won any of the real contest on Lit. It's bullshit but that's him in a nutshell.

Envious

Ironiclaconic: But 4.80 is still one hell of a score!

Last edited:
Ironiclaconic: But 4.80 is still one hell of a score!

Yes, thanks. It's the highest score I have had since I pulled down Might Have Been to publish it as an eBook and the feedback on the story has been wonderful regardless of contest outcome. Winning would certainly have been nice, but it isn't why I write.

Hmmm

I don't hang around here so much these days, so I've missed your stories altogether. Just followed your link to Might Have Been and was intrigued. One more sale made. That's the way it goes, one at a time, one after another... Looking forward to the read.

Back