Endless Ends

I tend to be of a somewhat philosophical turn of mind, so, on girls’ days out, we talk about stuff.

Yesterday we were talking about relationships, and how it is that even those of some value crash, and whether it’s worth (or even possible) to try for retrieval.

Naturally we disagreed.

My view is that almost any relationship can be saved. Hers, that once things start a steady decline, they should be abandoned with all haste.

(The oddity is that she usually takes the optimistic outlook, while I tend to be . . . umm, let's go with more pragmatic. 😇)

We eventually worked it down to one basic point of agreement.

Once open conversation ends, there is nowhere to go.

Oh, things may drag on for a while. Or, rarely, there might be a radical shift that starts genuine discourse again, but usually - no.

What shuts done genuine conversation? Ego, hurt feelings, pride, privacy concerns, defensiveness, lack of trust, fear, frustration - I could go on.

Can’t I always? 😝

But once people no longer feel they can converse openly - 🤷‍♀️

Odd, really. Not that it happens, because it happens all the time. More that people so readily abandon when their comfort zones are challenged.

Seems growth, and probably happiness, antagonistic.

#endlessnotes
 
This is the part of the conversation that I like. 🤔
Poorly constructed sentence, but, yep.

People become wedded to their perception of themselves, their narrative, their worldview. Instead of expanding as they age, their internal world narrows. It seems to act counterintuitive to happiness, which, can be - elusive enough without imposing self-actualized impediments.

#moreendlessnotes

Okay. I'll stop. :p
 
Poorly constructed sentence, but, yep.

People become wedded to their perception of themselves, their narrative, their worldview. Instead of expanding as they age, their internal world narrows. It seems to act counterintuitive to happiness, which, can be - elusive enough without imposing self-actualized impediments.

#moreendlessnotes

Okay. I'll stop. :p

Don’t stop! I love this conversation. I was just too tired last night to really reply.

I think I lean toward your inclinations - very practical, but I also think most relationships can be saved after going off track if both people are willing to make the effort and communicate authentically. That kind of communication can be really difficult, though. It requires so much bravery, vulnerability, open-mindedness, thoughtfulness, and respect. And probably a willingness to hear things that challenge the narrative you have about yourself, the other person, or the relationship.

I try to actively seek out a certain number of things that make me uncomfortable. Some are exhilarating, and others push my boundaries in ways that aren’t fun in the moment but force self-reflection and growth. I’ve never regretted them. They’ve opened me up to amazing experiences that I cherish, but it can be a lot of hard work, too.

I think we sometimes mistake discomfort for a signal to retreat, when it can also be a signal that we’ve reached the edge of something in ourselves that might be worth examining.
 
Poorly constructed sentence, but, yep.

People become wedded to their perception of themselves, their narrative, their worldview. Instead of expanding as they age, their internal world narrows. It seems to act counterintuitive to happiness, which, can be - elusive enough without imposing self-actualized impediments.

#moreendlessnotes

Okay. I'll stop. :p
My thoughts are significantly less academic and much more base.
I like the what if game.
What if I’m wrong?
What if I’m right?
What if I’m the insane person?
It makes life more interesting. 🤷‍♂️

That doesn’t mean I’m going to change my views, opinions, thoughts, etc. but I’m open to hearing about things I haven’t thought of.
 
I think I lean toward your inclinations - very practical, but I also think most relationships can be saved after going off track if both people are willing to make the effort and communicate authentically.
This^ is my stance. The Bestie is the one who champions scrapping, with no prisoners taken. 🤣

That kind of communication can be really difficult, though. It requires so much bravery, vulnerability, open-mindedness, thoughtfulness, and respect. And probably a willingness to hear things that challenge the narrative you have about yourself, the other person, or the relationship.
It can be, but so worthwhile, I think. Regardless of the ultimate fate of a relationship. We tighten as we age, mentally and physically. It requires effort to keep those pathways open.

I try to actively seek out a certain number of things that make me uncomfortable.
This is tough stuff. I take my hat off. For me, it's a push. I overthink myself out of things.

I think we sometimes mistake discomfort for a signal to retreat, when it can also be a signal that we’ve reached the edge of something in ourselves that might be worth examining.
This is really beautifully put! :heart:
 
My thoughts are significantly less academic and much more base.
I like the what if game.
What if I’m wrong?
What if I’m right?
What if I’m the insane person?
It makes life more interesting. 🤷‍♂️

That doesn’t mean I’m going to change my views, opinions, thoughts, etc. but I’m open to hearing about things I haven’t thought of.
This works, too. It's a moving forward, in whatever way one is able to do so.

It's the moving forward, the challenging, the expansion, that counts.

And, no, it doesn't necessarily mean a change of opinion. It's more the openness of mind that is important. The ability to see or consider another's space, emotion, or through process, regardless of whether you embrace what you see.

It's rather like building neural pathways. Each new blossoming opens new doors and widens possibilities.

Of course, bearing in mind here that in all our conversations, I'm totally right. 😁
 
It can be, but so worthwhile, I think. Regardless of the ultimate fate of a relationship. We tighten as we age, mentally and physically. It requires effort to keep those pathways open.
I think this is so important because at the core, you need to be doing it for yourself. So you can learn and grow and be open to new views and experiences.

This is tough stuff. I take my hat off. For me, it's a push. I overthink myself out of things.
Oh, I can overthink hard, but I can also usually think myself out of a bad pattern too. I can catch myself and dig into why I’m thinking/feeling that way and challenge myself to a different perspective and course of action.

This is really beautifully put! :heart:
Discomfort can be a sign that we’re really living and not just numb or coasting.

And, no, it doesn't necessarily mean a change of opinion. It's more the openness of mind that is important. The ability to see or consider another's space, emotion, or through process, regardless of whether you embrace what you see.
That true openness of mind can be excruciatingly hard and a beautiful thing. To really strip away your own bias, narrative, preferences, feelings, and preconceived thoughts to try to examine things from their perspective and experience…it can be enlightening, liberating, thought provoking, and uncomfortable.
 
I think this is so important because at the core, you need to be doing it for yourself. So you can learn and grow and be open to new views and experiences.
⬆️⬆️⬆️

Oh, I can overthink hard, but I can also usually think myself out of a bad pattern too. I can catch myself and dig into why I’m thinking/feeling that way and challenge myself to a different perspective and course of action.
This can be a struggle for me. I usually sit, too long and too hard. My changes usually come in big leaps, people or otherwise. It's about worrying a situation or stuck place down. I'd like to move faster, but my gear is . . . glacial. 😂

Discomfort can be a sign that we’re really living and not just numb or coasting.
I :heart: this. Numb or coasting are the default positions. Those seems more like low level dissatisfaction, at best.
 
Back
Top