Literotica statistics.

i_would

Really Really Experienced
Some time ago I read on these forums the claim that Gay Male story readers are mostly females. Now it's well known that the yaoi manga is mostly read by women, so maybe that's also the case for Gay Male? Well, spoiler: it's not so. However the number of females reading Gay Male stories is surprisingly high.

Anyway I did some work on this, checking out readers and authors.
To get an idea on readership of stories and categories, I looked at the registered users that marked a story Favorite, or that added a Comment to the story. Hereby the results.

1. Scores and hotness of categories.
The average rating of stories on the site is 4.20, the median score is 4.31, meaning half the stories on the site has a score 4.31 or better.

Average story score per category:
Lowest average rating: 3.90 in Illustrated.
Highest average rating: 4.47 in Novels and Novellas

Hotness of stories:
Hotness is the percentage of stories that reaches “Hot” status, i.e. a score of 4.50 or higher.
Of all the stories, 28.5% is “Hot”.
Coldest category: 5.2% “Hot” in Illustrated.
Hottest category: 62.5% “Hot” in Novels and Novellas.

2. Views and comments.

Average views per story per category.
Best read category: Illustrated with on average 328259 views per story.
This is a remarkable number, the second best read is Incest/Taboo with on average 123837 views per story, and the third is Text With Audio with on average 91126 views per story.
Worst read category: Novels and Novellas with on average 10131 views per story.

Average comments per story per category.
Category with lowest number of comments per story: Celebrities with 1.34 comments per story.
Second lowest: Erotic Couplings, 1.48 comments per story.
Third lowest: BDSM with 1.57 comments per story.
Fourth lowest: Group Sex with 1.59 comments per story.

Category with highest number of comments per story:
Loving Wives with 12.8 comments per story.
Second highest: How To with 12.5 comments per story.
Third highest: Text With Audio with 12.3 comments per story.

Average number of views that results in a comment on a story per category.
Higher number means less likely to receive comments.
Most actively commenting readers: Non-Erotic with one comment per 1961 views.
Least active commenting readers: Illustrated with one comment per 33467 views.
Loving Wives is 7th with one comment per 5182 views.

3. Sex ratios of readers.
Sex ratio of readers per category. The percentage “Unknown” is the percentage of the total number of readers; the others are the percentage of those that did indicate their gender.

Overall sex ratios of readers.
57.3% male, 41.1% female, 0.8% couple, 0.8% transsexual.
Of the readers, 33.1% did not indicate their gender.

Interesting observations in sex ratios of readers.
Highest ratio of female readers: Non Human
17.1% male, 82.8% female (28% of the total readers gave no answer).

Highest ratio of male readers: Loving Wives.
88.1% male, 8.7% female (33.7% of the readers gave no answer).

Most secretive readers: Mind Control
79.6% male, 18.8% female. Of the total, 46.2% gave no answer for gender.
Does this have to do with the subject matter?

Sex ratio of readers of Gay Male:
54% male, 42.8% female.
This is very close to the site average, going against the expected higher number of female readers (Japanese yaoi manga is known to have a primarily female readership).

Sex ratio of readers of Lesbian Sex (one could call that Gay Female as well of course):
51.4% male, 46.7% female.
Again very close the the site average.

4. Sexual orientation of readers.
This only uses the information from readers that indicate both their gender and their sexual orientation.
Overall sexual orientations:
Males: 86.4% straight, 2.1% gay, 11.4% bi.
Females: 70.1% straight, 2.5% gay, 27.5% bi.
The high number of bisexual females stands out. This gives weight to the typical male fantasy of “all women are bisexual”.

Results for selected categories:
Gay Male:
Males: 13.7% straight, 36.3% gay, 50% bi.
Ratios are not very surprising, with a very strong skew towards gay males and a lesser skew towards bisexual males reading Gay Male stories.
Females: 66.7% straight, 1% gay, 32.4% bi.
These ratios are very close to the overall ratios of the sexual orientation of females on this site. There seems to be no relationship between sexual orientation of a female and her interest in Gay Male stories, except the lowish ratio of gay women.

Lesbian Sex:
Same story as Gay Male but with the genders swapped.
Males: 85% straight, 15% bi, which is close to the site average. No gay males found among the readership, apparently gay males really don't like women.
Females: 9.4% straight, 38.1% gay, 52.5% bi.
Really almost the exact same story as for males reading Gay Male stories. Straight women just don't like fantasising about doing it with another woman.

