Geek Pride Day! Official Support Thread

Not too far in the future. PLAN space force heroically defending earth from the evil aliens....

Actually does space opera qualify as geek? My heroine is kind of geek but it's a sort of dystopian space operatic SF story that I roughed out this afternoon. "Penetration Testing"

Actually does space opera qualify as geek? My heroine is kind of geek but it's a sort of dystopian space operatic SF story that I roughed out this afternoon. "Penetration Testing"

Star Wars, Star Trek, Battle Star Galactica (old or new), Buck Rogers, Jason of Star Command, Flash Gordon, Star Crash... If these space operas don't qualify as "geek", then I have seriously misunderstood the theme of PuckIt's Geek Pride Day project.

And also what JC said.

Star Wars, Star Trek, Battle Star Galactica (old or new), Buck Rogers, Jason of Star Command, Flash Gordon, Star Crash... If these space operas don't qualify as "geek", then I have seriously misunderstood the theme of PuckIt's Geek Pride Day project.

And also what JC said.

I was thinking John Ringo (think some similarities to the Troy Rising series and to Tom Kratman's Watch on the Rhine)/ e e doc smith but a version where the Chinese are doing the heavy lifting - a 2k words outline. That's all, really.

And an affirmative action white hero who nobody trusts coz he's some dumbass affirmative action appointee and why don't we have a Chinese commander ....

But our gorgeous Chinese heroine just knows he's got the right stuff and with a little encouragement and the words of the Glorious Chairman of the People's Republic of China and the Chinese Hegemony of Western Mei Guo to inspire him he will of course do the right thing....

Or something like that.

Last edited:
I'm writing a space opera as well and have yet to receive a flogging by our record-keeping, cheerleading dark elven ... umm. Forgot to ask her class and level.

Anyway, no complaints so far. Space Opera rocks and I'm curious what you've cooked up, Chloe.

I'm writing a space opera as well and have yet to receive a flogging by our record-keeping, cheerleading dark elven ... umm. Forgot to ask her class and level.
17th level Tantrist with 2 prestige levels in Dominator. :rose:

And I concur, it counts! Space Opera brings out all the best Nerd Rage when a group starts taking it too seriously. :D

Anyway, no complaints so far. Space Opera rocks and I'm curious what you've cooked up, Chloe.
Same! Yol Bolsun, Chloe!

Reading this thread makes me wonder if I need to pull out my 1983 Advanced D&D Monster book and all my dice!

AwesomeCon 2018

I still haven't cracked 2,000 words, but my outline is pretty well fleshed out - assuming more research doesn't negate my premise. I'm on my way downtown to get my geek on at AwesomeCon. Looking forward to seeing Michael Dorn, Pom Klementieff, Cress Williams, John Boyega, Shawn Gunn, and Stephen Amell. I'm probably not going to get much writing done this weekend.

Feel free to. But what you REALLY need to do is write a story set in the Gamma World setting. :)

Jeez make me feel old. We used that setting in college..1982-83 academic year.

Maybe a time traveling dieselpunk private detective who can see elves, dwarves, and half-dressed nymphs.

I'm no young whippersnapper either, as much as my lady love curses my inner twelve-year-old.

Well, that was cathartic. A 2k words threesome between a water-breathing alien, a space dark elf futanari and my poor male protagonist. Not bad for the day I intended to take off. :)

Geek on!

Although Etaski and LoquiSordidaAdMe pretty well covered it, yes Space Opera is Geek (and Nerd) fodder!

As far as writing it in the vein of John Ringo in the Posleen War Series, don't be a tease, Chloe!

And RJThoughts, don't worry about the fact our gaming dice are older than some of these whippersnappers. Get your dieselpunk freak on and let us show 'em how us "old timers" get our Geek on, eh? :D

As far as writing it in the vein of John Ringo in the Posleen War Series, don't be a tease, Chloe! D

Would I tease? But not the Posleen series. A combination of the Troy series, "The Brigade" by Harold Covington and some assorted other SF influences including Elizabeth Moon.

