Minimum wage hike is overwhelmingly positive for workers; neutral for business

BoyNextDoor

I hate liars
In just the 15 years from 2000 through 2014, the federal minimum wage rose three times and 30 states raised their own wage floors an average of five times each to various levels above the federal wage.

The direct and indirect results of all those increases have been thoroughly documented. The impact of raising the minimum wage is one of the most researched topics in economics, with hundreds of studies published.

The documented results of minimum wage increases are overwhelmingly positive for working people and neutral for businesses. There are no significant negative effects on employment, employees’ hours, or numbers of businesses, while prices barely budge and low-income families, especially those headed by women and people of color, are better able to meet their living expenses.

Yet in 2016, news reports of proposed minimum wage increases still routinely include speculation from business lobbyists, restaurant owners, and other opponents on a range of ominous consequences. Such guesswork is unnecessary and uninformed, given the wealth of data that has been accumulated and analyzed.

San Diego and US trends

ALSO: Here is the full list of states that will increase its minimum wage in 2016:

Alaska: $8.75 to $9.75
Arkansas: $7.50 to $8
California: $9 to $10
Colorado: $8.23 to $8.31
Connecticut: $9.15 to $9.60
Hawaii: $7.75 to $8.50
Maryland: $8 to $8.75
Massachusetts: $9 to $10
Michigan: $8.15 to $8.50
Minnesota: $9 to $9.50 (for larger employers) and $7.25 to $7.75 (for smaller companies)
Nebraska: $8 to $9
New York: $8.75 to $9
Rhode Island: $9 to $9.60
South Dakota: $8.50 to $8.55
Vermont: $9.15 to $9.60
West Virginia: $8 to $8.75

Notice anything about these states? Yup - they are by and large, more prosperous, with unemployment below the national average, near the top of median household income, and are among the least federally dependent.

Ask anyone that has made payroll (which means not many if any RWCJ dopes) and they will tell you employee turnover hurts business and turnover reduction is a major focus. Min Wage increases reduce that turnover and pay for themselves just in turnover reduction in many cases, from my professional experience.

When I see a business complain that some regulation is putting them out of business they are running a shitty business to begin with and are failing and they get a convenient scapegoat. Business fail - that is is how the herd gets thinned. Shitty businesses should fail. Shitty owners gripe and point to everywhere but at themselves.

It's neutral for business because the consumer paid. :D

Businesses don't pay taxes, they collect them.

When I see a business complain that some regulation is putting them out of business they are running a shitty business to begin with and are failing and they get a convenient scapegoat. Business fail - that is is how the herd gets thinned. Shitty businesses should fail. Shitty owners gripe and point to everywhere but at themselves.

No...businesses should not fail because some douche like you regulated force of government against them.

That's communism and evil as fuck, like you.

The only reason a business should fail outside of becoming a public threat and having to be put down should be because the market no longer supports it.

I suspect that all those who are against an increase in minimum wage might be directly affected by it (they're businness owners or hold better jobs in private businnesses or something like that).

And that those who are advocating for an increase wouldn't be directly affected, (they work in the public sector, or have low wages or so on).

I wonder if they would change their views if they changed jobs.

I suspect that all those who are against an increase in minimum wage might be directly affected by it (they're businness owners or hold better jobs in private businnesses or something like that).

And that those who are advocating for an increase wouldn't be directly affected, (they work in the public sector, or have low wages or so on).

I wonder if they would change their views if they changed jobs.

It's all greed.....100% all around.

Those that can hustle their own buck up don't want to give it away, those that can't vote the government to go rob those that can at gunpoint.

I also noticed that all of these examples are incremental raises, not the massive immediate jump to $15. Find me some stories about the results of that raise.

It will not go well, there have been news stories about fast food chains installing automated kiosks and robots to cook, perfect examples of cause and effect. The big chains will survive due to automation...small mom & pop restaurants will fold like a deck of cards. Restaurants already have slim profit margins (about 6%) and nine out of ten new restaurants fail in the first year. Doubling the minimum wage will wipe out all but the best mom & pop restaurants and new restaurants being built will plummet due to the reduced profit margin.

Last edited:
It's all greed.....100% all around.

Those that can hustle their own buck up don't want to give it away, those that can't vote the government to go rob those that can at gunpoint.

