Local Cravings

Breakfast:
A cheeseburger omelette from Janes Country Kitchen in Lemon Grove. With caliente salsa made fresh. They make them in mini, sm, med, lrg and XL. I can barely finish a medium.

or

A deluxe fritatta from Perry's Breakfast House on Pacific Highway. Again, with fresh salsa, hash browns and a blueberry muffin.

lunch or dinner:

A carne asada burrito from any taco shop ending in "os." Robertos, Hilbertos, Lolitos. For me, solo queso. But most like them with pico de gallo and guac.

A Double Double animal style no tomatoes at In N' Out Burger.

Fish & Chips and a Guinness at The Field on Fifth in the Gaslamp. Bordeaux Braised Short Ribs at Croce's.

Leave room so we can go to Karen Krasne Extraordinary Desserts in Little Italy.
 
Breakfast:
A cheeseburger omelette from Janes Country Kitchen in Lemon Grove. With caliente salsa made fresh. They make them in mini, sm, med, lrg and XL. I can barely finish a medium.

or

A deluxe fritatta from Perry's Breakfast House on Pacific Highway. Again, with fresh salsa, hash browns and a blueberry muffin.

lunch or dinner:

A carne asada burrito from any taco shop ending in "os." Robertos, Hilbertos, Lolitos. For me, solo queso. But most like them with pico de gallo and guac.

A Double Double animal style no tomatoes at In N' Out Burger.

Fish & Chips and a Guinness at The Field on Fifth in the Gaslamp. Bordeaux Braised Short Ribs at Croce's.

Leave room so we can go to Karen Krasne Extraordinary Desserts in Little Italy.

I miss In 'N' Out Burger so very much...

Used to have one right across the street from where I lived.
 
Breakfast:
A cheeseburger omelette from Janes Country Kitchen in Lemon Grove. With caliente salsa made fresh. They make them in mini, sm, med, lrg and XL. I can barely finish a medium.

or

A deluxe fritatta from Perry's Breakfast House on Pacific Highway. Again, with fresh salsa, hash browns and a blueberry muffin.

lunch or dinner:

A carne asada burrito from any taco shop ending in "os." Robertos, Hilbertos, Lolitos. For me, solo queso. But most like them with pico de gallo and guac.

A Double Double animal style no tomatoes at In N' Out Burger.

Fish & Chips and a Guinness at The Field on Fifth in the Gaslamp. Bordeaux Braised Short Ribs at Croce's.

Leave room so we can go to Karen Krasne Extraordinary Desserts in Little Italy.

This sounds like a Roadfood day. :D
 
Breakfast:
A cheeseburger omelette from Janes Country Kitchen in Lemon Grove. With caliente salsa made fresh. They make them in mini, sm, med, lrg and XL. I can barely finish a medium.

or

A deluxe fritatta from Perry's Breakfast House on Pacific Highway. Again, with fresh salsa, hash browns and a blueberry muffin.

lunch or dinner:

A carne asada burrito from any taco shop ending in "os." Robertos, Hilbertos, Lolitos. For me, solo queso. But most like them with pico de gallo and guac.

A Double Double animal style no tomatoes at In N' Out Burger.

Fish & Chips and a Guinness at The Field on Fifth in the Gaslamp. Bordeaux Braised Short Ribs at Croce's.

Leave room so we can go to Karen Krasne Extraordinary Desserts in Little Italy.

Dead on Bel. The only change is that at Croce's you ALSO gotta have the French onion soup followed by the duck and risotto. There also is that little Texas style barbeque place off of Mir Mar Rd. that makes KILLER shreaded pork sandwiches. Oh, and Mud Pie at the PB Bar and Grill... and... and... and... :D (by rights I should weigh 300 lbs... :eek:)
 
Sweet tea doesn't have lemon.

And I think in the south it's overbrewed to the point of bitter and then the counterpoint to that is the sugar. It's unbelievably fucking strong, so in the northeast, it's weaker and lemonier, resulting in an entirely different thing.

Yes, exactly. We like our tea just like our women - STRONG. :)
 
Detroit?

Better Made Potato Chips

Everything in Greek Town

Buddy's Pizza

Superior Fish

Priya's (Indian food)

Beans N Cornbread (soul food)

I miss Better Made Potato Chips!
Really Local Elk Grove Village IL. Munchies Deep Dish Pizza!
 
Dead on Bel. The only change is that at Croce's you ALSO gotta have the French onion soup followed by the duck and risotto. There also is that little Texas style barbeque place off of Mir Mar Rd. that makes KILLER shreaded pork sandwiches. Oh, and Mud Pie at the PB Bar and Grill... and... and... and... :D (by rights I should weigh 300 lbs... :eek:)
You are so right about the French Onion soup.

Oh damn! and how could I have missed Fish Tacos? I'm a Rubio's guy, but the Brigantine also has awesome ones.

For BBQ in San Diego, I would go with Phils BBQ in Hillcrest. Bronx Pizza is near there, also. And the Corvette Diner. And Khyber Pass.

Wow. Really missing the diversity of San Diego eats all of a sudden. I've found a couple places here that I like, but I don't have the years of familiarity that constitute a "locals only" level knowledge, not by any means...
 
Indeed, if it doesn't put hair on your chest, it's weaksauce. ;)

Okay now you have to PROVE that you have hair on your chest. PM me the neked pictures and I'll impartially confirm it... :D

(a few of Cloudy's ass would be much appreciated as well... ;) )
 
Damn! Is the Khyber Pass still open? I ate there years ago when the Army decided they needed me in SD. Afghan cuisine. Right on!
 
