Second chance with the writer (Closed)

Asa

Writer...Dream...Fantasy
383full-patricia-velasquez.jpg

Lorelei

She had always been a loner throughout school as far back as she could remember. She never truly fit into any of the typical cliques. Now a writer a d even more of a loner she had unfortunately promised perhaps her only friend throughout school that she would attend the 20 yr reunion. Arriving she realized why she was barely what you would call acquaintances with most of the people in the rented banquet hall. Shayla motioned her over. Perhaps one of if not her only friend throughout school. Shayla could mingle with and get along with anyone. Shayla was busy talking with a couple of guys. She suspected they were husband's of actual students till Shayla introduced them. Lorelei couldn't believe it when Shayla called them by name. The two guys had been almost like brothers in high school, who seemed to run most of the less common school teams... Martial arts... Gymnastics and the expected football.

Shayla just called this stunning woman over and it's Lore? No fucking way... Gods she hasn't changed at all... Still so real so... Lore. It's asinine looking back we had let ego and rep prevent us from the focus of our dreams back then. Lore was a mystery that most didn't have the guts to solve. However now we are not stupid kids... Easy wasn't what we wanted... They were still all around us. Even more so now in this room since our bank accounts matched our former highschool egos. Nope... We wanted real and we were willing to share it... Maybe?

----------------------

Shayla knew exactly who she was looking for when she dragged Lore to the reunion. She knew Lore would love two men together... Hell at least a third of her books ended up that way and she knew just who she needed to make sure Lore saw. Shayla knew they both liked Lore back then but pathetic school hierarchy didn't exactly have a place for Lore to fit in but now... Shayla was going to play matchmaker.

Hey guys... You will never believe who I got to show up. Wait here...

LORE! Come here you have to see who I just found.

Lore sighed and walked over..

Geez Shayla. Would you be any more loud and obnoxious... Who....

She paused...

Hey guys... Been a long time...

“I wish I hadn’t been talked into this jacket” James thought as he shifted his shoulders uncomfortably. They were broad, and the bodly patterned jacket he’d let himself be talked into by the salesman was cut in the modern style. Cut for little guys with slim shoulders, for fey fashion model types. It had been really great to reconnect with Jim, his best friend from high school though.

Once, they’d been almost joined at the hip: co-captains of the football team James a QB, Jim Middle linebacker, winners of the annual intradistrict debate club contest a record 4 years running, and both received first class scholarship offers for men’s gymnastics. As the only children of parents who frequently found themselves traveling for work during the week they were often found at each others houses, keeping each other company while parents were away.

James never was sure what it was that put distance between them, but they chose different colleges after graduation and just…slowly drifted out of touch. Well, it was more complicated than that James admitted to himself, but it was easier to not be too keen to assign blame.

When Shayla walked over it was like old times again. They were laughing and joking when Shayla called out for Lore!

James hadn’t thought of that name in many years, she’d been hot alright. But a loner, kind of stuck up was the rumor. Fortunately, Jim knew her better than the rumors and he and James had always been as friendly as school politics would allow.

If anything, Lore was hotter than he remembered. He put his hand on Jim’s shoulder, it seemed natural, almost unconscious as he did, but Jim gave him a glance before greeting her.

“I know right? Wow, it’s been too long! Tell us about what you’ve been up to?”

She bit at her lip a little as she stood there for a moment. Every fiber screaming run not she finally spoke.

Published author what about you two?

Shayla feeling confident that her work here was done wandered off silently to go find others.

James raised his eyebrows “No shit? That’s awesome!”
Jim was enthusiastic as well “That’s really cool, what kind of stuff do you write? I’m an architect these days, it’s boring, but it pays the bills”

Just like always except now I have agents editors and publishers to keep happy. What about you James?

James coughed. “I’m currently in between employers. There’s not a lot of demand for chronically injured dancer on stage, and I don’t have the resume to teach. I’m about to give up to be honest, construction always pays well.” He paused awkwardly and shifted his feet “Sorry Lore, TMI? I’m doing okay overall honestly You heard that Rochelle and I broke up right?”

Well, they do say never feed a writer so TMI I guess is in the ear of the beholder. I never did really keep up with anyone other than Shayla and as for work look into book cover modeling and see if that's something you might like. I am always having to wade through pics and proofs of cover models for my books. In fact, I should be doing that right now if someone had not pulled the you owe me card. Shayla means well but doesn't seem to understand her divorce from Grant got her tons of money and free time the rest of us still live on deadlines and book deals.

James was intrigued “book cover modeling? But the only kind of book I can think that would want a model like me is…” his eyes widened in realization “no way! Lorelei? I saw your name on some books in the romance section at Barnes and noble. I didn’t think that it could ever be you! Wow. So, romance fiction huh? How’d you get into that?”

