Help with story rejection

EmilyMiller

Good men did nothing
There is a theory that “popular” authors are treated differently to the hoi polloi. And I’ve somehow been lumped into this golden category (which is fucking hilarious given my viewership numbers). Illuminati like me don’t have it worry about story rejections. Our stuff just sails through with never a single red flag.

Except… I got a story rejection today. It wasn’t AI, it wasn’t underage, it wasn’t (and this is kinda surprising) terrible spelling and grammar. It’s a technical issue. The details are immaterial.

I just know it’s customary to create a thread about such things. And who am I to question our customs?

Oh, and I resubmitted it with a note, and I PMed Laurel (it’s actually related to an ongoing convo we are having).

She might sort it out, she might not. If the latter, I’ll chase it up. I know she has a thousand other things on.

No drama.

I really think this is the best approach. Be persistent if necessary. But answers lie with Laurel.

Emily

But now I'm curious.
OK - to do with linking to unpublished chapters. Something I have done for ages.

I can see how it might be problematic for the site, but I do it because no better alternative is offered. In - for example - SharePoint (or Wordpress) - you can link a page to an unpublished one. Here the URL only gets allocated when it’s published and not before.

Emily

We can meet at that little wine bar down by the aquarium to assuage your depression if you'd like.(I know you're devastated)
I'm buying... ;)

(this is sarcasm. I don't really even know if there's a wine bar by the aquarium. I'm also 1500 miles from Jersey.)

Well, I am certainly not someone who supports that theory as I have never said anything about story rejection and popularity being linked. My own stories get published without any problems. But imagine spending the next three months PM-ing Laurel about your story and being ignored. I would love to see your forum reaction then ;)

Your story issue will be solved, I am sure, and not because you are "popular" or because Laurel likes you, but because she is more invested in stories being published than in solving any other problems. I believe it's only the authors who get rejected for the AI that have some serious problems in this regard.
Link the story when it's up (unless it's 750 words :p)

Well, I am certainly not someone who supports that theory as I have never said anything about story rejection and popularity being linked. My own stories get published without any problems. But imagine spending the next three months PM-ing Laurel about your story and being ignored. I would love to see your forum reaction then ;)

Your story issue will be solved, I am sure, and not because you are "popular" or because Laurel likes you, but because she is more invested in stories being published than in solving any other problems. I believe it's only the authors who get rejected for the AI that have some serious problems in this regard.
Link the story when it's up (unless it's 750 words :p)
It’s 4.7k words - chapter 2 of a three-part story, so will be about 15k words in total.

We can meet at that little wine bar down by the aquarium to assuage your depression if you'd like.(I know you're devastated)
I'm buying... ;)

(this is sarcasm. I don't really even know if there's a wine bar by the aquarium. I'm also 1500 miles from Jersey.)
What sparkling wines do they have. I like the Roederer Estate Brut Rose…

I've had several stories rejected for various reasons - violence, underage etc... A couple of my rejected stories required major rewrites on my part. Whenever I resubmitted, I always noted in the note to admin section what the original rejection issue was and what I did to fix it. Always had a very quick turnaround on those resubmittals.
I always take it as an opportunity to make another editing pass.

I've had several stories rejected for various reasons - violence, underage etc... A couple of my rejected stories required major rewrites on my part. Whenever I resubmitted, I always noted in the note to admin section what the original rejection issue was and what I did to fix it. Always had a very quick turnaround on those resubmittals.
I always take it as an opportunity to make another editing pass.
Agree entirely

Emily

Sweeter in a context concerning you is so overkill... 🥰

Personally, I prefer a slightly spicy Merlot.
[Expletive deleted] autocorrect changed Mumm to mum 😡

I like red, but I’m addicted to the sparkling stuff

Emily

[Expletive deleted] autocorrect changed Mumm to mum 😡

I like red, but I’m addicted to the sparkling stuff

Emily
Don't delete those expletives. Let them out. Holding it in causes constipation(physical and emotional) don't you know. 🤪

I'm in the top 50 Most Followed Authors, and I don't think I get any special treatment.

I submit stories during the week, no later than Friday afternoon, and I always request that they be published on the next Monday. Most of the time they are, but sometimes they aren't. If they aren't, I don't hear from anyone. If they aren't published on the requested date, I have no idea when they'll be published. Usually, they are published on the next Monday, but they've been published on a Thursday. It's annoying, but not a big deal.

Don't tell anyone, but Monday has the fewest stories published, so the stories published on Monday get more views

Don't delete those expletives. Let them out. Holding it in causes constipation(physical and emotional) don't you know. 🤪
Yes, one must carefully navigate between the Scylla of constipation and the Charybdis of diarrhea.

Edit: Fun fact, those are associated with the Strait of Messina. Gross! :LOL:

No offense, EM, but this, right there, is the reason you've "been lumped into this golden category".
I have PMs she’s never responded to, same as others. What I would say is she’s always taken any serious issue seriously. And I very much appreciate that.

Emily

I have PMs she’s never responded to, same as others. What I would say is she’s always taken any serious issue seriously. And I very much appreciate that.

Emily

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you said so before. More than once, since I've seen you reply in that kind on (almost) every thread I've found where people complain about not receiving a reply from the admins. And that's what gave me the impression.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing you of anything. But I can see how a comment like this, when people are frustrated about the lack of responses from the admins, would make them believe that you're friends with the woman and therefore get special treatment.

Emily
I've found her appropriately receptive to all my PMs. Of course, in retrospect, there are some I probably didn't need to send that were ignored. Any real issues I've had have been resolved.

I will confess I did print and frame the one actual response I got from her. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you said so before. More than once, since I've seen you reply in that kind on (almost) every thread I've found where people complain about not receiving a reply from the admins. And that's what gave me the impression.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing you of anything. But I can see how a comment like this, when people are frustrated about the lack of responses from the admins, would make them believe that you're friends with the woman and therefore get special treatment.
Yeah - I get that. But not really…

I guess I have had a few things to talk to her about (notably my transition from EmilyMillerSub to EmilyMiller). So we have had quite a few interactions in the short time I have been here. Given that she at least skims all submissions, she’s also read bits of my work and been kind about it. She has also provided very kind and pertinent advice on occasion.

But it’s not like I know her cellphone number (WhatsApp maybe).

All I’ve ever done is to try to a) acknowledge how busy she is, b) be super clear about the issue, c) say I know she has loads of other priorities, d) say thank you if she is able to help.

I’m a prolific writer, but could point to a hundred others who generate far more traffic for the site. I’m obviously kinda prolific here as well. But, as she says, most of her time is spent on the story side. My ramblings here are of no material benefit to the site. AH is a drop in the ocean compared to the whole forums. And the forums are a drop in the ocean compared to the whole site.

I can’t think of any other reason why others struggle with getting responses.

And… as I say, I have had PMs go unanswered, it’s not like I have a batphone.

I mean it was nice to get the Xmas card signed by her and Manu, and the roses on Valentine’s was a nice touch, and I’ll always cherish the threesome we had, but - other than that - I’m just mostly annoying to her I think.

Emily

All sorted out - if anyone cares - all it took was the promise of nude selfie.

For the avoidance of doubt this is a joke.

Emily

Back