I didn't intend to be judgmental especially since the rationale or economic side of it elludes me. Plus these are nothing more than online intellectual exercises, so to soeak.
But in a rare moment of self- reflection and honesty, it just struck me:

Personally, I'm for an increase in minimum wage and I perceive those who oppose a decent standard of living for so many to be a bit callous.
But tbh, if that would affect me let's say cost me 10.000$ a year, I would definitely not be happy about an increase in minimum wage.

Same goes for those who aggressively support an increase in reffugees influx in Europe:
They think in terms of saving lives even if it means impoverishing other peopl.
The money that EU allocates to support them comes from taxes imposed on the little guy, not on corporations. And Europe is in economic decline already, and has a limitted capacity.

And those who support a continuing open door policy either are europeans with decent wages, or as americans are in no way affected. I wonder if they would become less generous if they were europeans who could barely make ends meet, and were negatively affected.

Last edited:
No, they don't.

Consumers pay 100% of a businesses taxes up front before boss man gets a penny.

Every sale, every year.

^^^ This might be the stupidest post I've read all month, and I've read both AJ and Conager.

Shake
My
Head

^^^ This might be the stupidest post I've read all month, and I've read both AJ and Conager.

Shake
My
Head

THAT'S STUPID!!

*Doesn't explain how and just runs off*

Good job Rob!! You're a special boy.....

Do tell Rob, what taxes does a business pay that the consumer doesn't ultimately have to cover? :confused:

Other than counterfeiting of course...because illegal.

Last edited:
The article says several times the positive effects have been documented.

Where?

In just the 15 years from 2000 through 2014, the federal minimum wage rose three times and 30 states raised their own wage floors an average of five times each to various levels above the federal wage.

The direct and indirect results of all those increases have been thoroughly documented. The impact of raising the minimum wage is one of the most researched topics in economics, with hundreds of studies published.

The documented results of minimum wage increases are overwhelmingly positive for working people and neutral for businesses. There are no significant negative effects on employment, employees’ hours, or numbers of businesses, while prices barely budge and low-income families, especially those headed by women and people of color, are better able to meet their living expenses.

Yet in 2016, news reports of proposed minimum wage increases still routinely include speculation from business lobbyists, restaurant owners, and other opponents on a range of ominous consequences. Such guesswork is unnecessary and uninformed, given the wealth of data that has been accumulated and analyzed.

San Diego and US trends

ALSO: Here is the full list of states that will increase its minimum wage in 2016:

Alaska: $8.75 to $9.75
Arkansas: $7.50 to $8
California: $9 to $10
Colorado: $8.23 to $8.31
Connecticut: $9.15 to $9.60
Hawaii: $7.75 to $8.50
Maryland: $8 to $8.75
Massachusetts: $9 to $10
Michigan: $8.15 to $8.50
Minnesota: $9 to $9.50 (for larger employers) and $7.25 to $7.75 (for smaller companies)
Nebraska: $8 to $9
New York: $8.75 to $9
Rhode Island: $9 to $9.60
South Dakota: $8.50 to $8.55
Vermont: $9.15 to $9.60
West Virginia: $8 to $8.75

Notice anything about these states? Yup - they are by and large, more prosperous, with unemployment below the national average, near the top of median household income, and are among the least federally dependent.

Ask anyone that has made payroll (which means not many if any RWCJ dopes) and they will tell you employee turnover hurts business and turnover reduction is a major focus. Min Wage increases reduce that turnover and pay for themselves just in turnover reduction in many cases, from my professional experience.

Here's how neutral it is down in San Diego:

San Diego's new minimum wage already may be killing jobs

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ge-job-losses-restaurants-20170406-story.html

THAT'S STUPID!!

*Doesn't explain how and just runs off*

Good job Rob!! You're a special boy.....

Do tell Rob, what taxes does a business pay that the consumer doesn't ultimately have to cover? :confused:

Other than counterfeiting of course...because illegal.

큰 단어는 당신을 혼란스럽게하기 때문에 나는 작은 단어를 사용합니다.

사업체는 자신의 이익에 대해 세금을 지불하는데, 이는 얻은 금액과 무언가의 구매, 운영 및 / 또는 생산에 소비 된 금액 간의 차이입니다.

소비자가 기업 이익에 세금을 "지불"한다고 주장하는 것은 어리 석다.

큰 단어는 당신을 혼란스럽게하기 때문에 나는 작은 단어를 사용합니다.

사업체는 자신의 이익에 대해 세금을 지불하는데, 이는 얻은 금액과 무언가의 구매, 운영 및 / 또는 생산에 소비 된 금액 간의 차이입니다.

