Star Wars day

SimonDoom

Kink Lord
May the Forth be with you. Today is the 47th anniversary of the debut of Star Wars. We bring it and a few other fantasy franchises up so often I figured it was worth mentioning. It's hard to believe it's been so long. I remember waiting in a very long line to get into the theater that weekend and being awestruck by the movie's special effects and how fun the story was.

May the Forth be with you. Today is the 47th anniversary of the debut of Star Wars. We bring it and a few other fantasy franchises up so often I figured it was worth mentioning. It's hard to believe it's been so long. I remember waiting in a very long line to get into the theater that weekend and being awestruck by the movie's special effects and how fun the story was.
I believe it was actually released on May 25th. But Lucas has retconned so much over the years, he might have changed that, too. 🤷‍♀️🖖;)

I believe it was actually released on May 25th. But Lucas has retconned so much over the years, he might have changed that, too. 🤷‍♀️🖖;)

You're right! It's been so long and I got accustomed to thinking Star Wars day was the release date. Oh well. We can still celebrate.

I believe it was actually released on May 25th.
Yeah, this isn't the anniversary, just that "May the fourth" works for the pun. Still a good and memorable date to comemmorate it on.

I don't remember long lines. As I remember it, it wasn't any big deal when it opened, but word of mouth spread quickly. I hadn't even heard about it until a friend's older brother said how great it was. I ended up seeing it in the theater 11 times.

It was an absolutely mind-blowing experience. Kid's these days will never know what it was like seeing SFX like that, that nobody had seen before.

The best day of my life was when I saw Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back in one sitting at age 10. I was blown away.

And yes, my wife is aware that this ranks above our wedding day.

She sounds like a keeper. Has she ever agreed to wear the Leia bikini for you? Then you know you've really hit the jackpot.

I saw Return of the Jedi in theaters around this time last year. Great fun! I was too young the first time around. Saw Episodes 1-3 and 7 in theaters also, wasn’t as impressed. Oh well.

Yeah, this isn't the anniversary, just that "May the fourth" works for the pun. Still a good and memorable date to comemmorate it on.

I don't remember long lines. As I remember it, it wasn't any big deal when it opened, but word of mouth spread quickly. I hadn't even heard about it until a friend's older brother said how great it was. I ended up seeing it in the theater 11 times.

It was an absolutely mind-blowing experience. Kid's these days will never know what it was like seeing SFX like that, that nobody had seen before.

I remember that 70's show episode when the gang went to the movies, but the dudes were just so slackjawed at the special effects of SW that they forgot to feel up their girlfriends.

Mine was the prequels. I was the right age when they came out, and they'll always have a special place in my heart. For all Lucas' flaws as a director, he deeply enriched his lore with those movies. The worldbuilding was incredible. Whereas the recent reboot not only didn't add a single thing to the lore, they created huge plot holes (like the hyperdrive bombs).

And the duel of the fates is my favorite lightsaber fight of all time. That was just like "WOAH. I didn't know they could do that."

Mine was the prequels. I was the right age when they came out, and they'll always have a special place in my heart. For all Lucas' flaws as a director, he deeply enriched his lore with those movies. The worldbuilding was incredible. Whereas the recent reboot not only didn't add a single thing to the lore, they created huge plot holes (like the hyperdrive bombs).
As amazing as Rogue One was, I'd happily trade it away if it meant that the sequels never happened.

She sounds like a keeper. Has she ever agreed to wear the Leia bikini for you? Then you know you've really hit the jackpot.
I wouldn't be able to stop myself from quoting Star Wars, and referring to my willie as my "lightsaber", and it would quickly end in an eye-roll that could be seen from space.

I am so glad I'm not at work today and have to listen to this all day.

Tomorrow however, now that's a day I can get behind.

I wouldn't be able to stop myself from quoting Star Wars, and referring to my willie as my "lightsaber", and it would quickly end in an eye-roll that could be seen from space.
ulXfUdG.gif

Star Wars was really formative for a lot of people. I was 11 when it came out. To call it life changing for a young Rob would be accurate. And it opened the door for a lot of big budget sci-fi after it. But GL pulled the story from a lot of different influences and he put it all together into a grand story. But it was clear at some point he was quite in love with his own creativity and no one was ballsy enough to say, "George the gungans are awful. Hire a kid who can act. You're not the genius you think you are. WTF, midicloreans? And the prequels are the result, sadly. The saddest part though is the bones were there for a good story.

Last edited:
, "George the gungans are awful.

I'm 10000% on board with the Darth JarJar conspiracy. That could have been epic had he not bitched out and created Dooku to fulfil the same purpose.

He needed his ex wife there to edit and reel him in, so to speak.

