The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 03: Come On In

Had my coffee, had a short stack of pancakes. Now, it is time to head off to the office. It's only a few blocks and years ago I would have walked. I think a cab is in order.

Had my coffee, had a short stack of pancakes. Now, it is time to head off to the office. It's only a few blocks and years ago I would have walked. I think a cab is in order.

With the heat and humidity, I don’t blame you,Tex🌹

I'm across the lake from you and it was unbearably hot. Heat index was close to 100 even with a light breeze. This evening we have thunderstorms. Forecast says cooler (80's) for the rest of the week.

It was similar here. The heat was dangerous, followed by evening thunderstorms. Annoyingly, it was my day off and that means I spent almost the entire day outdoors... Not my smartest moment. Working indoors with AC all day and taking my coffee ICED.

Is that digital coffee or cyber coffee?
Digital coffee brewed from digits, hopefully not phalanges. Cyber coffee brewed from psychos, hopefully not bitter. Hmmm, which to choose? I'll take the Guatemalan.

My phone alarm will toot in 17 minutes to remind me of meds and bear-dodging trash hauling. I have not decided on the timing of coffee. Before, after, or later? 15 minutes now. C'mon, decide.

I'd suggest we meet half way but i don't think I can swim that far anymore. ;) :rose: :kiss:

I can't swim that far either but I've heard there's this new invention called cars that can go from one place to another in a short time. :rose::kiss:

It was similar here. The heat was dangerous, followed by evening thunderstorms. Annoyingly, it was my day off and that means I spent almost the entire day outdoors... Not my smartest moment. Working indoors with AC all day and taking my coffee ICED.

After three weeks of asking my limited list of people, one finally had time to take me to the store. Of course I needed a lot of groceries, which didn't put themselves into or out of the car. All afternoon I struggled from the heat even with the air running. Last night I took a cold shower to cool off. When that didn't work, I sat in front of the fan. Another cold shower followed. I finally slept around 5 this morning. :rolleyes:

I can't swim that far either but I've heard there's this new invention called cars that can go from one place to another in a short time. :rose::kiss:

After the short cab ride this morning, I'm not sure I would survive a drive across Chicago. These people are crazier than any in Houston and that is saying a lot.

One meeting down and two to go. I'm hiding in the corner of my editors office until the second one begins. At least I have wifi.

The heat and humidity is about the same as at home so I'm good as far as the weather goes. I'm not to sure about all the glad handing and such here at the main offices. Not my cuppa tea. The only good thing is the shock value I'm having on people here I hadn't met in person before. I'm not anything like they imagined. :D

After the short cab ride this morning, I'm not sure I would survive a drive across Chicago. These people are crazier than any in Houston and that is saying a lot.

I remember driving in Houston and realizing I was the craziest driver on the street. Drivers downtown in Chicago are crazy, but they do their crazy things very slowly.

After three weeks of asking my limited list of people, one finally had time to take me to the store. Of course I needed a lot of groceries, which didn't put themselves into or out of the car. All afternoon I struggled from the heat even with the air running. Last night I took a cold shower to cool off. When that didn't work, I sat in front of the fan. Another cold shower followed. I finally slept around 5 this morning. :rolleyes:

Don't you have 'stores that will deliver' ?
We got +28C at present.
And the fan is ON
:kiss:

I'm back at the hotel. The second meeting ended up being a working lunch with hot pastrami sandwiches delivered. It went so well, the third meeting was canceled. I have now met the whole team who work on my books and they have met me. A lot of them are new as in, this is the third division of this house that I've published through under four different pen names.

A few knew me from before by phone but had never seen me. Needless to say, I'm not what most expected. For some reason, old Texas country boys aren't supposed to write young adult stories. At first, some thought it was a joke, I just didn't match my stories. By the end of the second meeting, I think all that got sorted out.

I made a pig of myself on the hot pastrami so no supper is needed.

Fresh coffee for the evening crew. Have fun. I see a nap at the very least in my near future.

You might try taking a shower as warm as you can handle. You will feel cooler when you get out. :) Also, putting a cool damp cloth around the back of your neck or soaking your feet in cool water will help cool off the rest of you. :)

Heat, schmeet. The cousins five minutes away have a swimming pool set amongst the sugar pines and we have an open invite. Pine pollen gets me but we're past that season so all is safe. (The cedars and Doug-firs on our ridge are non-allergenic. Whew.)

Driving in Chicago or Houston is pissant-play. Try perambulating around Mexico City. If you dare. The basic rules:
1) Right-of-way belongs to whatever is firstest and biggest.
2) Anything on less than 4 wheels (like peds) don't matter.​
The rest is free-form. Watch for taxi kidnappers, burning-tire barricades, and burros.

Enough. Coffee in the morning, then loud noises as contractors build stuff. Or maybe the loud noises will start first. It'll be hot and they like to quit early. So, coffee when and as necessary. As usual. Coffee coffee coffee...

Try driving in most any major mainland European country. Speed limits? Lanes? Rules? What are these things? Puts Americans to shame :D

Don't you have 'stores that will deliver' ?
We got +28C at present.
And the fan is ON
:kiss:

Not out here. :rose:

You might try taking a shower as warm as you can handle. You will feel cooler when you get out. :) Also, putting a cool damp cloth around the back of your neck or soaking your feet in cool water will help cool off the rest of you. :)

Hot showers aren't always the best for some of my medical issues but thanks.

Hot showers aren't always the best for some of my medical issues but thanks.

How's the new knee ? :rose:

I'd offer you a coffee,, but I'll substitute a Dr P in stead.
But for me at this time of the morning ?
Coffee.

Try driving around Paris' Arc de Triomphe in rush hour:
I've driven in military convoys across Germany. It was easy. For our personal weeks around Napoli (much later) we took shuttles and let other fools deal with driving. That was nutz enough.

Then there was the traffic cop in Guatemala City who wanted us to hire him and take him back to California. Did I mention that Central American drivers are only marginally sane? Not to forget roadside vendors with barricades. Every speed bump is a sales opportunity. But the coffee is great.

Coffee... oh no, only about three hours away now. Can I last?

I agree with you about driving in Germany (although it was many years ago when I did it). The Arc's traffic in Paris ain't much fun at any time, even 3am.

But for now -
Coffee.

If the lunches don't stop being so good, I'll weight 300 pounds by the time I head home. There was only me, my editor, and a couple of the artists that do cover art. A husband and wife and a very interesting couple. Older than I might have expected in today's job market.

I have some paperwork to look over and then I'm free for the afternoon. One of the proofreaders has decided I need to see some sights, so she has volunteered to be my chauffeur and guide. It should be an interesting afternoon.

This place is dead today. I guess no one made the coffee.

It was easy because military convoys, hey? 1st Infantry Division (The Big Red One) on ReForGer has right-of way.

My 1.5 cups barely sufficed. How about coffee with coca leaves? Get-up-n-go FTW!

You'd adulterate Coffee with Cocoa ?
Here, have some of my brew. . . .

Back