Male Authors -- Female Characters

Greg Lee Hunt

Really Experienced
For me the female characters in erotic stories are always more important than the male characters. I prefer writing and definitely reading about them. Obviously, I want women to do more than just open their thighs or their mouths. I want female characters to be complex, creative, and clever, and most of all female characters who will 'fuck you with their minds'. I'm not always sure about the best way to get inside my female character's head and to convey their personalities to readers so that the seem believable (particularly to women readers). Any thoughts about how a male author can get it right?. I'd really appreciate input from some of the 'regulars' on this topic.
smile.gif
redface.gif

Write them as if they were men. Seriously. Men often write women badly, because they're so often created merely to support the male characters, and are never given an inner life or journey of their own. Most male writers think women don't have the same smarts, lusts, and foibles as men -- but they do.

Think "guy", add a pussy, and go from there.

When I write about a male character, I might base him on someone that I know and go from there, it helps, it may be a technique that helpful to you, when you start writing about a female, think of someone that you know, and you don't have to make a carbon copy of that person, but use that as your source and go from there.

I don't think you have much problem with that. I have just gotten through with your last two stories and found them really fun to read. No dialogue, just narrative. 1st person. I am not much into the degradation scene, but the mind games came across very credible. Nice job.... Your Doctor came across as very believable and complex. Do you plan on doing some writing with the dialogue included?

Originally posted by gary1:
I don't think you have much problem with that. I have just gotten through with your last two stories and found them really fun to read. No dialogue, just narrative. 1st person. I am not much into the degradation scene, but the mind games came across very credible. Nice job.... Your Doctor came across as very believable and complex. Do you plan on doing some writing with the dialogue included?

Thanks for the feedback gary1. Yes! I plan to write some pieces with dialogue. I've already submitted a story to Laurel that is almost all dialogue. The Title is "Talk Dirty to Me -- part 1 Cathy's Fantasy". It is the re-creation of an imaginary erotic telephone conversation between a man and his wife's best friend. If it goes well I plan to continue it. Also, there are additional chapters of "My Three Mistress' -- Darlene's Story" that will have more dialogue, I'll be introducing some new characters.

I'm glad you liked the Dr. DuPree character. I've got some ideas about bringing her back in future stories but they are only in an incipient stage. You'd probably like the lady that inspired her character too. That story was a real turn on for me to write.

Originally posted by *Eve*:
When I write about a male character, I might base him on someone that I know and go from there, it helps, it may be a technique that helpful to you, when you start writing about a female, think of someone that you know, and you don't have to make a carbon copy of that person, but use that as your source and go from there.

Thanks *Eve*. I only wish I knew more women like the one's I write about. I base my characters on people that I know but I'm not certain they'd ever think or behave like I portray them ... it's all guesswork on my part.

Originally posted by Dixon Carter Lee:
Write them as if they were men. Seriously. Men often write women badly, because they're so often created merely to support the male characters, and are never given an inner life or journey of their own. Most male writers think women don't have the same smarts, lusts, and foibles as men -- but they do.

Think "guy", add a pussy, and go from there.

Thanks for the recommendation Dixon. I'll try that in the future.

Hi there!
I don't know how much relevance this has but this thread reminded me of an email I got concerning a story I wrote called Still Love. In this story, the first person is male and I obviously aint! Thee email suggested that this wasn't a good thing to do as when the reader read my name <crystal> they were thrown by the story coming from a male perspective. I don't know if this would apply to a male author writing as a woman or not but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
smile.gif

Love
Crystal
xx

Originally posted by crystal:
Hi there!
I don't know how much relevance this has but this thread reminded me of an email I got concerning a story I wrote called Still Love. In this story, the first person is male and I obviously aint! Thee email suggested that this wasn't a good thing to do as when the reader read my name <crystal> they were thrown by the story coming from a male perspective. I don't know if this would apply to a male author writing as a woman or not but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
smile.gif

xx

I've never written a story from a woman's perspective, but it sounds like a terrific idea. I'm all
smile.gif
smile.gif
! Thanks crystal and xxx back to you.

Greg

Greg, I have the exact opposite concern as you. I'm a female who attempted to write from the male's POV. (Oddly enough, before reading your post, I started a POV topic in the Author's Hangout today, but haven't seen any replies yet.) If you like, I'd be willing to read your stories before you send them to Laurel and let you know if the female perspective seems true to life. Maybe you'd like to do the same for me. I found it especially difficult to write about the physical feelings my male character was experiencing. I used my imagination, but would appreciate a guy's input.

Back