The 2015 Literotica Awards Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If all those changes come through it would be nice. Although I think the e-mail notification is going to be a boon to the trolls who stalk their 'favorite' author.

If they do come into fruition...I can just imagine the boards lighting up with "What's this, how do I use it, what happened to...":eek:

I just don't see the utility of counting chickens at a "soon to be implemented" Web site when there are features, like the "coming soon" sneak peek feature, that have been coming soon for longer than the ten years I've been posting here and where we get old forum threads being brought back up where regular posters were explaining in posts more than ten years ago that the e-mail to admin feature here gets no response. When/if the changes come and when/if they respond to what users have not only said would be nice to have but have also pointed to what is broken and needs to be fixed that will be nice. Until it happens, it hasn't happened, though.

The glass is being represented as full already on the basis of declared plans to fill the glass that won't happen until/if it happens--and it hasn't happened since we sold the cow. Of course the glass is cracked. But as long as you draw everyone's attention away from that, they won't notice. the bread machine's working OK--or pretty OK--though. :rolleyes:

Did I mention head in the sand?

The glass is being represented as full already on the basis of declared plans to fill the glass that won't happen until/if it happens--and it hasn't happened since we sold the cow. Of course the glass is cracked. But as long as you draw everyone's attention away from that, they won't notice. the bread machine's working OK--or pretty OK--though. :rolleyes:

Did I mention head in the sand?

Indeed you have, Pilot.

I am thankful for what the site offers. I am here for the enjoyment, the education, and some fascinating characters for company, none of which I expected when I arrived. And it's all free. I don't look gift horses in the mouth. For some it provides more tangible benefits. Me, I'm just a happy camper, enjoying the vistas when I can, on happy days. When I no longer get enjoyment out of it, I will let the door close quietly on my backside.

There's a lot of quid pro quo in participating here. I haven't felt like I'm being taken advantage of anymore than I gain - quite the contrary. I fully get that it isn't perfect, and that it could be better, and perhaps intentions are bigger and rosier than the reality. But the alternative, to not have the site at all, with whatever drawbacks it might have now, would still be worse.

I happen to know a bit about how much work it is to put a web site together. It's a horrendous time sink, and we're talking small potatoes compared to this kind of web environment. Yes, Lit occasionally feels a bit like the leaning Tower of Pisa. But I respect it, and Laurel and Manu, for what they offer, a playground with many floors and rooms for us adult children. :rose:

OK, back in the sand I go.

I'm happy for you. But then you don't spend all that much time helping new users with navigating the Web site. You just enjoy yourself.

Where is anyone saying that individual chapters deserve to be considered equally alongside full stories? I don't see it in this thread, and I can barely think a couple of examples where there's ever been any sort of support for that line of thinking.

You're preaching to the bloody choir.

The fact is that they are allowed to be considered under the current rules. That's not changing midstream of a contest in progress. Spitting on people who have been nominated for submissions that are fully within the rules of the contest by using them as "examples" is flat out wrong, and does nothing to advance your cause.

A cause for which I'll reiterate there's virtually no dissent.

What it does is cause pointless drama.

When I brought it up oh so long ago, I made sure it was in between contests. Let the competitors enjoy the competition, let the winners have a little time to enjoy the win, point to the overall trends instead of using insulting examples that single out other authors, and you end up with a civil, thoughtful discussion.

Where is anyone saying that individual chapters deserve to be considered equally alongside full stories? I don't see it in this thread, and I can barely think a couple of examples where there's ever been any sort of support for that line of thinking.

You're preaching to the bloody choir.

The fact is that they are allowed to be considered under the current rules. That's not changing midstream of a contest in progress. Spitting on people who have been nominated for submissions that are fully within the rules of the contest by using them as "examples" is flat out wrong, and does nothing to advance your cause.

A cause for which I'll reiterate there's virtually no dissent.

What it does is cause pointless drama.

When I brought it up oh so long ago, I made sure it was in between contests. Let the competitors enjoy the competition, let the winners have a little time to enjoy the win, point to the overall trends instead of using insulting examples that single out other authors, and you end up with a civil, thoughtful discussion.

Just for the record, how long has this discussion with virtually no dissent been going on? What has been done about it? It seems like nothing gets done around here unless someone's feet are actually held to a fire. Which brings up the point of why bring this back at this time when the fix is supposedly just up the road? Pointing out the obvious is way to easy. :rolleyes:

Just for the record, how long has this discussion with virtually no dissent been going on? What has been done about it? It seems like nothing gets done around here unless someone's feet are actually held to a fire. Which brings up the point of why bring this back at this time when the fix is supposedly just up the road? Pointing out the obvious is way to easy. :rolleyes:

Awesome. So adorable. You think you can put a fire to their feet. :D

In that case, it's worth pointing out the obvious and what it's really about:

"If we whine loud and long enough, we can control what our parents buy us for dinner!"

Solely with your well-being in mind, I hope this proposed change takes 15 years, that the annual awards happen every year, and that each and every year you guys watch as more chapters beat the tar out of your own stories. With luck, Lovecraft will choke on his bile before year 5, srpilot will go senile by year 7, and TxRad will go medically impotent somewhere in there, to the point not even the blue pill fixes.