I listened to BBC coverage of the G 20 summit on the radio this morning, which competed with a segment about how immigration restrictions have resulted in a shortage of good Curry chefs - which is causing a lot of distress, since Curry is apparently now England's favorite food.
 
Damn! Is the Khyber Pass still open? I ate there years ago when the Army decided they needed me in SD. Afghan cuisine. Right on!

I don't recall the name of the place any longer, but I ate at a fine Afghan place in or around Sunnyvale a few years ago.
 
Serious Questions: Is there a food that Kansas is famous for? Also, can I expect good fried chicken in Kentucky ?

On my last cross-country trip through middle America I ate mostly steak meals in the evening, and bacon/egg/hash brown breakfasts. All very tasty (and quite a treat compared with the awful steaks and bacon here), but it got a little boring after a few days.
 
Serious Questions: Is there a food that Kansas is famous for? Also, can I expect good fried chicken in Kentucky ?

On my last cross-country trip through middle America I ate mostly steak meals in the evening, and bacon/egg/hash brown breakfasts. All very tasty (and quite a treat compared with the awful steaks and bacon here), but it got a little boring after a few days.

Kansas is famous for barbecue.
 
Serious Questions: Is there a food that Kansas is famous for? Also, can I expect good fried chicken in Kentucky ?

On my last cross-country trip through middle America I ate mostly steak meals in the evening, and bacon/egg/hash brown breakfasts. All very tasty (and quite a treat compared with the awful steaks and bacon here), but it got a little boring after a few days.

The Kansas City strip is the rarest cut of meat on the loin, if I recall correctly. They're rather hard to find outside of Kansas.
 
Also, can I expect good fried chicken in Kentucky?

I'm not sure. Though most consider Kentucky "southern," they really aren't - not in the strictest sense. Too close to the Mason-Dixon Line, I suppose.

While in the south, make sure you have biscuits and sausage gravy for breakfast. It's even better with a slice of tomato. Yummy.
 
A carne asada burrito from any taco shop ending in "os." Robertos, Hilbertos, Lolitos. For me, solo queso. But most like them with pico de gallo and guac.

DAMMIT, BEL! I've been thinking about a carne asada burrito since you posted! It's not even 11:00 here, but mine will be ready for pickup in 15 minutes from Albertos (they just finished making fresh guac too!) W00t! Be thinking of you while I make a pig outta myself eating that freakin thing! :D
 
DAMMIT, BEL! I've been thinking about a carne asada burrito since you posted! It's not even 11:00 here, but mine will be ready for pickup in 15 minutes from Albertos (they just finished making fresh guac too!) W00t! Be thinking of you while I make a pig outta myself eating that freakin thing! :D

I arrive tomorrow night to take my kids to Padres Opening Day on Monday. (The plane tix having been my Valentines Day gift from the beauteous Imp.) So I will be having one myself tomorrow. Let's see, I land around 11:00 PM. Call it by 11:30. :D
 
When my brother was a poor hippie he lived in the Mission in San Francisco, and used to take me to these great, cheap burrito joints. Now he's "made it" and lives the good life in Beverly Hills, he takes me to these stupid, up-market, pretentious, L-A-bullshit "Mexican" restaurants, with thse passive-aggresive obsequious waiters I can't stand. The food sucks too.

So we go down to Pico, and get some funky carne asada burritos. My treat.

Call me an inverted snob, but to me great mexican food HAS to be cheap and cheerful. And the HOTTER the fuckin' salsa, the better. Even if it makes me stain the leather seat of my brother's Posche with my squirting liquid farts on the way home
 
When I was in a Reserve unit that was about 2/3 Latino, we had a standing rule that any Mexican restaurant that had a Board of Health rating higher than C was probably not worth going into. You gotta have linoleum floors, Formica furniture and a few flies buzzing around over the dining area. If you can find that . . . dig in!

Unfortunately, you'll almost always have to bring your own beer.
 
From where I'm born Lapin à la Dijonnaise (rabbit and dijon), Bourgogne (red wine) and Comté (cheese).

Here poutine from Pierrette Patate of course !
 
Oh, the food bang-ups in Reno have to be the Italian Festival or the Nuggest Rib Cook-off. Virginia Street is closed, and a pile of fun, for the Italian Festival. It's just the same for Victorian Avenue and the rib cook-off.

Sparks Rib Cook-off - http://www.nuggetribcookoff.com/photocontest/winner/
Italian Festival - http://www.eldoradoreno.com/entertainment/e40-eldorado-great-italian-festival.aspx

It's all a bit like voluptuary_manque said here:
...restaurant that had a Board of Health rating higher than C was probably not worth going into. You gotta have linoleum floors, Formica furniture and a few flies buzzing around over the dining area. If you can find that . . . dig in!...

There's nothing like walking down the middle of the street with a beer in one hand and fun in the other!
 
Oh, the food bang-ups in Reno have to be the Italian Festival or the Nuggest Rib Cook-off. Virginia Street is closed, and a pile of fun, for the Italian Festival. It's just the same for Victorian Avenue and the rib cook-off.

Sparks Rib Cook-off - http://www.nuggetribcookoff.com/photocontest/winner/
Italian Festival - http://www.eldoradoreno.com/entertainment/e40-eldorado-great-italian-festival.aspx

It's all a bit like voluptuary_manque said here:


There's nothing like walking down the middle of the street with a beer in one hand and fun in the other!

But if you happen to be in Reno when those festivities aren't happening, then Louie's Basque Hotel is the place!
 
Back
Top