Runners unite?

Been getting back into running again since Christmas. Did a 10km race mid-Feb and set a PB. Nothing special to some of the better runners but I was pleased!

Got another 10km towards the end of March when I'm hoping to better that, and then a half marathon in May which I need to ramp up the training for! I want to do that under 2 hours which feels achievable.

Never seen this thread before but I'll keep an eye on it now I have.

I competed in my first-ever 10 mile race today. I'm very pleased that I was able to maintain my target pace throughout, with a bit of acceleration towards the end. As a result, I arrived at the finish line more than three minutes earlier than my wildest predictions based on my form during training. :D

I'm very grateful to the helpful marshals and the many enthusiastic supporters who lined the race route. It's amazing how their cheering and encouragement can provide such a big mental and physical lift. :)

Congratulations - excellent stuff!

It's amazing what a difference race day makes and having people around you spurs you on I thought when I did the 10km as I also ran a couple of minutes quicker than expected!

I competed in my first-ever 10 mile race today. I'm very pleased that I was able to maintain my target pace throughout, with a bit of acceleration towards the end. As a result, I arrived at the finish line more than three minutes earlier than my wildest predictions based on my form during training. :D

I'm very grateful to the helpful marshals and the many enthusiastic supporters who lined the race route. It's amazing how their cheering and encouragement can provide such a big mental and physical lift. :)

I run 4km every morning then 2 every afternoon. It was tough to begin with but now if I miss a day I feel like I'm lacking something essential.

It's all been worth it. Muscles may attract the girls but cardio keeps them coming back

My daughter coming in from work this evening informed me she has signed the two of us up for a 21km mom/daughter marathon around the city in April for a well worth charity cause. Although quite fit from swimming and tennis, any advice from regular runners on how to avoid blisters would be gratefully appreciated.

My daughter coming in from work this evening informed me she has signed the two of us up for a 21km mom/daughter marathon around the city in April for a well worth charity cause. Although quite fit from swimming and tennis, any advice from regular runners on how to avoid blisters would be gratefully appreciated.

oh I would also like to know how to avoid blisters.

I've found a good pair of shoes helps a lot. This doesn't mean the most expensive brand name pair though. Check out Some forums on running for some good recommendations. For me the simpler the better for me

I've found a good pair of shoes helps a lot. This doesn't mean the most expensive brand name pair though. Check out Some forums on running for some good recommendations. For me the simpler the better for me
I'd recommend going to a running shop for trainers where they can measure you and get them fitted properly - taking into account your running style as well. It's definitely worth it.

I took a little break but got back into it. 5 easy miles this morning.

after a break

Getting over a little head cold, but can't wait to start running again. I think I'll do 3 tomorrow and 5 on Friday to ease back in.

Oh - and I've read tons of running books. I wish I had written "Born to Run," lol. I've been intrigued with the Tarahumara since seeing them in person about 10 years ago. But I think the barefoot running thing is crap. My opinion, running barefoot is for people who can't afford shoes.

Skipping underwear, however, is highly recommended. Especially when wearing a skirt.

Getting over a little head cold, but can't wait to start running again. I think I'll do 3 tomorrow and 5 on Friday to ease back in.

Oh - and I've read tons of running books. I wish I had written "Born to Run," lol. I've been intrigued with the Tarahumara since seeing them in person about 10 years ago. But I think the barefoot running thing is crap. My opinion, running barefoot is for people who can't afford shoes.

Skipping underwear, however, is highly recommended. Especially when wearing a skirt.

Well skipping underwear and wearing a skirt should be a recommendation for life, not just for when running

I tried the barefoot thing. I ended up with an Achilles strain. I guess it works for some people. Not me

A busy weekend for me! Yesterday, I ran my fastest 5km time of the last 12 months at my regular venue. This morning, I completed a trial run for my half-marathon at the end of the month: 13.2 miles in just under two hours (including crossing of busy roads and dodging around daydreaming pedestrians). I'm still feeling good. :D

Took running up last year and really love it, Doing a 1/2 marathon in May and the GNR in September

Did a half marathon yesterday in 1:40.....I was happy with my time!

I'd be a bit more than happy with 1:40! :)

Took running up last year and really love it, Doing a 1/2 marathon in May and the GNR in September

That sounds great - I'm doing my first half marathon in May. I applied for the GNR ballot but didn't get a place. Heard it's an amazing race to be part of.

haven't hit the pavement yet today. Hoping to go to the track after dark. Because of schedule changes I started night runs a month or so ago, and have found I really like it. No one else is on the track, and it is amazingly peaceful.

Started a training plan for a half marathon today - with the aim of beating 2 hours which should be achievable enough. 9 weeks to go!

Did 5 miles today, rest day tomorrow!

Started a training plan for a half marathon today - with the aim of beating 2 hours which should be achievable enough. 9 weeks to go!

Did 5 miles today, rest day tomorrow!

That's awesome.

3 miles today

I don't consider myself a runner but I do run a 10K three times a week. A good friend has been trying to get me to do a half with her. How hard is it to jump from 10K to a half?

I don't consider myself a runner but I do run a 10K three times a week. A good friend has been trying to get me to do a half with her. How hard is it to jump from 10K to a half?
I found 10 was my hurdle, once I could do that then the rest came a lot easier.
Just slowly try and do more and more, I wouldn't recommend trying to jump straight into the half.

But that's just me, it all depends how you handle the 10 you're already doing

I'd echo MidnightDesire and just try and build up a little. I'm sure you can do it given how much you already run, but you'll just need to do it incrementally.

Have a search online for training plans. That would give you a framework.

I don't run much (once a week or so), but me and a friend always discussed the idea of "randomly" bumping into each other while on a run and taking a detour into the woods ;)

We both have fantasies about hot sweaty sex so the idea is a major turn on - ridiculously sweaty bum cheeks on my face, yum.. And running my hand through sweat soaked hair - gosh :p

Back