Characterization through Objects / Possessions

What does this mean?

BTW, it's also the reason Stephen Kings protagonists are typically walking cliches of social victimhood, it resonates with his audience, everybody has gotten picked on by a bully at some point, and many of his stories are little more than elaborate revenge fantasies.

It works on a subconscious level.

WHAT DOES WHAT MEAN?

Yep. Almost all of King's protagonists are life's losers wantimg comeuppance. In Transactional Terms we call them STAMP COLLECTORS. When they get enough stamps they can redeem them for a guilt-free homicide or whatever.
 
I recently had a conversation about characterizing people based on the car they own. So I decided to start a thread about showing or developing a character's personality / image through material possessions or objects.

Please post thoughts or examples. Discuss.

If there was a thumbs up icon on here? I'd give it, Dampy and threefold :kiss:. I love discussing semiotics (a big word for some, I know). As authors, the choices we make for the objects surrounding our characters (mise-en-scene) are as telling as what we do not write. If, for example, I write, "It´s a small livingroom. There's a blue jean stain on the left side of the white loveseat, books lining the shelves and there´s a table for four, the wood chairs seated with puffy, pristine white pillows." What does it tell you about the person living there? It's telling of a lonely person who has never had any guests. However, descriptions are as much about what's included as about what is omitted.

In this description (as brief and lame as it is) I left out plants, animals and life in general. What an author does not describe can be as symbolically important as what he/she includes in a description.
 
I only saw it on TV, and I missed some parts, I technically ought to get it, it's probably less obscure than Bill Murray or the McKenzie brothers in this day and age, eh?
 
If there was a thumbs up icon on here? I'd give it, Dampy and threefold :kiss:. I love discussing semiotics (a big word for some, I know). As authors, the choices we make for the objects surrounding our characters (mise-en-scene) are as telling as what we do not write. If, for example, I write, "It´s a small livingroom. There's a blue jean stain on the left side of the white loveseat, books lining the shelves and there´s a table for four, the wood chairs seated with puffy, pristine white pillows." What does it tell you about the person living there? It's telling of a lonely person who has never had any guests. However, descriptions are as much about what's included as about what is omitted.

In this description (as brief and lame as it is) I left out plants, animals and life in general. What an author does not describe can be as symbolically important as what he/she includes in a description.
There would be a dead or dying houseplant in there for me, fer sure.

My bed is usually covered with books, lol.
 
Do the references travel?

Many of the suggestions in this thread would mean nothing at all in the United Kingdom, or if they do, they mean something very different.

For examples: 1. The Confederate Flag prominently displayed has several meanings in the US. In the UK it can be a sign of a racist; the sign of someone who likes Country and Western; the sign of someone into battle reenactments; or the sign of someone who has absolutely no idea of the flag's meaning and history...

2. A very large SUV seems to mean "Beware - harrassed Mom driving" OR "I've got more money than sense" OR if mud-spattered and hard-used "I live out in the country and the roads are shit". According to one of our car pundits you shouldn't drive a large 4WD vehicle unless you are wearing a skirt.

In France or Germany, references to objects or possessions might mean something completely different from the UK. Even music references alter. In the UK a Brass Band is military or has associations with heavy industries such as coal mining and steel making. In France it can indicate Civic Pride that overrates a small community. In Southern Germany it can be a sign of extreme right-wing and even Neo-Nazi feelings.

Characterisation by association doesn't travel well.

Og

PS. If the room contained a potted Aspidistra in blooming health - what association would that have for you?
 
I'm very big on premise, for me it's the hardest part of the story, i.e., I know what to do after the characters get into bed, but no idea how to get them there to start with, or for that matter, what to do with them afterwards - a lot like my life actually.

As a contemporary thing, I've played with using the computer as a device: communication devices are very much a central part of our culture now, cell phones, computers, etc.

i.e., there's a lot of things you could do with cellphones, cybering, etc., it doesn't work as well from a visual standpoint, not enough action, but I expect I'll try to work it in there somewhere.

It's a clean way of getting characters to interact, which is a departure from the topic, but I think people identify with their cellphones more than they do their cars these days, they represent social networks, and as such, are as much status symbols as cars or houses.

I imagine all sorts of complicated social situations based on who you have on your speed dial, ala Seinfeld.

It has a lot of potential as a device, a girl stumbles on her boyfriend calling 1-900 numbers or a husband discovers his wife is cybering.

Not Pulitzer stuff, but better than your average porn movie.

"Hi"

"Hi, gee you sure have a big dick".

"Slurb, slurb, slurb".
 
There would be a dead or dying houseplant in there for me, fer sure.

I think you may have meant 'fir' sure. :D
:kiss: I am talking character. As others have said, the sort of car a character drives is telling (even as a suspense tactic). A man might drive a mini rather than a hummer. Cars pitted against one another, who has the bigger cock?
 
