Local Cravings

A place called Sweet Potatoes in Savannah does the only banana pudding I've ever liked. And collard greens all tarted up with lemon juice.

I'm really really hungry now and have boring cold cuts in the fridge. Torture.

Believe it or not, the secret to great banana pudding is sour cream. :)

eta: do I need to come cook for you?
 
Last edited:
Sorry, but the ONLY place to get real Barbecue is Memphis.:)

The Rendezvous is a great one if you like it dry. And any number of places otherwise.

But the best barbecue I have ever had is from Starnes in Paducah, Ky.
 
I want recommendations for Charolette, NC. I'll be there in April and need some places to take friends.
 
Sorry, not local but I crave it on a near daily basis. Doner Burgers. Can't get it here in southern Florida. (If you've had it you know why I crave it.)

As for BBQ I make my own. Texas style dry BBQ with my own heavily garliced twist. (PLenty of Garlic, Onion and Chipotle in the seasoning befor smoking.) I have the managers from more than one BBQ place calling me for my recipe.

Cat
 
For a sandwich to die for, Primanti Brothers in Pittsburgh, Pa, and for French toast also to die for, Tower Cafe in Sacramento, Ca. :D
 
MISTY MORNING

The best barbecue on Planet Earth is at a place called Jay-Birds in Lakeland. Its on US 98. I drive 70 miles to eat it.

LOCAL FOOD

Greek Salad and Devilled Crabs and Smoked Mullet
 
Hmm, where to start. Anything in a bakery, especially the brotchen. Doner kebabs, really good dark chocolate, schnitzel, locally produced wine and beer, Italian style pizza.
 
Barbecue? Pierce's Pit Bar B Que, outside Williamsburg, Virginia (and Southern Living agreed--and, yes, they spelled it that way; didn't check for a high school diploma on their sign painter).
 
In my neck of the woods....Rockin Baja is the closest, but is technically in San Diego.

I miss living near Sonic's in AZ cause they rock. Closest one here is a solid hour plus drive each way, but usually hit the one near the strip in Vegas when I go. Speaking of Vegas; Four Kegs is great as is Caine's.

In Cincinnati, Graeters Ice Cream is awesome. Skyline Chili was pretty good as well. Popular with the locals at least. Graeters is elsewhere in the region as well but I think Skyline is specific to Cinci.

From back home (NY) I REALLY miss Hoffman's hot dogs and coneys (white hots). I might have found a place near-ish to here to get them either in a restaurant or in 10 pound packages. Something I plan on doing for my birthday if nothing else as they have always been quite popular around here. :D They do actually deliver for any displaced NYers out there: http://www.hofmannsausage.com/home/

Ooh, edit to add this sweet BBQ place in Oakhurst (Yosemite area); Todd's Cookhouse BBQ. Very good BBQ, and their hush puppies are also good.
 
Barbecue. You have to get to San Antonio for what I think is the best and that's Rudy's, and not just any of the Rudy's. Yuk! Has to be the original outside of town. If you ever go to SA, it's worth the car rental and nav to get you there. Go very hungry.

Yep. Leon Springs, on Boerne Stage Road. Damn good stuff. Serve it to you on butcher paper. :D

Another good local treat is Chacho's. Take five of your hungriest friends and try to finish a plate of Monster Kong Nachos. I dare ya. :p But don't get the margaritas. They make them with white wine, not tequila.

Fiesta in San Antonio (about to start here in a couple weeks) is also a great time to sample some local flavors. Spend a few nights at NIOSA (Night In Old San Antonio) and hit the St. Mary's Oysterbake.

Then stop by the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, Texas for some damn good beer and live music. ;)
 
I have heard a few people mention Barbeque but i happen to believe us Australians do the bbq best.

If your ever in town the best thing to try is sitting out the back on a warm afternoon with a beer and medium rare locally butchered rib eye steak. Pity about the mosquitoes really...
 
Hmm, where to start. Anything in a bakery, especially the brötchen. Döner kebabs, really good dark chocolate, schnitzel, locally produced wine and beer, Italian style pizza.

Yes.

That is all.

