The Official Author's Hangout Earth Day 2013 Contest Support Thread

Welcome to the one and only real contest around. The Earth Day 2013 Contest.

Don't mess about with a fake contest. Go with the real thing.

ay yes the real contest... the one with a little class...

[size=+2]ASSOCIATION of INDEPENDENT READERS (A.I.R.)[/size]

the Authors’ Hangout LITEROTICA/A.I.R. 2012-2015 Themed Contests Support Thread…

2013 Sexy April Contest

tumblr_mhvdf5lA151qk2vvro1_500.jpg

A.I.R. wants QUALITY not QUANTITY!

Last edited:
Contest analysis - Earth Day Contest 2013

Good evening. The pyramids tell me that there are 25 stories in the competition to date, with an average score of 4.21 from an average of 289 votes. Stories had an average of 20,398 views, an average of 7 favorites, and an average of 6 comments. The average ratio of votes to views is 1.46%. The average number of pages is 2.6, with the longest story being 7 pages.

So far there have been a total of 6,651 votes, 509,960 views, 183 favorites and 174 comments.

The standard deviation of scores (from the average of 4.21) is 0.49 and the standard deviation of votes (from the average of 289) is 342. The median score is 4.39, the median number of votes is 139 and the median number of pages is 2. The top 25% of scores are 4.61 or above and the bottom 25% of scores are 4.00 or below.

Categories entered (alphabetic order)

• BDSM (1 story)
  • Erotic Couplings (2 stories)
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur (3 stories)
  • Gay Male (1 story)
  • Group Sex (1 story)
  • Incest/Taboo (5 stories)
  • Mature (1 story)
  • NonConsent/Reluctance (1 story)
  • NonHuman (1 story)
  • Reviews & Essays (1 story)
  • Romance (4 stories)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy (3 stories)
  • Text With Audio (1 story)

New stories today

Authors entered so far are:

Ashson, Beelzebub72, CavyConsultant, Cndrlla69, curlyspurs, eclare, HeyAll, JagFarlane (2), litfan10, MSTarot, RedHairedandFriendly (2), Rutabaga72, silkstockingslover, slyc_willie (2), sr71plt, StaciRay79, Stacy469, SusanJillParker, theravenfox, tk5555, TxRad, xelliebabex

Disclaimer

Because of the way this site works these figures will not be totally up-to-date. For a given story the score shown on the category page, the author's page, and the toplists page, can all be different. Also it appears that various pages update at different times of the day, sometimes quite infrequently.

Please do not PM me asking for more detailed information. I do not wish to skew contest results by giving a target for voting manipulation.

Contest page: Earth Day Contest 2013

Good evening. The cards tell me that there are 28 stories in the competition to date, with an average score of 4.18 from an average of 288 votes. Stories had an average of 20,718 views, an average of 7 favorites, and an average of 6 comments. The average ratio of votes to views is 1.43%. The average number of pages is 2.5, with the longest story being 7 pages.

So far there have been a total of 7,501 votes, 580,124 views, 198 favorites and 184 comments.

The standard deviation of scores (from the average of 4.18) is 0.51 and the standard deviation of votes (from the average of 288) is 378. The median score is 4.32, the median number of votes is 147 and the median number of pages is 2. The top 25% of scores are 4.51 or above and the bottom 25% of scores are 3.89 or below.

Sweeps

Some votes have been reduced (swept) since the start of the competition. A total of 1 story has had its votes adjusted, with 1 sweep resulting in a new score that day which is higher than before and 0 sweeps resulting in a new score that day which is lower. There were a total of 1 votes swept, being an average of 1 per swept story. The maximum number of votes swept for a single story was 1. (Figures based on toplists, and may not be totally accurate).

• BDSM (1 story)
  • Erotic Couplings (3 stories)
  • Gay Male (1 story)
  • Group Sex (1 story)
  • Illustrated (1 story)
  • Incest/Taboo (5 stories)
  • Loving Wives (1 story)
  • Mature (1 story)
  • NonHuman (1 story)
  • Romance (4 stories)

New stories today

Ashson, Aunay, Beelzebub72, CavyConsultant, Cndrlla69, curlyspurs, eclare, HeyAll, HottieKatie, JagFarlane (2), Jasmynn_Brown, litfan10, MSTarot, RedHairedandFriendly (2), Rutabaga72, silkstockingslover, slyc_willie (2), sr71plt, StaciRay79, Stacy469, SusanJillParker, theravenfox, tk5555, TxRad, xelliebabex

Disclaimer

Because of the way this site works these figures will not be totally up-to-date. For a given story the score shown on the category page, the author's page, and the toplists page, can all be different. Also it appears that various pages update at different times of the day, sometimes quite infrequently.