소비자가 기업 이익에 세금을 "지불"한다고 주장하는 것은 어리 석다.

Oh look....the bigot found an online translator. :rolleyes:

Profits come from consumers dumb ass...and you still have to give that tax up first, or you get thrashed.

Companies do not pay taxes, they collect 100% of them from consumers.

Every fucking penny in taxes paid by every corporation/sole proprietor came out of a consumers pocket first. No exceptions.

Last edited:
That is as nonsensical as saying I pay no income tax because I collect 100% of it from my employer.

No it's not.

Without your employer you wouldn't be paying any taxes, and your employer gets all their money they pay you and all the money for your taxes come from your employers consumers.

You are an expense (and in most cases primarily a tax on 2 feet) that your employer has to pay for with money they get from their consumers.

Unless you work for the government you exist in a consumer based economy.

The consumer is where the meat hits the metal....it is the source.

You didn't mention anything about Oregon, my home state, so here's something to consider:

Oregon's minimum wage has been increasing and will continue to increase, from the 2016 statewide rate of $9.25/hr to a 2022 three tier wage (based on location/urbanization) of between $12.50/hr to $14.75/hr. (Link.)

Oregon's current minimum wage of $9.50-$9.75/hr makes it the 9th highest in the nation.* (Link: scroll to 6.2, "List by Jurisdiction: State", then sort 2nd column by descending order.)

And while this has been happening, the unemployment rate has been dropping because businesses are hiring, not firing employees. Businesses continue to come to Oregon; and businesses already here continue to expand their labor force. Oregon's unemployment rate is now 3.8% while the National rate is 4.5%, making it the 10th lowest in the nation.* (Link and link.)

* Note that these numbers (particularly State unemployment rates) fluctuate quickly; and some of them are very close to one another, meaning that even a small jump in percentage can make a large jump in rankings. So while some of my rankings above might be off by one or two by the time you read this, the message is clear.)

Businesses Don’t Pay Taxes – People Do

The United States is home to nearly 28 million businesses – about one for every 12 Americans. Some are large enterprises, but the vast majority are small businesses – and many times have just one employee – the owner. Still, political rhetoric frequently leads to a disconnect between the business as an entity, and the person or people behind them.

The truth of the matter is this: When government taxes a business, there is nothing that business can do but pass that tax burden on to individuals, in one form or another. Hardworking individual taxpayers pay the true burden of business taxes. This hidden tax shift happens in three ways. The first to pay are the employees – people who do not get that raise or end of the year bonus – or perhaps even lose their jobs. Next are the millions of Americans who have investments in businesses — people who earn a lower return for their retirement in their 401(k). Finally, American consumers pay more as a result of higher business taxes, since taxes get passed along in the form of higher prices. Hiking business taxes leads to higher prices at the gas pump, a larger bill at the grocery store and less disposable income.

https://www.alec.org/article/businesses-dont-pay-taxes-people-do/

It's neutral for business because the consumer paid. :D

Businesses don't pay taxes, they collect them.

No...businesses should not fail because some douche like you regulated force of government against them.

That's communism and evil as fuck, like you.

The only reason a business should fail outside of becoming a public threat and having to be put down should be because the market no longer supports it.

Yes they should. Precisely because it is not the regulation you dumb as stone, broken record, myopic fuck. They are mismanaged and they is why they fail.

Whah - whah - whah. Get a new shtick.

McDonald's Unveils Job-Replacing Self-Service Kiosks Nationwide

As the labor union-backed Fight for $15 begins yet another nationwide strike on November 29, I have a simple message for the protest organizers and the reporters covering them: I told you so.

It brings me no joy to write these words. The push for a $15 starter wage has negatively impacted the career prospects of employees who were just getting started in the workforce while extinguishing the businesses that employed them. I wish it were not so. But it’s important to document these consequences, lest policymakers elsewhere decide that the $15 movement is worth embracing.

Let’s start with automation. In 2013, when the Fight for $15 was still in its growth stage, I and others warned that union demands for a much higher minimum wage would force businesses with small profit margins to replace full-service employees with costly investments in self-service alternatives. At the time, labor groups accused business owners of crying wolf. It turns out the wolf was real.

Earlier this month, McDonald’s announced the nationwide roll-out of touchscreen self-service kiosks. In a video the company released to showcase the new customer experience, it’s striking to see employees who once would have managed a cash register now reduced to monitoring a customer’s choices at an iPad-style kiosk.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realsp...-self-service-kiosks-nationwide/#9f86f6f4fbc6

Back