Do you leave comments?

Giving comments, as a writer, can be a bit tricky. Unless I know another writer is anxious for real critique (either by saying so in a preface or in their profile, or has offered up a story in the feedback forum) I have found it necessary to walk carefully. Many writers here seem to want nothing but praise (and I am happy to offer that if deserved.)

In descending order, I will comment when:

A story is exceptional in one or more respects. As a writer, I thrill when a reader 'gets it' or identified with a character or story, and I want another writer to know they did well.

It's a new author with some promise. Encouragement early is almost always helpful, and the Right Thing to Do in my book.

It is mostly a good tale, and one or two tweaks or a different stylistic approach would make it a Great Story. I'll point those out, noting that it's my opinion.

I'm fairly prolific with comments, but refuse to offer up a solely negative review, and if something is truly terrible (there's lots on hand here) I just keep the fingers on the keyboard silent.

Having worked with many people over the years who offer up their work for one reason or another, I try to adopt the 'praise sandwich' approach. Make an observation that is real and authentic, about some aspect of the tale that is well conceived, that worked, an element of goodness or success. Follow with the often unwelcome punch to the nose (wow, way too many adverbs, the dialogue is clunky, your character needs serious work) accompanied with at least one possible suggestion to fix/improve, and then end with some sort of encouragement, letting them know that I'm in there with them, the recognition that writing is hard work and it's not easy to arrive at something Good, and please, please, keep going, since there is no story so perfect it can't get better one way or another.

I will always give a star rating to stories that I finish reading.
I tend to only comment to compliment the author.
I don't see my role on here as a critic but as someone looking for feedback and constructive criticism so it's the golden rule that motivates my comments.

I'm trying to leave more comments, because I love getting comments on my stories.

It's a new author with some promise. Encouragement early is almost always helpful, and the Right Thing to Do in my book.
Man.. if I got a comment as long as your response that would make my week. šŸ˜€

I agree completely with the quoted text here. In theory I really like the spirit that I see others share about encouraging others and helping fellow writers.

Practice has been a different experience so far but I remain optimistic.

Last edited:
I will always give a star rating to stories that I finish reading.
I tend to only comment to compliment the author.
I don't see my role on here as a critic but as someone looking for feedback and constructive criticism so it's the golden rule that motivates my comments.

Well said. Unless someone asks me for details or a critique, I leave my comments positive and I leave a comment, even if it's a short one on every story I finish. They made the effort and put themselves out there, it's the least I can do.

I've been reading stories here for a long time and never commented. I also never created a real account until recently when I decided to post my own story. I think my main reason for not commenting was that I was in my fantasy world when reading a story and I have some kinks that I thought were niche and, frankly, embarrassing. Even when anonymous, I was afraid that someone would somehow find out I was a weird freak.

I've been learning that there are an awful lot of us freaks, maybe everyone? I will definitely be leaving more comments in the future! Sorry for being late to the party.

Last edited:
I've been reading stories here for a long time and never commented. I also never created a real account until recently when I decided to post my own story. I think my main reason for not commenting was that I was in my fantasy world when reading a story and I have some kinks that I thought were niche and, frankly, embarrassing. Even when anonymous, I was afraid that someone would somehow find out I was a weird freak.

I've been learning that there an awful lot of us freaks, maybe everyone? I will definitely be leaving more comments in the future! Sorry for being late to the party.

I appreciate the candor. That is one thing that keeps me coming back here, is understanding that I am in an environment of equally sexually creative folk who in the very least can be understanding. Let us unite and encourage each other!

Last edited:
I leave a comment whenever I can, usually when I am able to think of something to say. Sometimes there are stories I read that are great, but at the same time I couldn't think of something important enough to make a comment about it. But I do leave a rating so at least I show how much I liked it. I think a lot of people feel that way. No commenting doesn't mean they don't like your story, it's just some people can't think of anything to say.

But look at it this way, it's better to see no comments, or lack of them, than having a series of bad comments. I try to avoid making a negative comment, even with stories I don't like. But personally, they would have to be particularly bad for me to leave a negative comment. Some people would get great joy to express how bad they hate something and loving the anonymity they have to express it so freely.

Instead of whining and complaining that my latest story has received zero comments despite the warm score reception, I like to ask instead:

For those of you that DO leave comments: What motivates you to leave a comment? Do you focus on the technical, the overall experience, the constructive critique?