Please do not PM me asking for more detailed information. I do not wish to skew contest results by giving a target for voting manipulation.

I'm trying to finish one in time! I guess I shouldn't be surprised how many are hiking themed, but mine will be too. There are some good ones up so far!

Here's a new computer *bump*, but from a distance as I'm still sick. And that is getting annoying, let me tell you.

Anyone remember in Calvin & Hobbes, there's a strip where Calvin tells his parents he's been saving up his snot to donate for mucus transplants? After being grossed out, his parents tell him there's no such things. Calvin says Oh. I have a jar for you to wash.

I feel like I could fill up about ten of those jars.

Last edited:
According to SSS' latest analysis, the average score is dropping. Interesting. I have a feeling contests aren't always won by the stories that score above 4.90 anymore.

Here's a new computer *bump*, but from a distance as I'm still sick. And that is getting annoying, let me tell you.

Anyone remember in Calvin & Hobbes, there's a strip where Calvin tells his parents he's been saving up his snot to donate for mucus transactions? After being grossed out, his parents tell him there's no such things. Calvin says Oh. I have a jar for you to wash.

Um . . . I, uh . . . um . . . .

Gonna go retch now.

:p

tumblr_m4p31vlxAa1rx2xfbo1_500.jpg

[size=+3]I love james r scouries esq. and I wish I had won an A.I.R. Award. Thank you sir jim. And please feel free to quote this post as often as desired. ;)[/size]

mybanner498e247d5c7caxu4.png

Well I see oily is being a bad boy and posting on LITEROTICA'S #1 Contest Support thread again. What a bad little boy! I'd hoped that he might have learned something after the hurt and damage he caused to that poor innocent librarian ...

It seems like participation is lower than usual.

Sun_sea_sky, do you know how many stories have been entered in the most recent previous contests?

Sun_sea_sky, do you know how many stories have been entered in the most recent previous contests?

It does seem that there are fewer contest entries than I remember seeing in past contests. Maybe writers are finding less inspiration for Earth Day? Or has contest participation been dropping off over the last few years?

It does seem that there are fewer contest entries than I remember seeing in past contests. Maybe writers are finding less inspiration for Earth Day? Or has contest participation been dropping off over the last few years?

It does seem like the last few contests have seen fewer entries, although that impression may not be the truth. Although I would agree that Earth Day doesn't seem to get the most entries anyway.

I've wondered if people have just been too sick to write. Lots of stuff going around. Mr Penn's doctor says it's the worst winter/spring for allergies and colds that's he's seen.

According to SSS' latest analysis, the average score is dropping. Interesting. I have a feeling contests aren't always won by the stories that score above 4.90 anymore.

Um . . . I, uh . . . um . . . .

Gonna go retch now.

:p

Haha. Sorry. Guess you had to be there. ;)

It does seem like the last few contests have seen fewer entries, although that impression may not be the truth. Although I would agree that Earth Day doesn't seem to get the most entries anyway.

I've wondered if people have just been too sick to write. Lots of stuff going around. Mr Penn's doctor says it's the worst winter/spring for allergies and colds that's he's seen.

Could be. Texas was hit very hard this year, both by high allergens and some new flu strain.

Maybe it's a plot to stop all us dirty writers from posting more stories. :p

Anyone remember in Calvin & Hobbes, there's a strip where Calvin tells his parents he's been saving up his snot to donate for mucus transactions? After being grossed out, his parents tell him there's no such things. Calvin says Oh. I have a jar for you to wash.

Save it I hear they may make a new ghost busters movie. It might be needed.

You know that whole earth day spirit thing.. reuse recycle...reuse recycle.

Good evening. The dice tell me that there are 30 stories in the competition to date, with an average score of 4.20 from an average of 290 votes. Stories had an average of 22,347 views, an average of 7 favorites, and an average of 6 comments. The average ratio of votes to views is 1.32%. The average number of pages is 2.5, with the longest story being 7 pages.