5. Overall sex ratios authors.
58.8% male
39.1% female
1.02% couple
1.09% transsexual
Of the total number of authors, 10.9% did not indicate their gender.
This ratio is very close to the sex ratio of readers. With the large number of users not indicating their gender and errors due to this being just a sample of the site, one should consider them equal.

Interesting observations in sex ratios of authors.
Highest ratio of female authors: Non Human
26.3% male, 73.7% female (8.3% overall gave no answer).
Also the category with the highest ratio of female readers, though the authors sex ratio less skewed.

Highest ratio of male authors: Gay Male
81.8% male, 16.4% female.
Very different from the sex ratio of this category's readers, which has slightly more females than the site average.

Gender ratio of authors of Lesbian Sex stories:
31.2% male, 68.8% female (11.7% overall gave no answer)
Like Gay Male this is also in strong contrast to the sex ratio of the readership.

Gender ratio of authors of Loving Wives stories:
79.9% male, 12.1% female, 8.1% couple.
Interesting is how many “couple” authors there are in this category. Also notable is how many more female authors there are in this category than female readers, especially if you add the female half of the “couple” too.

Text with Audio is second for ratio of couples as author: 5.9% indicate they're a couple.

6. Sexual orientation of authors.
This only uses the information from authors that indicated both their gender and their sexual orientation. The results:
Males: 86.4% straight, 2.1% gay, 11.4% bi.
Females: 70.1% straight, 2.5% gay, 27.5% bi.
These numbers are virtually identical to the overall readership numbers.

Results for selected categories:
The sexual orientation of the authors and readers of the two gay categories closely matches the orientations of their respective readers, even though the gender ratio is very different between readers and authors.
Gay Male:
Males: 19% straight, 28% gay, 53% bi.
Females: 68% straight, 32% bi.
Both are very close to the sexual orientations of the readerships of these categories.

Lesbian Sex:
Males: 72% straight, 28% bi. Interesting is the relatively high ratio of bisexual male authors of Lesbian Sex stories.
Females: 14% straight, 36% gay, 51% bi. Pretty much identical to the sexual orientation of the readers of these stories.

If you have any other ideas of potential intersting statistics let me know and I will try to create them. Note that the above is likely to contain errors, and is for entertainment only. No serious weight should be given to this information.

Awesome data! Thanks so much! I guess something I'd like to know is which categories win contests most frequently.

Can you get a statistic for writers who use names opposite their actual sex? A lot of the male names in GM are women, and a lot of the lesbian stories are written by men under female names. Matter of fact, a lot of men write under female names these days, even in hetero cats because there's a perception that women are better writers of erotica. :)

Hmm.

I could have sworn there were more female authors in GM. Maybe there are, but they think that it's weird for straight women to write GM, so they go under a psuedonym.

Occam's razor, I know... But I just have a hard time believing that it's only sixteen-something percent.

There's no way of telling what the actual gender is of a Literotica member--only what they choose to claim.

here are some numbers from our old friend owlwhisper...

Numbers tabulated in late 2008

Perhaps you could run a comparison with 2012 figures

And please explain your methodology...

owlwhisper_literoticanumbers_03.gif

Anyway I did some work on this, checking out readers and authors.
To get an idea on readership of stories and categories, I looked at the registered users that marked a story Favorite, or that added a Comment to the story. Hereby the results.

I am a little unclear as to your methodology. Based upon your description, I am under the impression that you mined one day's worth of scores and comments from the category hubs. Is that correct? I have clicked all over the story index links and can't find any basis for claiming to evaluate all stories and all users on the site. If you have access to more data, then please share with us how it came into your possession.

How can you tell what the median vote is? :confused: Do you actually have lists of all the votes for specific stories? :confused: The average is no problem, but the median vote is the number exactly in the middle, with an equal number of votes higher as lower. If a story has three votes - a "5" a "4" and a "1" the average is 3.33 and the median is 4.

How can you tell what the median vote is? :confused: Do you actually have lists of all the votes for specific stories? :confused: The average is no problem, but the median vote is the number exactly in the middle, with an equal number of votes higher as lower. If a story has three votes - a "5" a "4" and a "1" the average is 3.33 and the median is 4.

I think what he/she meant was median vote total among various stories. The vote total of each of a number of stories is, of course, easy to know.

If that's not what was meant, then what would the meaning be of the average of all votes for a specific story? That would simply be the story's score.

Lesbian Sex:
Same story as Gay Male but with the genders swapped.
Males: 85% straight, 15% bi, which is close to the site average. No gay males found among the readership, apparently gay males really don't like women.