For those of you who DON'T usually leave comments: First of all no hate your way (please people, maybe we can learn something) - what would help turn that around? Is there any reason (experienced or heresay) that would keep you from commenting? For example, someone once told me that they didn't leave comments so that others wouldn't be able to see what he was reading and judge him for it. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your replies (now watch this get no replies - šŸ˜‚)
I like to leave comments. I generally include why I gave it the score I did. I do not discount for small grammatical or spelling mistakes UNLESS they are atrocious. One thing that bothers me is the switching from first to third person narrative. I find it sloppy and hard to read. The same with long dialog without knowing who is talking. The author might know but not the reader.

Mostly I look at the plot. If there are stupid plot holes, i say something. I found those comments early on helped my own writing. Think through what your characters are doing. How plausible is the action based on the world you present.
By that I mean there has to be a suspension of belief, but if you have like one story I read, an eighteen year old who barely graduates high school and in a short 7 years is a combination Rambo, James Bond, Captain America who runs a billion dollar security firm who contracts out to the CIA for jobs they are not equipped to do, then I call bullshit. It reads like a fourteen year old's fantasy.

I would gladly trade every 5 star vote for a few words that told me how my story was received.
Scoring and comments go hand in hand. I love to see people offer a reason for their score. If I missed the boat, tell me. If I missed obvious plot holes, I want to know for the next time.

It goes back to another question BgDaddy asked about looking at scoring and or comments before reading. I certainly am guilty of that. I generally read only stories that have better than a 3.5 score. There is only so much time in a day. That may be altered if i know the author and wonder why an unusually low score. Then I glance at a few of the comments. i ignore those that say 'story is crap' without a reason. That makes me immediately at least skim and often go back and read the story.

But look at it this way, it's better to see no comments, or lack of them, than having a series of bad comments.

I dunno.. if someone is going to bomb me with a one star score, I'd like to know what in my writing brought that on.

Overall though, the percentage of comments is so low, that if someone wanted to use this to encourage one's self to improve on their writing (ahem.. *points to self*) through the informal feedback and occasional pointer, this wouldn't do it.

I had fun writing my stories, but I am very discouraged to continue.

I don't think anyone has mentioned one of the obvious reasons that erotica doesn't always get many comments or reviews. Unlikewith most artforms, once they complete it people have a tendency to be entirely sated, possibly ashamed, and are very likely to want to move on pretty promptly. Maybe to make sandwich, maybe suddenly remembering all the work they should have been doing.

I'm just saying...

Anyway. As an author I agree with @yowser's comment above; its dicey for us to be really honest to another writer in public. In private is different. Another point is unless the author has explicitly said in the intro or their bio what kind of feedback they want its hard to know what it helpful. Do they just want positive encouragement? Or a real critique? I, for example, would be flattered to take eye-wateringly detailed and unflattering tear-downs. That's because I'm hear to practice. But if I were using this as a way of sharing intimate fantasies I might want something very different.

I dunno.. if someone is going to bomb me with a one star score, I'd like to know what in my writing brought that on.

Overall though, the percentage of comments is so low, that if someone wanted to use this to encourage one's self to improve on their writing (ahem.. *points to self*) through the informal feedback and occasional pointer, this wouldn't do it.

I had fun writing my stories, but I am very discouraged to continue.
Your scores are very high, so why are you so discouraged? I'd be elated to get your scores, and couldn't wait to get my next story published. I partly blame the trend where everybody is almost 24/7 on their I-phones, too busy to have a real conversation. So who then has time to actually write a review(no need to answer that one)? Since you write a lot of non-consent, I'll be reading a few of yours. RT

Your scores are very high, so why are you so discouraged? I'd be elated to get your scores, and couldn't wait to get my next story published. I partly blame the trend where everybody is almost 24/7 on their I-phones, too busy to have a real conversation. So who then has time to actually write a review(no need to answer that one)? Since you write a lot of non-consent, I'll be reading a few of yours. RT
I suppose the scores don't really speak to me much..

Don't get me wrong, they are appreciated and it was fun chasing that little red H, but then I saw a number of votes get erased (perhaps duplicates? Someone trying to help/hurt?) And seeing how much a single 1 star vote can hurt you early on was sobering.

I was/am really looking forward to seeing more comments. I got some useful feedback both in the comments and in the forum in the beginning and that fueled the creative juices for new parts. But to see such little action.. that's just discouraging.

It's understandable given how large the depository is. The odds are not in our favor. So I what I was asking here, for those of you that leave comments, is: what aspects of the story, the setup, the notes inspire you to take a few seconds/minutes to leave a comment instead of just moving on to the next story. Looking to see if there is something I can improve on in my presentation, while trying to understand the dynamics of the readers here.