:heart:

(fixed your post :D)





(I'm not "local" enough in Milwaukee yet to know anything about the local good food here... however, I'm a huge fan of Spotted Cow. Does that count?)
 
Yes.

That is all.

:heart:

(fixed your post :D)





(I'm not "local" enough in Milwaukee yet to know anything about the local good food here... however, I'm a huge fan of Spotted Cow. Does that count?)

Ooo, Milwaukee. Check out Judy's Red Hots. ;) Just be careful when you go there. You might need an armed escort.

The Chancery is another good place. I used to work at the one in Mequon. It's a local chain, casual dining, but at a slightly higher scale than any Chili's or Applebee's.
 
Ooo, Milwaukee. Check out Judy's Red Hots. ;) Just be careful when you go there. You might need an armed escort.

The Chancery is another good place. I used to work at the one in Mequon. It's a local chain, casual dining, but at a slightly higher scale than any Chili's or Applebee's.

Check your PMs. ;)
 
There is a seafood restaurant called Mahi Mah's in VA Beach, on the oceanfront. Damned good seafood for actually reasonable prices. One of the things in the Navy you learn, when visiting ports, go where the locals go. This place...well Dad came down during February, aka the offseason, and on a Tues night was surprised to learn by 6:30 that there was an hour and fifteen minute wait, just because all the local businessmen liked to come there and wind down. They're heavy into pairing wines, have a large selection of them and even hold a night once a week with the spirit of tasting wines. Combine that, with having real sushi on hand.

Isle of Capri is another place I'd recommend. Its an Italian restaurant, on the oceanfront. The service was outstanding, and rather traditional, and the food? Outstanding...
 
Iowa. Cornfed. Beef. Around here, if you know a farmer that you're friendly with you can go pick your cow when they start to butcher them. I'm not really into the whole organic food thing (for lots of reasons, let's not start) but there really is something about an organicly grown Black Angus that's lived primarily off field corn for its entire life.

Otherwise, for distinct places, that would have to be Great Plains Sauce and Dough in Ames, IA. If you're a local or a college kid at Iowa State, go.

http://www.greatplainspizza.com/main.html

The only thing that would make them better is if they had "90 Shilling" on tap, but as near as I can tell the Ft. Collins based brewery won't ship out to Iowa.
 
I'm in Kent.

Local delicacies: Oysters (Whitstable Natives) and Dover Sole; Apples, cider, apple juice all made from varieties that are rarely seen anywhere else.

Shepherd Neame Beer.

Og
 
I'm afraid Hatch Chile and Mutton Stew is the about the only unique food we have around here - the local Rattlesnake isn't bad with a little sage rub and bit of wild onion, but you have to catch your own. :eek:

Used to get the best Red Chile down at the Pancake Alley, a local diner owned by a Greek family, but Cisco, the chef, retired and went back to Chihuahua somewhere, and it's just not the same.
 
St. Louis/Metro East:
Imo's Pizza
Ted Drewe's Frozen Custard(Fox Treat, OMG!)
toasted ravioli
Steak and Shake(steakburger with cheese)
Italian food on The Hill
pepperloin
BBQ Pork steaks, corn on the cob, and potato salad
fried catfish fritters and hushpuppies
church picnic turtle soup, roast beef, and homemade peach pie
breaded and fried morrel mushrooms
Busch Stadium brats and a big cold BUD.

Okay, I'm starving now and I think I gained 20 pounds just writing this. :eek:
 
St. Louis/Metro East:
Imo's Pizza
Ted Drewe's Frozen Custard(Fox Treat, OMG!)
toasted ravioli
Steak and Shake(steakburger with cheese)
Italian food on The Hill
pepperloin
BBQ Pork steaks, corn on the cob, and potato salad
fried catfish fritters and hushpuppies
church picnic turtle soup, roast beef, and homemade peach pie
breaded and fried morrel mushrooms
Busch Stadium brats and a big cold BUD.

Okay, I'm starving now and I think I gained 20 pounds just writing this. :eek:

I will add an endorsement of Ted Drewe's, especially the shake called a Concrete. Italian on the Hill is as good as you can get anywhere in the U. S. and fried ravioli is much better than it sounds - and it sounds very good. :D
 
Back
Top