Oh, most of us like women just fine. We just don't have the slightest interest in what they do with their lady parts. Especially in stories where there's not a Y chromosome in sight.

From the Summer Lovin competition ...

Based on (and only on) the stories in the Summer Lovin competition, as at last night, my figures roughly agree with what was posted above. Bear in mind there is no entry in Illustrated (and some other categories) in that competition.

The average rating of stories on the site is 4.20, the median score is 4.31, meaning half the stories on the site has a score 4.31 or better.

For the competition:

There are 107 stories in the competition to date, with an average score of 4.21 from an average of 305 votes. The median score is 4.29, and the median number of votes is 175.

So, almost exact agreement.

The other figures are below. I presume my sample is much smaller than the one in the opening post.

Categories entered

• Erotic Couplings (23 stories)
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur (8 stories)
  • Fetish (2 stories)
  • First Time (4 stories)
  • Gay Male (3 stories)
  • Group Sex (11 stories)
  • Humor & Satire (2 stories)
  • Incest/Taboo (16 stories)
  • Lesbian Sex (6 stories)
  • Loving Wives (5 stories)
  • Mature (4 stories)
  • NonConsent/Reluctance (2 stories)
  • NonHuman (2 stories)
  • Novels and Novellas (2 stories)
  • Romance (14 stories)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy (1 story)
  • Toys & Masturbation (2 stories)

Views by category

• Incest/Taboo: 1,325,228 (44.0%)
  • Erotic Couplings: 431,676 (14.3%)
  • Group Sex: 264,630 (8.8%)
  • Loving Wives: 174,213 (5.8%)
  • Romance: 150,911 (5.0%)
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur: 148,907 (4.9%)
  • Mature: 133,386 (4.4%)
  • Lesbian Sex: 118,431 (3.9%)
  • First Time: 68,319 (2.3%)
  • Fetish: 54,811 (1.8%)
  • NonConsent/Reluctance: 40,461 (1.3%)
  • Gay Male: 30,029 (1.0%)
  • Toys & Masturbation: 20,023 (0.7%)
  • Novels and Novellas: 16,692 (0.6%)
  • NonHuman: 13,372 (0.4%)
  • Humor & Satire: 11,502 (0.4%)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy: 11,321 (0.4%)

Comments by category

• Incest/Taboo: 388 (35.5%)
  • Romance: 179 (16.4%)
  • Loving Wives: 102 (9.3%)
  • Erotic Couplings: 102 (9.3%)
  • Lesbian Sex: 53 (4.8%)
  • Group Sex: 47 (4.3%)
  • Mature: 45 (4.1%)
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur: 39 (3.6%)
  • Gay Male: 30 (2.7%)
  • Fetish: 22 (2.0%)
  • NonHuman: 20 (1.8%)
  • First Time: 20 (1.8%)
  • Humor & Satire: 15 (1.4%)
  • NonConsent/Reluctance: 12 (1.1%)
  • Novels and Novellas: 9 (0.8%)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy: 7 (0.6%)
  • Toys & Masturbation: 3 (0.3%)

Favorites by category

• Incest/Taboo: 602 (54.2%)
  • Romance: 141 (12.7%)
  • Erotic Couplings: 78 (7.0%)
  • Group Sex: 55 (5.0%)
  • Lesbian Sex: 47 (4.2%)
  • Mature: 40 (3.6%)
  • Loving Wives: 28 (2.5%)
  • NonHuman: 22 (2.0%)
  • Novels and Novellas: 20 (1.8%)
  • Gay Male: 20 (1.8%)
  • Fetish: 18 (1.6%)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy: 15 (1.4%)
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur: 15 (1.4%)
  • First Time: 5 (0.5%)
  • Humor & Satire: 5 (0.5%)
  • NonConsent/Reluctance: 0 (0.0%)
  • Toys & Masturbation: 0 (0.0%)

Votes by category

• Incest/Taboo: 14,485 (44.3%)
  • Romance: 4,311 (13.2%)
  • Erotic Couplings: 3,428 (10.5%)
  • Mature: 2,464 (7.5%)
  • Group Sex: 1,766 (5.4%)
  • Loving Wives: 1,433 (4.4%)
  • Lesbian Sex: 1,239 (3.8%)
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur: 912 (2.8%)
  • First Time: 577 (1.8%)
  • Fetish: 407 (1.2%)
  • Gay Male: 390 (1.2%)
  • NonHuman: 375 (1.1%)
  • NonConsent/Reluctance: 321 (1.0%)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy: 196 (0.6%)
  • Novels and Novellas: 147 (0.4%)
  • Humor & Satire: 122 (0.4%)
  • Toys & Masturbation: 119 (0.4%)