So far there have been a total of 8,139 votes, 670,435 views, 215 favorites and 201 comments.

The standard deviation of scores (from the average of 4.20) is 0.44 and the standard deviation of votes (from the average of 290) is 395. The median score is 4.32, the median number of votes is 118 and the median number of pages is 2. The top 25% of scores are 4.49 or above and the bottom 25% of scores are 3.98 or below.

Sweeps

Some votes have been reduced (swept) since the start of the competition. A total of 1 story has had its votes adjusted, with 1 sweep resulting in a new score that day which is higher than before and 0 sweeps resulting in a new score that day which is lower. There were a total of 1 votes swept, being an average of 1 per swept story. The maximum number of votes swept for a single story was 1. (Figures based on toplists, and may not be totally accurate).

• BDSM (1 story)
  • Erotic Couplings (3 stories)
  • Gay Male (1 story)
  • Group Sex (1 story)
  • Illustrated (1 story)
  • Incest/Taboo (6 stories)
  • Loving Wives (1 story)
  • Mature (1 story)
  • NonHuman (2 stories)
  • Romance (4 stories)

Views by category

• Incest/Taboo: 403,459 (60.2%)
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur: 56,255 (8.4%)
  • Romance: 48,193 (7.2%)
  • Erotic Couplings: 31,418 (4.7%)
  • Illustrated: 28,135 (4.2%)
  • Group Sex: 20,233 (3.0%)
  • BDSM: 14,993 (2.2%)
  • Mature: 12,908 (1.9%)
  • Loving Wives: 12,236 (1.8%)
  • NonConsent/Reluctance: 10,890 (1.6%)
  • NonHuman: 8,684 (1.3%)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy: 8,624 (1.3%)
  • Text With Audio: 7,346 (1.1%)
  • Gay Male: 4,611 (0.7%)
  • Reviews & Essays: 2,450 (0.4%)

Comments by category

• Incest/Taboo: 88 (43.8%)
  • Romance: 31 (15.4%)
  • Reviews & Essays: 16 (8.0%)
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur: 12 (6.0%)
  • Text With Audio: 9 (4.5%)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy: 9 (4.5%)
  • NonConsent/Reluctance: 7 (3.5%)
  • NonHuman: 6 (3.0%)
  • Erotic Couplings: 6 (3.0%)
  • Mature: 5 (2.5%)
  • BDSM: 3 (1.5%)
  • Illustrated: 3 (1.5%)
  • Loving Wives: 3 (1.5%)
  • Gay Male: 2 (1.0%)
  • Group Sex: 1 (0.5%)

Favorites by category

• Incest/Taboo: 139 (64.7%)
  • Romance: 22 (10.2%)
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur: 13 (6.0%)
  • Mature: 8 (3.7%)
  • NonHuman: 8 (3.7%)
  • Erotic Couplings: 7 (3.3%)
  • NonConsent/Reluctance: 4 (1.9%)
  • Text With Audio: 4 (1.9%)
  • Gay Male: 3 (1.4%)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy: 2 (0.9%)
  • Illustrated: 2 (0.9%)
  • Loving Wives: 1 (0.5%)
  • Group Sex: 1 (0.5%)
  • BDSM: 1 (0.5%)
  • Reviews & Essays: 0 (0.0%)

Votes by category

• Incest/Taboo: 4,858 (59.7%)
  • Romance: 1,418 (17.4%)
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur: 521 (6.4%)
  • Erotic Couplings: 305 (3.7%)
  • NonHuman: 213 (2.6%)
  • Mature: 152 (1.9%)
  • Loving Wives: 118 (1.4%)
  • Group Sex: 106 (1.3%)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy: 80 (1.0%)
  • Reviews & Essays: 72 (0.9%)
  • NonConsent/Reluctance: 70 (0.9%)
  • Illustrated: 66 (0.8%)
  • Text With Audio: 61 (0.7%)
  • BDSM: 60 (0.7%)
  • Gay Male: 39 (0.5%)

Average scores by category

• Romance: 4.58
  • Text With Audio: 4.44
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur: 4.38
  • Illustrated: 4.34
  • Mature: 4.31
  • Group Sex: 4.29
  • Reviews & Essays: 4.19
  • Gay Male: 4.13
  • BDSM: 4.08
  • Erotic Couplings: 4.04
  • Incest/Taboo: 3.74
  • Loving Wives: 3.53
  • NonConsent/Reluctance: 3.53
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy: 3.40
  • NonHuman: 2.32

