Mental Illness

I am sorry for you. Mental illness is hard. Exhausting. Is she bipolar or borderline? I only ask. No judging?

It's *so* good to read that. I haven't spoken to my highly toxic, damaging mother for 5 years.

Just coming up to a year with mine, after a spectacularly mental and nasty letter. Me being in her life wasn't doing her any good, and was doing me a lot of damage. So the only way anything less than toxic was going to happen was by me pulling out.

Very sad, but very necessary.

So I should probably do something legal to make sure I can get info and protect my now adult child when she is having an episode. Not sure what or how, does anyone here have insight into this sort of thing?

:rose:

You might look into an advanced directive. It can help sometimes when it comes to her deciding her own care and potentially allowing you to make decisions for her when she is not able to. Not sure of the legality for your area. Nami.org has some decent info on it.

Thanks!

You might look into an advanced directive. It can help sometimes when it comes to her deciding her own care and potentially allowing you to make decisions for her when she is not able to. Not sure of the legality for your area. Nami.org has some decent info on it.

FurryFury, I read a bit about your daughter. You can request that her counselor or psychiatrist have a psychiatric order in place. She would then have to give authorization to someone to determine the course of treatment best for her if she goes through an episode/ends up in the ER. It is a directive and no different than any other health directive. Getting her doctor to advise her on one would probably give her the control she wants to do it, instead of thinking she has to do it because Mom says so... just a little reverse psychology there.
It's tough.

I like that idea. Thanks!

FurryFury, I read a bit about your daughter. You can request that her counselor or psychiatrist have a psychiatric order in place. She would then have to give authorization to someone to determine the course of treatment best for her if she goes through an episode/ends up in the ER. It is a directive and no different than any other health directive. Getting her doctor to advise her on one would probably give her the control she wants to do it, instead of thinking she has to do it because Mom says so... just a little reverse psychology there.
It's tough.

Btw, she is doing well and has a temporary seasonal job that she loves right now!

The kids are doing just fine--my daughter is doing fantastic, son is a little stressed but not depressed so all is well.

I, however, feel like I am drowning, weary, and overwhelmed with sadness. There is no reason. It's been coming on the last week or so. Even therapy didn't help this morning. The few people I lean on are either unavailable or are too overwhelmed with their own issues.

Besides what do I want them to do? There is nothing wrong and not a single thing they could do about it. I somehow have to pull myself out of this.

I hate, hate, hate feeling like this.

:mad:

Last edited:
The kids are doing just fine--my daughter is doing fantastic, son is a little stressed but not depressed so all is well.

I, however, feel like I am drowning, weary, and overwhelmed with sadness. There is no reason. It's been coming on the last week or so. Even therapy didn't help this morning. The few people I lean on are either unavailable or are too overwhelmed with their own issues.

Besides what do I want them to do? There is nothing wrong and not a single thing they cold do about it. I somehow have to pull myself out of this.

I'm glad your kids are doing well, but I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time. :(

Do you think it has something to do with the changing of the seasons? Fall and winter are particularly hard for me, and I know I'm not the only one.

Hope you feel better soon! :rose:

I'm glad your kids are doing well, but I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time. :(

Do you think it has something to do with the changing of the seasons? Fall and winter are particularly hard for me, and I know I'm not the only one.

Hope you feel better soon! :rose:

Thanks! Part of it is the time of year. I do feel a little better now after a light discussion of life with my son over dinner. I do like his way of thinking. :)

Besides what do I want them to do? There is nothing wrong and not a single thing they cold do about it. I somehow have to pull myself out of this.

Harrumph! How many times have I warned you that being a Red Sox fan will eventually drain you of all life force and leave you envying the excitement that Brussels sprouts enjoy? Will you never learn?

Harrumph! How many times have I warned you that being a Red Sox fan will eventually drain you of all life force and leave you envying the excitement that Brussels sprouts enjoy? Will you never learn?

Hahahaha As long as I don't have to wait 86 years I think I'll be okay. Thanks for making me smile :)

Thanks! Part of it is the time of year. I do feel a little better now after a light discussion of life with my son over dinner. I do like his way of thinking. :)

Awesome! :)

Also, you may have already tried this, but light boxes seem to help me through the ickier parts of the year.

*HUGS*

I have found myself there a few times. Of course your "there" may differ but I find when I give to me it helps. A movie, a book, holiday music, extra sleep, exercising all that helps.