:kiss: I am talking character. As others have said, the sort of car a character drives is telling (even as a suspense tactic). A man might drive a mini rather than a hummer. Cars pitted against one another, who has the bigger cock?
A dead houseplant is a symbol/metaphor for a dead heart - life departed, an absence of love - it's a very basic symbol - in the end, the plant revives and blossoms, I've seen it in a hundred movies, it was employed in Coraline, which I watched the other day.

Sometimes employed as a metaphor for feminine sexuality as well, the blossoming flower representing the engorgement of the Vulva.

There's a Volkswagon commercial where the people resemble their cars - so, sure it can reinforce a particular impression of a character, the rugged type (Hummer), vs. the introvert (beat up Volvo or ancient sedan), or the hipster (mini), as opposed to forming what amounts to a relationship; i.e., a Ménage à trois between a woman, a man and his automobile - a Jaguar which he lavishes attention upon while ignoring her for example.
 
I'm working on a scene right now, where one woman is unpacking some retrieved belongings in front of her new girlfriend-- and the new girlfriend is learning more about the woman than the woman realises.
There's conversation about how she got this item or that, and how jealous her sister was about it, all that kind of stuff.
 
A dead houseplant is a symbol/metaphor for a dead heart - life departed, an absence of love - it's a very basic symbol - in the end, the plant revives and blossoms, I've seen it in a hundred movies, it was employed in Coraline, which I watched the other day.

Sometimes employed as a metaphor for feminine sexuality as well, the blossoming flower representing the engorgement of the Vulva.

There's a Volkswagon commercial where the people resemble their cars - so, sure it can reinforce a particular impression of a character, the rugged type (Hummer), vs. the introvert (beat up Volvo or ancient sedan), or the hipster (mini), as opposed to forming what amounts to a relationship; i.e., a Ménage à trois between a woman, a man and his automobile - a Jaguar which he lavishes attention upon while ignoring her for example.

Archetypes and symbols, even stereotypes are basic to human understanding across cultures. I ADORE THEM.
 
Archetypes and symbols, even stereotypes are basic to human understanding across cultures. I ADORE THEM.
I'm doing graphic storytelling (comics), so there is naturally a lot more emphasis on visual semiotic.
 
Many of the suggestions in this thread would mean nothing at all in the United Kingdom, or if they do, they mean something very different.

For examples: 1. The Confederate Flag prominently displayed has several meanings in the US. In the UK it can be a sign of a racist; the sign of someone who likes Country and Western; the sign of someone into battle reenactments; or the sign of someone who has absolutely no idea of the flag's meaning and history...

2. A very large SUV seems to mean "Beware - harrassed Mom driving" OR "I've got more money than sense" OR if mud-spattered and hard-used "I live out in the country and the roads are shit". According to one of our car pundits you shouldn't drive a large 4WD vehicle unless you are wearing a skirt.

In France or Germany, references to objects or possessions might mean something completely different from the UK. Even music references alter. In the UK a Brass Band is military or has associations with heavy industries such as coal mining and steel making. In France it can indicate Civic Pride that overrates a small community. In Southern Germany it can be a sign of extreme right-wing and even Neo-Nazi feelings.

Characterisation by association doesn't travel well.

Og

PS. If the room contained a potted Aspidistra in blooming health - what association would that have for you?

Hi Ogg. Interesting post. :D :kiss:
 
Many of the suggestions in this thread would mean nothing at all in the United Kingdom, or if they do, they mean something very different.

For examples: 1. The Confederate Flag prominently displayed has several meanings in the US. In the UK it can be a sign of a racist; the sign of someone who likes Country and Western; the sign of someone into battle reenactments; or the sign of someone who has absolutely no idea of the flag's meaning and history...

2. A very large SUV seems to mean "Beware - harrassed Mom driving" OR "I've got more money than sense" OR if mud-spattered and hard-used "I live out in the country and the roads are shit". According to one of our car pundits you shouldn't drive a large 4WD vehicle unless you are wearing a skirt.

In France or Germany, references to objects or possessions might mean something completely different from the UK. Even music references alter. In the UK a Brass Band is military or has associations with heavy industries such as coal mining and steel making. In France it can indicate Civic Pride that overrates a small community. In Southern Germany it can be a sign of extreme right-wing and even Neo-Nazi feelings.

Characterisation by association doesn't travel well.

Og

PS. If the room contained a potted Aspidistra in blooming health - what association would that have for you?

That is where I going in the tangety bit that I decided not to post. :rose:

There is (to me at least) a tangible difference between "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" and "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone". They did not just change the title, there were some other changes that were minor in themselves (just a word, or turn of phrase here and there) but overall, changed the tone and flavor of the book. I have found later that I prefer it when publishers do not take such cosmetic adjustments when they publish in the same language in another region.