He took another sip of his punch. “What kind of romance do you write anyway? I heard about this one guy who writes about gay dinosaur stuff, Chuck someone or other, it’s not like that is it?”

I write in a few different genres and some literary fiction however my more romantic-based writing is reverse harem, mmf, even have a couple of them that are younger men trying to win over an older woman.

As if on cue her phone buzzed. Looking at it she sighed.

Hang on a moment.

Turning she answered. Hello Gareth... No, I have not finished going through the model photos... Not like you have sent me anyone new lately so see if they can photoshop Black hair on Robert and Get them to have Eric posed with him in such a way he looks taller than Robert... I don't know. I am busy... Yes pass that little tidbit along to your other half my editor and hang up Gareth. Bye Gareth.

Hanging up the call she turned her phone off.

Where were we?

Jim’s eyes sparkled with mischief, “yknow Lore, James here is unemployed as you know, and I think we can both agree that he could pass for a romantic lead if the lighting was right and they completely photoshopped his face and body”

James punched his old friend in the arm and laughed. The thought of lazy high school vacation summer afternoons in his friends bed had been running through his head since the moment he realized that Jim was here. Jim hadn’t been too unhappy with his face and body then: The reality was that he could use a few bucks and hey, how cool would it be to model for a published author friend?

“Jim’s being an ass, but I’d be genuinely interested potentially. What is your book all about?”

This latest one is a vampire and a were feline and their witch lover. Romance and mystery solving the centuries-old mystery of why her ancestors fled from the village and who really was hunting them.

She looked him over.

You and Eric could play off of each other nicely.

Taking out her phone she snapped a couple of pictures of both of them but looked like she was just getting James and quickly shooting them off to her artwork people with his contact info.

Should be a done deal Gareth tends to let me have my way on these matters.

“So…would I be the vampire?” Asked James hesitantly “I don’t mind dressing up a little, but I’d want to be a modern tortured vampire in leather jacket and sunglasses, and not a campy Nosferatu type” he thought about it some more. Jim was being a bit of an ass, time to serve it back

“You know who actually would look good as a were-feline?” He nodded his head at his old friend “Jim here virtually lives for the musical Cats. He’d be great for the role” James stood behind Jim and posed dramatically behind him, placing his hands on Jim’s chest and looking down his nose as if he had sunglasses on

“Mistress witch, I think I know who drove your family out of this village, but I’m going to need you to trust my were-tiger companion and I to…”

“Alright, alright” Jim removed James’s hands from his chest but let their hands linger together for a moment before dropping them “James, if you are really that nervous about posing for a book cover, I supposed I *could* be persuaded to come along for the shoot. For moral support of course, and to hang out with an old friend. That is, if you aren’t afraid that the photographer will want a better looking vampire when he sees me”

Oh, no need to dress up too many boys.

She smiled watching them. They had never really run in the same circles in high school but being an outsider afforded her the ability to people-watch and learn more about her classmates than they might have even known about themselves back then or were comfortable with anyone knowing. The touch and the hands lingering were not surprising to her in the slightest but a clear sign they were still connected.

As for wardrobe and who is on the cover like I said they tend to let me get my way on all of that.

So enough shop talk. Tell me about the real two of you. Real life since high school... Come on boys... I dare you to feed the writer's mind.

A devious wink as she relaxed more sitting back a little and ordering a drink from the server

James shrugged “there’s not much to tell. After graduating I went to college, came back here after graduating and dated Rochelle Miller for a while, that got intense, I thought she was the one…turns out no” he shrugged “These things happen I suppose. I worked on and off in minor dance productions, it’s my passion, but I blew my knee out playing football in senior year- remember the championship game?- and it’s never been stable since.”

Jim patted him affectionately on the shoulder “it’s a good thing that someone is a trust fund baby. Did you know that he doesn’t have to really work Lorelei?”

“But, he wants to work” James said firmly. “I don’t need my fathers money. Not how he got it”

Jim looked at him puzzled “what are you worried about, didn’t work for the government or something as a consultant?”

“Way worse. He was a lobbyist for the far right conservative agenda. Those bozos have paid him millions to try to stem the tide of history” James shifted his weight awkwardly and looked away “he was the reason that…you know” he said meaningfully to Jim.

Well, you don't have to worry about any of that rubbish with me. I always notice things and maybe during my books, they could have found their way into romances that I wouldn't have minded at all long.

Hell my parents wanted Harvard, not some "smut peddler" who writes about all manner of sacrilege, Blasphemy and all things "evil" and filthy.

She shrugged.

Haven't spoken to them since graduation.

“Shit guys, I’m sorry” Jim squeezed his shoulder apologetically and moved a little closer to him “I had no idea about either of those things. Lore, Jesus, that’s awful. These freakin fundies…” he shook his head and the. looked up at her. “Lorelei, it’s been lovely seeing you again, these reunions are not my jam even a little bit. Tell you what, James, do you still have the old apartment up on 2nd?”

