The 2023 Geek Pride Story Event: Official Support Page

As I research my story I suddenly realize that I'm MISSING SEVERAL DISCWORLD BOOKS!

How could I have let this happen? I'm going to have to turn in my pocket protector.

As I research my story I suddenly realize that I'm MISSING SEVERAL DISCWORLD BOOKS!

How could I have let this happen? I'm going to have to turn in my pocket protector.
I'm so sorry to hear that, Duleigh. Is there any way you can replace or reproduce that information?

I'm so sorry to hear that, Duleigh. Is there any way you can replace or reproduce that information?

"Reproduce" a lost Discworld book?

Never. They are special and unique, each and every one of them.

Luckily I can get a kindle version in seconds and I have that to keep the tremors at bay until the hard copy arrives. At least I didn't loose the Big Three - Science Fiction Book Club edition of The Colour of Magic, Science Fiction Book Club edition of Strata and my harcover edition of Where's My Cow, that would be irreplaceable

I have to stop moving from state to state, house to house

Luckily I can get a kindle version in seconds and I have that to keep the tremors at bay until the hard copy arrives. At least I didn't loose the Big Three - Science Fiction Book Club edition of The Colour of Magic, Science Fiction Book Club edition of Strata and my harcover edition of Where's My Cow, that would be irreplaceable

You mean they were originally on thumb drives? (Or memory sticks as some people call them.) I don't even know what a Discworld book is.

Pick any of the orange ones as an appetizer. I prefer the Death and Watch ones.
I'm not really into fantasy, if that's what it is. Science fiction, sometimes. Even there, I prefer something that relates to a world I can grasp. Dystopian futures are good, but not too far from the present.

As for other works: I'm about the start Bukowski's Hollywood. Fictionalized, yes, but definitely not fantasy.

I'm not really into fantasy, if that's what it is. Science fiction, sometimes. Even there, I prefer something that relates to a world I can grasp. Dystopian futures are good, but not too far from the present.

As for other works: I'm about the start Bukowski's Hollywood. Fictionalized, yes, but definitely not fantasy.

Pratchett is satire.

Set in a fantastical world, sure. But his stories are about modern times and places.

discworld.jpg
Great A'Tuin and on his back stand the four mighty elephants that hold the world on their shoulders...
and that's not the weird part.

Changing residences can be chaotic. My ex-wife had the "moving bug," and I let her get away with it. Fortunately, I haven't moved in a while now.

Changing residences can be chaotic. My ex-wife had the "moving bug," and I let her get away with it. Fortunately, I haven't moved in a while now.
I HATE moving, somehow I was able to spend 10 years on one duty location but when I retired and moved more times as a civilian than I did in the military, and now my wife wants to move again.

I HATE moving, somehow I was able to spend 10 years on one duty location but when I retired and moved more times as a civilian than I did in the military, and now my wife wants to move again.
Yes, I just mentioned that. Maybe after 25 years, I'm glad that I don't have a wife any longer. Not that I hold any grudges against her; I do talk to her on the phone sometimes. But between 1978 and 1997, we had - eight residences I think. There was always a good reason to move to the next one.

The turtle is from "the other Indians." Native Americans.
Nice combination of mythologies. They must have thought pretty highly of turtles, who seem kind of unimpressive to me. The big ones are particularly inert, on land at least. I suppose they are quite different in the water.

Yes, I just mentioned that. Maybe after 25 years, I'm glad that I don't have a wife any longer. Not that I hold any grudges against her; I do talk to her on the phone sometimes. But between 1978 and 1997, we had - eight residences I think. There was always a good reason to move to the next one.
I should have kept my first wife, she's still living in the house I bought her 40 years ago

I should have kept my first wife, she's still living in the house I bought her 40 years ago
"Regrets, I have had a few." My wife basically pulled the trigger, for economic reasons more than personal ones. So I couldn't have kept her even had I wanted to.

"Regrets, I have had a few." My wife basically pulled the trigger, for economic reasons more than personal ones. So I couldn't have kept her even had I wanted to.
I came home from 3 years of overseas deployments serving in war zones in Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and whatever yugoslavia became (I lost track) and she said, "Oh, you're back. (frown) It was so quiet here while you were gone."

That I could deal with if I tried, but I didn't try because my next question was, "Where is my truck?"

I came home from 3 years of overseas deployments serving in war zones in Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and whatever yugoslavia became (I lost track) and she said, "Oh, you're back. (frown) It was so quiet here while you were gone."

That I could deal with if I tried, but I didn't try because my next question was, "Where is my truck?"
You don't have to talk about this if it makes you uncomfortable, but perhaps you wish to get a bit of it out.

My own view is that it is not like previous eras when people were basically stuck with each other for life. Today many marriages - well, half of them anyway - seem to reach an endpoint, become obsolete perhaps. Thus I don't see mine as a failure now; it just ran its course and then it was over.

You don't have to talk about this if it makes you uncomfortable, but perhaps you wish to get a bit of it out.

My own view is that it is not like previous eras when people were basically stuck with each other for life. Today many marriages - well, half of them anyway - seem to reach an endpoint, become obsolete perhaps. Thus I don't see mine as a failure now; it just ran its course and then it was over.
That's pretty much how mine went, we're still friends, but I really miss that truck.

Back