I wonder if Alan Fournier, "les Grandes Meaulnes" would be a good style to base a science fiction story on. I remember reading it a long time ago and being impressed with the way it was written. He wrote only one book and was killed in the first week of wwl.

And RJThoughts, don't worry about the fact our gaming dice are older than some of these whippersnappers. Get your dieselpunk freak on and let us show 'em how us "old timers" get our Geek on, eh? :D

Geek on! Mine has references to both 2001 A Space Odyssey and Apollo 11. All these young grasshoppers don't realise that it was done properly, back in the day, with slide rules, Polaroid and reel-to-reel video tape.

Geek on! Mine has references to both 2001 A Space Odyssey and Apollo 11. All these young grasshoppers don't realise that it was done properly, back in the day, with slide rules, Polaroid and reel-to-reel video tape.

Oh I have my old Robert heinlein novels where they navigated with slide rules and books of tables.

Right? I got lost in the jungle one time. But, I had a compass. So, at least I could draw a perfect circle with my pencil.

:D

Going to use this April's Camp NaNoWriMo to do my story for this, managed 3k today. So yes, there will be a pirate in the geeking contest.

:D

Well, that was cathartic. A 2k words threesome between a water-breathing alien, a space dark elf futanari and my poor male protagonist. Not bad for the day I intended to take off. :)
GIMME!!

Wait, wait, goddamn it, I said the plot better be making its way stalwartly over the horizon soon, and I mean it.

Although I added a Rind of "Firefley" to the Mash-Up Margarita this story reminds me of. :D Having a ball with this recipe.

I'll take "Another!" *crash coffee cup* when you're close to promising me that shipwreck for realz.

Time to update The List!

In Order of Appearance:

PuckIt (In Progress, Brooding Dragon Egg with 8-inch Pixie)

BiscuitHammer

Antryg Windrose

electricblue66
(13K and counting, Easter Eggs of 2001 and Apollo 11, YAASSSS!)

Blind_Justice (18K and counting, Etaski's beta impression: mash-up and strain together Mass Effect, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Babylon 5, pour into a sizeable goblet, and enjoy. Add a Rind of Firefly to that Margarita glass.)

lovecraft68

ChloeTzang
(John Ringo/ e e doc smith but a version where the Chinese are doing the heavy lifting. Note: the name of the ship is NOT the SLAP Happiness.)

Voboy (FIRST FINISHED! Quote the author: "21,000 words, and yes, it includes penetrative sex with an alien who has a prehensile penis and can cum on order. Also lots of oral, in all sorts of contexts. And a space battle!")

YouDidWhut

xelliebabex

rutger5

LoquiSordidaAdMe
(In Progress, Guilty of AwesomeCon Starry-eyed Geek Celeb Syndrome)

Alice_Rosaleen (1500 words, Etaski's beta-impression: Cyberpunk triple-distilled, topshelf. *tips empty shotglass.* Sigh, damn.)

PrettyLilPussy

JasonClearwater
(33K words and counting, straddling the reality border)

ShyChiWriter

Loquere

RjThoughts
(Am I mistaken, or did I just hear the rattle of dice? ;) )

MSTarot (PIRATES! YARR! AT LAST!)

Mine's done. 10,000 words of botany, love and autism. As usual, it will be different. It is my first story in the science fiction genre. It will probably bomb but I like it. It is mostly edited. I do my own.

Mine's done. 10,000 words of botany, love and autism. As usual, it will be different. It is my first story in the science fiction genre. It will probably bomb but I like it. It is mostly edited. I do my own.

Oh!! Congratulations! :D

That's what I missed, weftandwarp. I studied your post and was trying to figure, "Sooooo...does this mean another contemplative author might want to dip toes in?" But I forgot to ask.

And lo, you're actually finished! Marvelous. :) I shall be sure to include you in the next list (usually when I have 3-4 notable alterations, if not more...don't want to be too anal about the updates. Anal is intended to be fun, not annoying. :D )

'love and autism'. I look forward to reading this one, too. :eek:

Back