Average scores by category

• Novels and Novellas: 4.61
  • Romance: 4.54
  • Gay Male: 4.54
  • Mature: 4.51
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy: 4.47
  • Lesbian Sex: 4.36
  • Incest/Taboo: 4.35
  • Fetish: 4.30
  • Humor & Satire: 4.21
  • Erotic Couplings: 4.15
  • Group Sex: 4.11
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur: 4.02
  • First Time: 3.92
  • NonHuman: 3.83
  • Toys & Masturbation: 3.73
  • NonConsent/Reluctance: 3.52
  • Loving Wives: 3.48

Hotness by category

• Mature: 75%
  • Gay Male: 67%
  • Romance: 64%
  • Incest/Taboo: 56%
  • Novels and Novellas: 50%
  • Lesbian Sex: 50%
  • Erotic Couplings: 22%
  • Group Sex: 18%

I don't know if most gay male readers are female. There isn't exactly a good way to track that. Now if you talk gay romance novels that are published by a company the authors can be tracked and most of those are written by women.

Considering the fact that romance is almost entirely a style appreciated and read by women it makes sense. Not all gay men have a woman's mindset so a romance written by one of those probably would not be appreciated since there is not the feelings documented every other paragraph.

I'm kidding on the feelings part but sometimes I swear it's like every other paragraph is talking about feelings. :rolleyes:

I don't know if most gay male readers are female. There isn't exactly a good way to track that. Now if you talk gay romance novels that are published by a company the authors can be tracked and most of those are written by women.

Considering the fact that romance is almost entirely a style appreciated and read by women it makes sense. Not all gay men have a woman's mindset so a romance written by one of those probably would not be appreciated since there is not the feelings documented every other paragraph.

I'm kidding on the feelings part but sometimes I swear it's like every other paragraph is talking about feelings. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if most GM readers were female--but mostly of female writers of GM--and that most writers of GM stories are females.

I will say that most e-mails I receive on GM stories either claim to be from females or read like they are.

@LiquidMatthew: sorry, no data about contest winners.

@Sella Omega: no, can't, unless you would manually vet every single name for sounding male or female first. And that's just too much work.

@Cruel2BKind: this was a surprise to me, too. Gender is taken by what the respective authors put in their profile - not by what the name sounds like or anything. Of course they may lie there though I don't expect that to happen on a large scale (I think they would more likely say "No Answer").

@emap: after posting these stats I've looked again a little more about the yaoi issue. And it seems you're quite right there. Yaoi has relatively little explicit sex in it, and is more about romance. It's very popular among female readers. The Japanese also have GM manga focussing more on sex, which is more popular with gay males indeed. This confirms indeed that women are more into romance, and men more into just sex.

@sr71plt: while it may be surprising that females are not a majority for readers of GM stories, it is interesting how many females are interested in reading about men having sex with men.

A bit more about the methodology:
- stories were chosen randomly through the "story spinner" function. The stories used are from all years, maybe very old or brand new. This is purely random. I took at least 200 stories in each category, due to some technical glitches some have more, up to 400 stories surveyed.
- readers: data was collected from users that either "favorite" a story or commented on a story.
- gender and orientation of readers and authors was taken from what they put in their profile.

There is of course a lot that can go wrong here.
1) people may lie in their profiles. Personally I doubt they do this much, as I don't see much of a reason to do so - people that don't want to disclose their information may choose "no answer".
2) by using comments and favourites to gauge readers, there may be a bias introduced as well. For example in case one gender is more likely to comment or favourite a story. Yet it is the only way to get any idea on readership.
3) about 1/3 or readers doesn't disclose gender and sexual orientation. This is also a possible source of bias.
4) site-wide averages should be weighed against total stories in a category, or my sample sizes. I'm too lazy do figure out how to do that easily in SQL.

@sun_sea_sky: LW ended up somewhere in the middle when it comes to average scores in my survey, nothing special there. Interesting difference with this contest. Trolls at work maybe?

Could be, plus you have a somewhat larger sample. My sample (because of the entries in the competition) was only 5 in LW. Probably a bit small to be really statistically significant.

Give me 12 months and a few more competitions and I can probably do a better sample.

Plus I don't have the gender info you do. I could pull it in for authors easily enough.

Back