Hotness by category

• Romance: 75%
  • NonHuman: 50%
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur: 33%
  • Incest/Taboo: 33%

Swept votes by category

• Sci-Fi & Fantasy: 1

Number of views, votes, comments per day

• 31 Mar (Sunday) : 343,113 views, 4,141 votes, 114 comments
  • 1 Apr (Monday) : 33,921 views, 629 votes, 32 comments
  • 2 Apr (Tuesday) : 132,926 views, 1,881 votes, 28 comments
  • 3 Apr (Wednesday) : 70,164 views, 850 votes, 10 comments
  • 4 Apr (Thursday) : 90,311 views, 638 votes, 17 comments

New stories today

AffectionateFather, Ashson, Aunay, Beelzebub72, CavyConsultant, Cndrlla69, curlyspurs, eclare, HeyAll, HottieKatie, JagFarlane (2), Jasmynn_Brown, litfan10, MSTarot, RedHairedandFriendly (2), Rutabaga72, silkstockingslover, slyc_willie (2), sr71plt, StaciRay79, Stacy469, subwryter, SusanJillParker, theravenfox, tk5555, TxRad, xelliebabex

Disclaimer

Valentine's Day Contest 2013: 79
Winter Holidays Contest 2012: 125
Halloween Contest 2012: 152
Summer Lovin 2012: 108

Thanks again for the latest rounds of stats sunsea. It's especially interesting to see the number of postings in each contest.

I found Earth Day a challenge to write about as it really never rates a mention here in Australia, possibly because we have Earth Hour and Clean Up Australia Day in the preceding month which are heavily highlighted by the media.

Perhaps other non-american writers found the same issues I did when trying to research what it was really about, lots of generalised airy fairy stuff about environmental awareness nothing specific about where to go or what to do, unlike the other days I mentioned.

At least with other holidays that we don't celebrate like Thanksgiving, there is so much information out there I can get it from anywhere.

Having said all that anyone want to fill me in on "Nude Day" or is it just a voyeurs dream? lol

I found Earth Day a challenge to write about as it really never rates a mention here in Australia, possibly because we have Earth Hour and Clean Up Australia Day in the preceding month which are heavily highlighted by the media.

Perhaps other non-american writers found the same issues I did when trying to research what it was really about, lots of generalised airy fairy stuff about environmental awareness nothing specific about where to go or what to do, unlike the other days I mentioned.

At least with other holidays that we don't celebrate like Thanksgiving, there is so much information out there I can get it from anywhere.

Having said all that anyone want to fill me in on "Nude Day" or is it just a voyeurs dream? lol

Earth Day, from what I've found doing research, isn't celebrated uniformly. There are some places which, in the past, have given it a lot of attention. On the 20th anniversary in 1990, there was a lot of media exposure, same with the 30th anniversary in 2000. Apparently, there was also a pretty large global campaign for 2007. But since it's not a recognized national holiday, in a lot of places (like here in central Texas, where ti clashes with Fiesta), it's more or less glossed over.

Nude Day is another observance like Earth Day. It's not recognized, and seems to be localized to places like San Francisco. It's basically a celebration of naturism and nudity in general. But taking it all off is as good excuse as any to make it a Lit contest. ;)

Why couldn't you write about Earth Hour or Clean Up Australia Day. Would help for a bit of a change-up! And it's environmentally centered, so it should be fine, I would think. Anyone disagree?

Why couldn't you write about Earth Hour or Clean Up Australia Day. Would help for a bit of a change-up! And it's environmentally centered, so it should be fine, I would think. Anyone disagree?

I did actually focus most of my story around earth hour rather than earth day but I tried to include all three along the way :D

I was just giving a different perspective for why the numbers in the contest were low but I have been wrong before and no doubt will be again. It was just an opinion :)

Last edited:
I did actually focus must of the story around earth hour rather than earth day but I tried to include all three along the way :D

I was just giving a different perspective for why the numbers in the contest were low but I have been wrong before and no doubt will be again. It was just an opinion :)

One perspective is as good as any other. ;)

Back