The site admins decide when, and if. That's what makes me grin about this whole thread. :D I bet the civil discussions have had more to do with Laurel's considerations than you 'tards. The only possible effect you could be having on any reasonable person (never mind one who's been dealing with you for years, poor thing!) is that you take away motivation to get it done quick.

Pardon me, I'm going to go vote on some chapters.

Awesome. So adorable. You think you can put a fire to their feet. :D

In that case, it's worth pointing out the obvious and what it's really about:

"If we whine loud and long enough, we can control what our parents buy us for dinner!"

Solely with your well-being in mind, I hope this proposed change takes 15 years, that the annual awards happen every year, and that each and every year you guys watch as more chapters beat the tar out of your own stories. With luck, Lovecraft will choke on his bile before year 5, srpilot will go senile by year 7, and TxRad will go medically impotent somewhere in there, to the point not even the blue pill fixes.

The site admins decide when, and if. That's what makes me grin about this whole thread. :D I bet the civil discussions have had more to do with Laurel's considerations than you 'tards. The only possible effect you could be having on any reasonable person (never mind one who's been dealing with you for years, poor thing!) is that you take away motivation to get it done quick.

Pardon me, I'm going to go vote on some chapters.

Ah yes, someone who has been here for several years and has 35 posts but knows everything that goes on here. Ain't it nice to be such a quick study. :rolleyes:

Ah yes, someone who has been here for several years and has 35 posts but knows everything that goes on here. Ain't it nice to be such a quick study. :rolleyes:

I don't know about bile but I do have something they can choke on.

Of course I mean my success here.;)

Which should tell anyone with a brain I am not whining. Why should? I have done just fine here right down to having been nominated in four categories all based on standalone work I might add. All four blue w-not blue pills- on stand alone as well

But unlike the majority I look at what is fair and wrong for all not just myself.

And as yku said too few here are unwilling to risk their precious red h's to pipe up so its easy to brand the three of us as trolls.

We saw that first hand last summer when anyone who left a non glowing remark on a certain authors story were bombed and had nasty anon commenrs on their contest entries.

But that is never addressed only things addressed here are shhh don't say what is wrong.

You know like voting groups laying twenty votes on their friends here

Last edited:
Of course most of what has been brought up in this thread has little or nothing to do with anything that requires structural changes to the Web site.

It does not take an overhaul or programming change to no longer allow chapters to qualify for monthlies, you simply remove them from the list of finalists

Same for these yearly awards. It does not take tech to not let them qualify. Moreso it does not take upgrades to take a quick look at finalists to weed out something as ridiculous as a person who posted one chapter of a series in 2015 qualifying for influential author.

It takes common sense not tech to see thst a character from a long running series has an edge in sexiest female over the three stand alone characters because it has the support of a three year fanbase.

What it takes is dilligence effort and wanting to.

The rules said the nominees where the highest scoring in the category. However, I for one, think that if one chapter scores high, the judges should search out the rest of the chapters and combine the grade for the entire story. These stories should be judged as an entire story instead of a high scoring chapter. There are many stories out there where each chapter scored very high so I suspect it would not change the outcome much.

As a newbie to this site, I do however hope there is a rule somewhere that only FINISHED stories can compete. My heart is still broken over 4+ rated stories with a hundred favorites and the author never finished the story and probably never will. So many comments ask the author to finish the story but alas, it is not to be.

Perhaps that should be another category; Best of the Unfinished.......

The rules said the nominees where the highest scoring in the category. However, I for one, think that if one chapter scores high, the judges should search out the rest of the chapters and combine the grade for the entire story. These stories should be judged as an entire story instead of a high scoring chapter. There are many stories out there where each chapter scored very high so I suspect it would not change the outcome much.

As a newbie to this site, I do however hope there is a rule somewhere that only FINISHED stories can compete. My heart is still broken over 4+ rated stories with a hundred favorites and the author never finished the story and probably never will. So many comments ask the author to finish the story but alas, it is not to be.

Perhaps that should be another category; Best of the Unfinished.......

Those are good points and have been suggested. The key is the series has to be finished because at that point it is now a story.

Again this is not all that difficult to check and 'enforce', its a matter of the site deciding when they have had enough years of the same issue before they decide to fix it.

*Goes to vote on the Sci-Fi & Fantasy choices*

*reads choices*

*thinking*
Shit.
I've read 4/5 of these. And I loved all of them.

...And now I have to choose.

Crap.

I will not vote in this category, since I believe this is a waste of a good writers talents

I didn't vote it either but for a different reason and that is the fact msny reading and writing there don't know the difference between bdsm and non consent. That and it seems only men can dominate here so another inaccuracy.

I am not saying my first point applies to the nominees but I boycott it all here these days for my own personal principles

I am happy to see Pocketbooklover make the list, but I really hope she updates her story soon because it's been a year. I know her chapters are really long now. Thank God I am patient though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back