FF

Btw, my son who is normally no problem recently started a job I found for him. It's a good opportunity for a full time job within a year with benefits. He started having panic attacks and being sick a good bit. Yikes!

My girl is doing well.

My mother is not.

I am not ready for the holidays. I don't want the holidays. I'm too busy working. LOL

Besides what do I want them to do? There is nothing wrong and not a single thing they could do about it. I somehow have to pull myself out of this.

I have been clinically depressed--at least with a diagnosis--for about 10 years, which is coupled with PTSD and suicidal ideation.

Kind of had the perfect environmental and genetic cocktail for that, childhood poverty, physically and emotionally abusive parents, most of the members of the family--including me--suffering from serious chronic illnesses, and a family history of mental illness and related issues on both sides of the family.

Right now, I think I'm navigating the end of a relationship with someone who appears to have some sort of undiagnosed or untreated mild or early form of a schizophrenia-like disorder. (She's educated but the syntax in her writing can sometimes be jumbled to the point of incoherence, she has mood swings, lies frequently and doesn't seem to know it, social problems, etc.)

So, mental health issues, relationships, and how those things relate to each other have been on my mind lately.

Right now, I think I'm navigating the end of a relationship with someone who appears to have some sort of undiagnosed or untreated mild or early form of a schizophrenia-like disorder. (She's educated but the syntax in her writing can sometimes be jumbled to the point of incoherence, she has mood swings, lies frequently and doesn't seem to know it, social problems, etc.)

Is she paranoid? Paranoia is one of the bigger issues with Schizophrenia.

I'm dealing with a sociopath exhusband. Jerk has pulled me into court so many times I quit counting. Each time, he has committed perjury. This time - he has requested my son be removed pendente lite (during litigation) from my home.

I cannot wait to cremate him in court. The last time, I cremated him, he just didn't get it. He literally made NO money requesting the whole litigation avenue for a reduction in child support.

I know that I am dealing with a monster. If someone has a way I can lock him up in a cage and throw away the key, I'm opened to it.

*hugs* Sorry you are going through this. Sadly I hear this a great deal from other women and even from some men. I went through it some and I will say it gets better with time.

I'm dealing with a sociopath exhusband. Jerk has pulled me into court so many times I quit counting. Each time, he has committed perjury. This time - he has requested my son be removed pendente lite (during litigation) from my home.

I cannot wait to cremate him in court. The last time, I cremated him, he just didn't get it. He literally made NO money requesting the whole litigation avenue for a reduction in child support.

I know that I am dealing with a monster. If someone has a way I can lock him up in a cage and throw away the key, I'm opened to it.

Is she paranoid? Paranoia is one of the bigger issues with Schizophrenia.

The one thing that she does that screams 'paranoid' is that she suffers from a kind of morbid jealousy, which she claims flows from knowing I was really into casual sex at some point. (Basically, any time I so much as return a 'hello' to a woman, she thinks I want to fuck her and constantly accuses me of cheating.)

The thing that makes that especially hard to take is she herself does things that actually reasonable raise the 'she may be cheating' red flag--goes on long distance or overnight trips with other men without telling me, is secretive to a weird degree for a person in a committed relationship, does these things while asking for "space," etc--and never has the reaction of wanting to reassure me when I bring these things up. She always responds with anger and then turning it around on me saying I have trust issues.

On top of the lying, the paranoia, and the strongly suspected cheating, she engages in a lot of other manipulative behaviors, denies this, and accuses me of being "controlling" when I point this kind of behavior out.

People often project what they do onto you. *hugs*

The one thing that she does that screams 'paranoid' is that she suffers from a kind of morbid jealousy, which she claims flows from knowing I was really into casual sex at some point. (Basically, any time I so much as return a 'hello' to a woman, she thinks I want to fuck her and constantly accuses me of cheating.)

The thing that makes that especially hard to take is she herself does things that actually reasonable raise the 'she may be cheating' red flag--goes on long distance or overnight trips with other men without telling me, is secretive to a weird degree for a person in a committed relationship, does these things while asking for "space," etc--and never has the reaction of wanting to reassure me when I bring these things up. She always responds with anger and then turning it around on me saying I have trust issues.

On top of the lying, the paranoia, and the strongly suspected cheating, she engages in a lot of other manipulative behaviors, denies this, and accuses me of being "controlling" when I point this kind of behavior out.

Back