If you could design your own home

Helgamite

Married gamer
found this site that allows you to make a floor plan of any home you want. I'm having fun with it. comes with templates, or you can use Cad to create your own from scratch.

this is mine from scratch.

https://prnt.sc/pQIFOmFE8RE3

I don't understand why you would want a long narrow hallway into your bathroom.

it was gonna be a bedroom, but I didn't want to add another room to the side for a bathroom. so I turned into a bathroom and the hallway , hmm not sure myself now. probably something I figured on the spur of the moment
I don't understand why you would want a long narrow hallway into your bathroom.

What do the little i icons mean?
what Icons? the ones inside the squares?

basically inside each room shows like couch, tv fireplace, kitchen equipment, beds etc. something you would find in a floorplan to show where Items could be located or where hookups are located as well.

also on the walls, it shows windows, sliding doors etc as well.

what Icons? the ones inside the squares?

basically inside each room shows like couch, tv fireplace, kitchen equipment, beds etc. something you would find in a floorplan to show where Items could be located or where hookups are located as well.

also on the walls, it shows windows, sliding doors etc as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-04-01 at 2.06.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-01 at 2.06.22 AM.png
    192.9 KB · Views: 7
ok, the i icon is an info that you can mouse over.

the Icons in the bathroom are what you would put in there like a shower, toilet etc.

the numbers with lines are supposed to be feet and inches between walls and counters etc.

the door icons, they have the half circle on the walls.

I'm not sure about the measurements being all that good lol.

If you want to try it, and see, I used the cad\draft option to make my own. on

https://app.smartdraw.com

thats what I used'

It looks big, I love it
I love big houses. plenty of room for growth. if you look at the dining room, it has a sliding glass door to go outside for a patio with a grill or poll and be able to have a dinner inside. ESPECIALLY useful in the south! lmao

About 20 years ago, I designed a 1200 square-foot all-electric home in southern Arizona based on the energy conservation concepts promoted by Daniel Chiras. These design concepts optimize solar exposures, thermal mass, and insulation characteristics.

I gradually hand-built this house and have been living in it since 2010. It is thermally stable and comfortable year round, and my average electrical bill is $35 per month, including the electricity to pump water from my private well.

The most important thing to do when designing a home is to consider long term energy costs.

This floor plan is definitely flawed. There's no place for the washer and dryer, only one common bathroom and no closets anywhere. Although the kitchen appears spacious there's no pantry. Also where is the HVAC system going to be located.

I did design my own home, but I was a certified building plans examiner for a few years, and got a few ideas along the way. Then, I acted as general contractor and supervised construction. Too old to do it again, but a very satisfying experience overall. I’d not change much, but wish my crystal ball on our retirement funds had been more clear ten years ago, the house would have been just a little bigger.

I've never designed my own home but the homes I've lived in from childhood to now I've taken note of all the shortcomings. I've seen cabinets too close to dishwashers so that the dishwasher couldn't be opened. I've seen way too much wasted space such as livingrooms while having dens and the kitchen-dining area is too small. One thing I see is hallways that are too narrow.

I've never designed my own home but the homes I've lived in from childhood to now I've taken note of all the shortcomings. I've seen cabinets too close to dishwashers so that the dishwasher couldn't be opened. I've seen way too much wasted space such as livingrooms while having dens and the kitchen-dining area is too small. One thing I see is hallways that are too narrow.
One advantage I had was job experience. In an average year, I reviewed between $7 hundred million and $8 hundred million worth of new construction plans, and did a lot site visits for inspections. I learned a lot from that work. If my financial forecasting crystal ball had been working, our house would be slightly bigger, but the layout would be the same. A lot of people don’t think about door swings, interference fits, and wasted space.

Back