Local Cravings

But if you happen to be in Reno when those festivities aren't happening, then Louie's Basque Hotel is the place!

Oh yeah, competing with the Santa Fe. I tip my hat to your good taste.

There're some here that travel back and forth across northern Nevada, from Reno to Elko, just to find good Basque food.

Don't be a stranger if you find your way back...
 
When my brother was a poor hippie he lived in the Mission in San Francisco, and used to take me to these great, cheap burrito joints. Now he's "made it" and lives the good life in Beverly Hills, he takes me to these stupid, up-market, pretentious, L-A-bullshit "Mexican" restaurants, with thse passive-aggresive obsequious waiters I can't stand. The food sucks too.

So we go down to Pico, and get some funky carne asada burritos. My treat.

Call me an inverted snob, but to me great mexican food HAS to be cheap and cheerful. And the HOTTER the fuckin' salsa, the better. Even if it makes me stain the leather seat of my brother's Posche with my squirting liquid farts on the way home

Inverted snob.
 
Serious Questions: Is there a food that Kansas is famous for? Also, can I expect good fried chicken in Kentucky ?

On my last cross-country trip through middle America I ate mostly steak meals in the evening, and bacon/egg/hash brown breakfasts. All very tasty (and quite a treat compared with the awful steaks and bacon here), but it got a little boring after a few days.

Kansas City barbecue. Try Arthur Bryant's downtown, near the Jazz Museum.

Ky. fried chicken is much like any in the South. I mean, they do it.
 
Kansas City barbecue. Try Arthur Bryant's downtown, near the Jazz Museum.

Ky. fried chicken is much like any in the South. I mean, they do it.

And when you're at Arthur's, tip the sandwich guy a buck or so and he'll pile an extra inch or two of meat on your sandwich.
 
Oh yeah, competing with the Santa Fe. I tip my hat to your good taste.

There're some here that travel back and forth across northern Nevada, from Reno to Elko, just to find good Basque food.

Don't be a stranger if you find your way back...

Best chance for a return to Reno will be next January for the Safari Club Convention. Didn't go this year and might not again next, but there will come another time.
 
I completely forgot one of the best. It's that bakery halfway to Julian on Hwy. 78. They have the freakin BEST cream cheese and strawberry filled tarts in the WORLD!
 
I completely forgot one of the best. It's that bakery halfway to Julian on Hwy. 78. They have the freakin BEST cream cheese and strawberry filled tarts in the WORLD!

Dudley's. Awesome breads, too. :D
 
I miss In 'N' Out Burger so very much...

Used to have one right across the street from where I lived.

I wasn't so impressed, but maybe it was the store. Cook Out, on the east coast, is way better to me.

Serious Questions: ...Also, can I expect good fried chicken in Kentucky ?

Some fast food fried chicken is actually pretty good: KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken), Hardees, Bojangles (spicy).

If you do find yourself near Paducah, KY you must stop by Starnes for barbecue. Try their hot sauce too.

If you get by Memphis, TN, try the Rendezvous for some dry barbecue and then watch the ducks at the Peabody Hotel - they swim in a fountain and at a certain time parade to the elevator to go to their pens on the roof.

In Memphis I used to love Pappy and Jimmy's for some oysters and beer, though the 50s atmosphere and beehive haired waitress was probably the best thing.

And Lambert's in Sikeston, Missouri is a hoot. I ate at the original - good home cooking, they came around and kept filling the plate, catch a throwed roll from the kitchen and patriotic march music from a tinny speaker. Awesome. Don't know if they still use shitty speakers.


Call me an inverted snob, but to me great mexican food HAS to be cheap and cheerful. And the HOTTER the fuckin' salsa, the better. Even if it makes me stain the leather seat of my brother's Posche with my squirting liquid farts on the way home

Stop by a grocery store and pick up some tortilla chips (I favor Garden of Eatin Blue Chips) and Green Mountain Gringo salsa...you'll want Hot. It has spoiled me, though not fire breathing hot, seems hotter than most like.
 
And Lambert's in Sikeston, Missouri is a hoot. I ate at the original - good home cooking, they came around and kept filling the plate, catch a throwed roll from the kitchen and patriotic march music from a tinny speaker. Awesome. Don't know if they still use shitty speakers.
Mmm, we always go to Lambert's on the way back from vacation. Though the term "throwed rolls" always disturbs me. :rolleyes: But, then again, I suppose "thrown rolls" sounds too formal.
 
Mmm, we always go to Lambert's on the way back from vacation. Though the term "throwed rolls" always disturbs me. :rolleyes: But, then again, I suppose "thrown rolls" sounds too formal.

Whenever I hear about Lambert's, I'm reminded of the tossed salads in one of the Muppet Movies. ;)
 
Back
Top