Stella_Omega
No Gentleman
- Joined
- Jul 14, 2005
- Posts
- 39,700
Here's the retrieval-- kinda bare bones yet;Excerpt?
The story I linked is kind of like that too.![]()
“Oh dammit, I forgot! The main reason we came over here!”
Astro pulled to the curb. “You want to turn around?”
Lenore’s hennaed hair swung in an arc around her head as she turned. “Oh, god, Sweetie, I’m sorry to put you through all of this.” Behind them, the back seat was full of boxes, rattling and clinking musically, that Lenore had retrieved from her sister’s garage. or rather, that Astro had scavenged, clambering over shrouded furniture, ducking ancient cobwebs, pulling half-disintegrated cardboard boxes off high shelves and out of the centers of stacks.
“It’s better to go back while we're here,” Astro said. She watched in the rear veiw mirror while the heavy traffic streamed past. She gunned the SUV, and pulled it smoothly around, from the curb to the opposite side, melding perfectly into a gap in the north-bound traffic. “What, and where?”
“There’s my brass lion bookends, Dinnie said she’s been using them on her desk. And this beautiful old mirror. You know the breakfront in the dining room? That came from old family friends, when the mother passed away. Her kids were selling the estate. I bought the breakfront, and this mirror was in the same room. I think it’s Biedermier… “
“Uh huh,” Astro said absently as she pulled into the driveway once more. Now that Dinnie’s car was in place, the SUV perforce halted at a point where there was a great deal of overgrowth on the right. “I’ll go get them,” Astro said hurredly, and fought her way to the front walk.
“What did she forget?” Dinnie said in answer to Astro’s knock. But her face lost its smile when Astro named the brass lions. “Fine,” Dinnie said, and led the way to her study...