A New Hope is a truly special movie. So are episodes V and VI, although I've always thought episode VI was slightly weaker than the other two originals.

I've also always been of the opinion that the prequels and sequels are sort of equally bad. Force Awakens is my favourite of those six and Rise of Skywalker is my least favourite. Take that as you will.

Rogue One and Solo are fine: just fun action movies. If Rogue One had more characterisation it might be one of my favourites, because it's really well made. I just wish I cared a little more about all the characters when they started dying off in the final 30 mins.

The only show I've seen all the way through is Andor, which I think is fitting. I've mostly heard that the others aren't worth it (other than early Mandalorian).

May the 4th be with you! I rewatched the prequels today with a friend who'd never seen them, and I forgot quite how much I love Revenge of the Sith. Probably my second favourite SW film after Empire Strikes Back.

Also watched most of the new animated series that dropped today.

A New Hope is a truly special movie. So are episodes V and VI, although I've always thought episode VI was slightly weaker than the other two originals.
I read somewhere that the Ewoks were actually supposed to be Wookiees. If you picture that in your head, suddenly it becomes the most awesomest of the trilogy.

Rogue One and Solo are fine: just fun action movies. If Rogue One had more characterisation it might be one of my favourites, because it's really well made. I just wish I cared a little more about all the characters when they started dying off in the final 30 mins.
I know what you mean. It took me a while to realise that Bodhi had actually joined the Scooby Gang. Otherwise, though, it was an excellent movie. Reminded me of the old war movies from the sixties and seventies: grey and gritty, and everyone dies. (One row in front of me in the theatre was a dad with three very young children. I've always assumed it was his Wednesday to have the kids, and he wasn't going to let that stand in the way of him seeing the new SW movie.)

Solo was just fun. It could have done with less fan service, but as a straightforward heist movie I enjoyed it.
The only show I've seen all the way through is Andor, which I think is fitting. I've mostly heard that the others aren't worth it (other than early Mandalorian).
The live action television series are actually mostly quite good, as long as you view them as pure entertainment (with the obvious exception of Andor, which is just stellar television). Early Mandalorian is better than late Mandalorian, and the second half of Ahsoka is better than the first. The only dud really is Boba Fett, and even that has several episodes that are mostly The Mandalorian. You should watch them if only to see a Dyson Ring. Then skip the final episode, because it's just awful.

Reminded me of the old war movies from the sixties and seventies: grey and gritty, and everyone dies.
That's probably my favourite thing about Rogue One (and also Andor). The Empire feels truly menacing, and it all feels like a real war. That old quote "Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise" seems truly wise in light of those two productions! Rogue One also has some really stellar visuals.

Solo was just fun. It could have done with less fan service, but as a straightforward heist movie I enjoyed it.
I've always thought they should've just made a Lando film. Han's character arc is perfect in the original trilogy while Lando has already had growth before we ever meet him that I'd have loved to have seen. Plus Donald Glover was just absolutely perfect casting.
Early Mandalorian is better than late Mandalorian
I'm one of those weird folk who actually really enjoyed season 3. There were some weak points, sure, but overall I was enthralled. Plus I grew up on the Clone Wars so seeing Bo-Katan fulfil her destiny was great for me to see.
the second half of Ahsoka is better than the first
I'd probably agree with that. The first episodes I did enjoy, but from 4 on was when I was really loving it. It really reminded me of that classic Star Wars feel where it's a bit campy but still thoroughly enjoyable. Plus episode 5 with the delve into Ahsoka's trauma was a treat.
several episodes that are mostly The Mandalorian
I do not get why they didn't just release a 90-minute special entitled "The Return of the Mandalorian" separate from the Boba Fett series. It still could've tied in, but wouldn't have detracted from the actual Boba Fett storyline for 2 weeks randomly.
Now what would a seven foot tall wookie be doing on Endor with a bunch of three foot tall ewoks?

It ... makes ... no ... sense!
Gotta love the Chewbacca Defense.

I've always thought they should've just made a Lando film. Han's character arc is perfect in the original trilogy while Lando has already had growth before we ever meet him that I'd have loved to have seen. Plus Donald Glover was just absolutely perfect casting.
I'd watch that.
I do not get why they didn't just release a 90-minute special entitled "The Return of the Mandalorian" separate from the Boba Fett series. It still could've tied in, but wouldn't have detracted from the actual Boba Fett storyline for 2 weeks randomly.
Covid complicated the filming of Boba Fett, if I recall correctly. Most of the Mandalorian bits were on a sound stage, so much easier to do under the restrictions.

But you're right. Even better, they could have left it until the start of S3 of The Mandalorian, so they could have reduced some of the filler that annoyed so many watchers.

Then again, I never saw the point of the Boba Fett series in the first place. Never understood why he's such a fan favourite.

Back