I suppose the scores don't really speak to me much..

Don't get me wrong, they are appreciated and it was fun chasing that little red H, but then I saw a number of votes get erased (perhaps duplicates? Someone trying to help/hurt?) And seeing how much a single 1 star vote can hurt you early on was sobering.

I was/am really looking forward to seeing more comments. I got some useful feedback both in the comments and in the forum in the beginning and that fueled the creative juices for new parts. But to see such little action.. that's just discouraging.

It's understandable given how large the depository is. The odds are not in our favor. So I what I was asking here, for those of you that leave comments, is: what aspects of the story, the setup, the notes inspire you to take a few seconds/minutes to leave a comment instead of just moving on to the next story. Looking to see if there is something I can improve on in my presentation, while trying to understand the dynamics of the readers here.
Ok, I read the first two chapters, and was kind of surprised that you were disappointed with 'only' 28 comments on the first chapter and 11 on the second. They were very good by the way.

Ok, I read the first two chapters, and was kind of surprised that you were disappointed with 'only' 28 comments on the first chapter and 11 on the second. They were very good by the way.

Definitely not disappointed by the 28. That was highly encouraging, especially how quickly those accumulated.

But from 28 to 11 was a head scratcher. Still, part two was a really short transition chapter so I understood.

But only 1 on the most recent story makes me assume I'm doing something wrong?

Just looking to learn from more experienced members. Make sure I am not inadvertently doing something to discourage feedback?

Thank you BTW :D
My experience with a couple multi-chapter stories was a 40-50% drop-off in views for each chapter. +/-10%. It's also not unusual for the scores to improve slightly with each chapter, since returning readers probably liked what they've read so far.

I probably fall in to the category of not leaving comments for the reason you said in your original post, as at different times Iā€™ll read different genres and that can then affect whether some people will even chat. Another reason is sometimes after reading a story you want to read another, and not want to lose the mood by writing comments, but if Iā€™ve enjoyed a story Iā€™ll usually star it

I leave a comment on any story I've enjoyed. If it's a first time author I always encourage them to keep writing, especially if I think they've got talent.

I know I like to receive comments, so I think it's only fair that I take a moment to remark on another author's work.

@lovecraft68 , @joy_of_cooking , @AG31 , @seraph_nocturne , @lavendersilk , @Rob_Royale , @ElectricBlue , @K1tten92 , @forgotmyantidepressants , @RelentlessOnanism , @AshCardiff , @yowser , @rebelxcarpenter , @ph7000 , @genzsub , @DanDraper , @Gamblnluck , @Mogrem , @RoperTrace , @spiderwal , @Smuttyandfun

First of all thank you all for engaging and answering!

Do you think the scoring process gets in the way of people leaving comments? Makes it too easy for someone to choose one or the other instead of both?
Do you think the website could do anything to encourage feedback more? (ex: show the names of commenters only to the author in case they want to reply, but leave them out of public view...)

Do you think the scoring process gets in the way of people leaving comments? Makes it too easy for someone to choose one or the other instead of both?
Do you think the website could do anything to encourage feedback more? (ex: show the names of commenters only to the author in case they want to reply, but leave them out of public view...)
I honestly don't think it could do better. There is already the ability, if the author wants, to allow anonymous comments, and users can also just send direct feedback through an email. That system protects the author from disclosing their email if they don't want to reply and allows readers to leave off their email as well.

I don't think the rating system discourages comments even if there is a small group that might leave a comment but choose to just rate instead. If the rating system weren't there, we might get a couple more comments, but not a lot more and I still value the larger sample set of the ratings. That said, the ratings system is open to rating trolls, but I have no idea how to combat that.

I honestly don't think it could do better. There is already the ability, if the author wants, to allow anonymous comments, and users can also just send direct feedback through an email. That system protects the author from disclosing their email if they don't want to reply and allows readers to leave off their email as well.

I don't think the rating system discourages comments even if there is a small group that might leave a comment but choose to just rate instead. If the rating system weren't there, we might get a couple more comments, but not a lot more and I still value the larger sample set of the ratings. That said, the ratings system is open to rating trolls, but I have no idea how to combat that.
I have to agree with you, and unfortunately with all the social media on phones, etc. it may decline further. I've enjoyed several emailed comments over the years and have kept every one of them. That takes extra effort. I've done it myself a few times, but not often.

Back