“Yeah, the river view isn’t what it was, but that’s the one piece of my fathers charity that I have to accept right now”

“Why don’t the three of us meet up there? I’ll pick up a little whiskey or a little weed?” He raised his eyebrows at Lorelei to test for a reaction

“I only have one bed you know”

“I do” James laughed, there might have been a devious twinge to it, but in the noisy rented hall it was hard to tell. Certainly his face gave nothing away except the usual mischievous sparkle in his eyes “we will figure it out I’m sure. I can sleep on the couch...or something, let's not over think this"

"And where will Lore sleep you selfish couch hogging prick?" James joked back at him, but Jim was already walking to the door

He turned around "Coming, or what?"

Better idea... Follow me, boys.

A wicked little smirk toyed with her lips as she stood up and walked away not leaving room for disagreement.

“Jim!” James called and pointed at Lorelei. “Let’s go with her” he followed her out, a step or two behind. He didn’t remember Lore having an ass like that…Jim caught up with them both

“So what’s the plan?@

She just smiled till they got outside and she walked over to a vintage 1971 Hemi Cuda in the classic Plum Crazy Purple with black trim.

Personally I say we just do to my loft with the view of the mountains

“dang, sweet wheels” Jim said admiringly “that was my dream car in high school. We can follow you up there. James” he looked over at his old best friend with inquiring eyes “I’ve had less to drink, why don’t you ride with me? I don’t drive a fancy ass writers car but I can promise you 1997s finest cracked leather and the smooth conspiracy theory stylings of Coast to Coast AM on my broken stereo.” He waggled his eyebrows dramatically “Cmon, we can catch up a bit more. It’s been way too long”

Helps when your 9-5 for several years was in a place that built custom parts for classic and muscle cars.

She smirked at his talk of the two of them catching up more on the way and slipped a card into Jim's pocket.

Don't take too long

Jim looked at the address “I know this neighborhood, Lorelei you’ve done okay for yourself, wow”

His car started on the second try and, as promised, George Noorys warm voice kept them company as pulled out of the parking lot and headed towards the Loft.

“…do you think that these happenings, these events, these mysterious conflagrations of what seems like random chance but can’t possibly be could be the work of our alien overlords?” The radio crackled and buzzed slightly on the radio as they drove. A silence loomed between them, waiting to be broken.

“Look um” James began

“You don’t have to say anything” Jim said firmly “it’s in the past”

“Maybe” agreed James “but I owe you an explanation”

Jim turned down the radio and sighed. “Fine”

“I want you to know how much I enjoyed that last summer after graduation. I discovered so much about myself in so many ways. You were my best friend, and so much more.” James hesitated and put his hand on his drivers leg “Jim, I know we were careful, but my father heard us one day when he came home early. He demanded that I cut off all contact immediately”

“It was extremely confusing to me” affirmed Jim

“It must have been, and I’m so sorry” he squeezed his old boyfriends leg softly “if I had my time again…”

“Don’t” Jim glanced at him with warning in his eyes “just fucking don’t. What’s been has been. We were kids then…so much has happened since. That summer was amazing, learning your body was…well. I’ve never been with someone who made me feel more whole. Can we just agree that it sucked and move forward without dwelling on what happened or what could have been?”

“Just know that I’m sorry” James said, removing his hand from Jim’s leg and trying to ignore the sinuous tentacles of desire that were spreading a tingly warmth through his body. They drove in silence for a little longer, the radio still turned down, the past had been left somewhere by the corner of Washington and 4th with all its hurt, confusion, and complicated feelings. Time to drive on, together.

“I thought you were an architect?” James asked eventually “why are you driving this shit box?”

“Hah! This is my first car. I keep it in its orginal condition to remind me of how far I have come in life. My Raptor is in the shop right now, I blew one of the shocks last weekend, thought it would mess with people to come in ol Maude”

Before long, they pulled up to the address on the card. Lores car was parked on the street in front of the building.

She had tossed her purse on the chair and was in the kitchen getting some wine and looking at the dismal array of leftovers in the fridge. She really needed to go shopping. Opting for calling for Pizza and wings once they were there and really seeing what they wanted as well. She had looked over and saw the note from the neighbor kid who she pays to walk her pit Porthos. Who as if on cue let her know someone was near the door with a big grin and dancing by the door like a pup half his age.

James knocked softly on your door. His mind and his heart were racing. Jim reached out and squeezed his hand unexpectedly. “I’m glad to be friends again”

She opened the door only to get pushed out of the way be a goofy playful pitbull.

That's Porthos... He is an attention hound. Porthos let them get in the door please you old goof.

Steppong back she tried to pull him with her but he really wanted to make new friends.

Back