The Isolated Political Blurt Thread

I don't read much WaPo because paywall but I get their email bulletins. Today:
Trifecta of cheap loans, high stock prices and low consumer prices is coming to an end
The result is that Americans spend more money on staples, pay more to borrow money to buy big-ticket items such as cars and homes, and are seeing less growth in their investments.

Trump-allied House conservatives draft articles of impeachment against Rosenstein as ‘last resort’
The lawmakers are targeting the deputy attorney general, who oversees the special counsel investigation, setting up a possible GOP showdown over the federal probe into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Of America
Trump sums up his foreign policy approach as ‘America first.’ What does that mean to Americans?

President Trump’s foreign policy has taken him on conflicting paths: moving to enact tariffs and cut immigration while also considering reentry to a trade deal that he pulled out of last year. Post reporters traveled across the country to ask what “America first” really means — and what role the United States should play in the world.
Follow the money. What's left of the money, anyway.

The result is that Americans spend more money on staples, pay more to borrow money to buy big-ticket items such as cars and homes, and are seeing less growth in their investments.

Then they hear that they don't have to pay back the money they owe. That the government will let them pay a small percentage. So why not run up the credit card debt. You have to owe more than $10,000 so that you can apply to pay back pennies on the dollar. So buy, buy, buy.

File_Apr_30_11_19_45_PM.png

When repugs pit black Americans and immigrants (black and brown) against each other with DACA.

Idiots that fall for the OKie Dokie :rolleyes:

After the false alarms from Hawaii's civil alert system in January, how many people took the volcano eruption alerts seriously?

After the false alarms from Hawaii's civil alert system in January, how many people took the volcano eruption alerts seriously?

A volcanic eruption isn't like a bomb coming from the sky. There were hundreds of earthquakes leading up to the actual eruption. The area that was evacuated lies in the volcanoes natural path to the ocean. The volcano is always active so one doesn't panic at the first earthquake but after days and days of them, yeah the people took the warnings seriously. That is not to say that some people didn't choose to stay in the area just like they do for fire, hurricane, tornado warnings. There are fools everywhere.

A steady diet of politics, feels as if I am getting a constant feeding of styrofoam [supplented :confused:] with anvils.

supplemented

my excuse ? distracted, I suppose

:eek:

Last edited:

Those in the Puna District did. They've been living with Madam Pele forever. This eruption has been going on since 1983, more or less.

*reads Willy the People comics*

Then, again, I am not certain that modern American students know about that euphemism.

I do not laugh, when I read American political comics.

Silencing the voices of archaeologists

Claims of doing it save money, are ridiculous, considering what Zinke and Pruitt spent on themselves.

Feds block government archaeologists from speaking at a major science conference

May 5, 2018

BLM staffers were scheduled to attend an April 14 gathering of the Society for American Archaeology, among the world’s largest organizations of professional archaeologists, in Washington, D.C.

But a few days before the conference, BLM supervisors decided against sending the staffers, many of whom are based in Western states where the agency manages millions of acres that contain countless sites and artifacts left by ancient American Indian civilizations.

“This is what we have come to expect from Republican administrations,” said Steve Bloch, legal director for the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance. “They have created every incentive for themselves to rush ahead, offer lands for lease, approve development and only reflect later that things should have been done differently and that, in fact, the impacts were greater than anticipated.”

https://www.sltrib.com/news/environ...-from-speaking-at-a-major-science-conference/

April 14, 2018

In late March, the B.L.M. sold leases on fifty thousand acres of public land in southeastern Utah, over the protests of tribal leaders, conservationists, and, most notable, another agency within the Interior Department—the National Park Service.

Under Zinke, the land nominated for leasing no longer requires a pre-sale environmental assessment. The Interior Department official said that the B.L.M. “is pushing us to authorize lease sales in a way that doesn’t trigger the same level of public involvement.” The source added, “We’re gonna get our asses handed to us in court.” In Bloch’s estimation, Zinke’s changes return the B.L.M. to the Drill Here, Drill now policies of the Bush administration.

https://www.newyorker.com/science/elements/ryan-zinkes-great-american-fire-sale

Back