Or as another example, in some areas of the US, people who do not have a drivers license and do not own a car are somewhat odd. Adult bus commuters were frequently seen as low budget or poor or too something (infirm, dim, nervous, old) to drive. From what I have heard, that is changing somewhat with the Green movement that is going on. But in other areas of the world people go their whole lives without ever getting a car or a license. They travel the world, go all over their countries, with no stigma attached to being car-less.

And then you have the issue of the way languages evolve over time. A character wearing purple in Medieval Europe was usually somewhat royal. A character wearing purple in the US during the Gay Civil Rights movements was probably a member of the Lavender Menace and was gay. A person wearing a purple tiara right here and now probably has no significance aside from the fact that she really likes the color and was given a purple tiara during the NaNo last November. :D
 
Last edited:
PS. If the room contained a potted Aspidistra in blooming health - what association would that have for you?
Missed the PS, general point taken however - do you guys have strip malls? Drive in's?

Aspidistra elatior ("cast-iron plant") is a popular foliage houseplant, grown for its ability to survive neglect and very shady indoor conditions. In George Orwell's novel Keep the Aspidistra Flying, the plant symbolizes the bourgeois way of living and the main character's rejection of it in favor of art and poetry. After neglecting it for several years and failing as an artist (all while attempting to kill the aspidistra that was part of the furnishings of his apartment), he gets his girlfriend pregnant and accepts his old job at an advertising agency, thus embracing his bourgeois essence. Several other species and cultivars are also in cultivation.
I had to look it up, I'm an Orwell fan and I never even heard of that one. I need to get one of those.
 
Do you have any work on Lit ? Interested in viewing. :cool::heart:
Some older stuff in the Visual artists corner: here ya go.

My scanner is down, I've gotten better, in my estimation anyway, but my old computer crashed, needs a power supply, and the new one doesn't have an ISA slot for the SCSI that runs my scanner, so I don't have anything newer. Working on it though.

I've been looking for writers interested in the medium, it's more akin to scriptwriting than prose in most respects, but there are some unique restrictions and limits since it inhabits a Grey area somewhere between literature and film, which means that some stories are easier to adapt from prose than others.
 
If the room contained a potted Aspidistra in blooming health - what association would that have for you?

I would obviously be in the wrong house. All sorts of merriment and mayhem might ensue.
 
Aspidistra

Apart from George Orwell, the imagery of an Aspidistra is Victorian fussiness, maiden aunts, antimaccassars and antiquated manners...

A well-kept Aspidistra would be symptomatic of an overfurnished fastidious and ordered life (and Literotica wouldn't have been heard of, let alone viewed).

Og
 
Apart from George Orwell, the imagery of an Aspidistra is Victorian fussiness, maiden aunts, antimaccassars and antiquated manners...

A well-kept Aspidistra would be symptomatic of an overfurnished fastidious and ordered life (and Literotica wouldn't have been heard of, let alone viewed).

Og
Right, bourgeois - I would have to have mine next to a cannibis Sativa or a Humulus - being a bohemian with Bourgeois tastes, or a bourgeois with Bohemian appetites - one of the two, I can never decide.
 
Many of the suggestions in this thread would mean nothing at all in the United Kingdom, or if they do, they mean something very different.

For examples: 1. The Confederate Flag prominently displayed has several meanings in the US. In the UK it can be a sign of a racist; the sign of someone who likes Country and Western; the sign of someone into battle reenactments; or the sign of someone who has absolutely no idea of the flag's meaning and history...

2. A very large SUV seems to mean "Beware - harrassed Mom driving" OR "I've got more money than sense" OR if mud-spattered and hard-used "I live out in the country and the roads are shit". According to one of our car pundits you shouldn't drive a large 4WD vehicle unless you are wearing a skirt.

In France or Germany, references to objects or possessions might mean something completely different from the UK. Even music references alter. In the UK a Brass Band is military or has associations with heavy industries such as coal mining and steel making. In France it can indicate Civic Pride that overrates a small community. In Southern Germany it can be a sign of extreme right-wing and even Neo-Nazi feelings.

Characterisation by association doesn't travel well.

Og

PS. If the room contained a potted Aspidistra in blooming health - what association would that have for you?
Some symbols are universal and some aren't. That's exactly what I mean. It's hit and miss depending on who is on the same wavelength as you, the author. And isn't that the whole point? You are not writing for every person out there. You are making some choices about your audience and this narrows it down a bit more I guess.

But for me, as a reader, stories where this tactic is employed have repeat value because I see new things when I re-read.
 
I'm working on a scene right now, where one woman is unpacking some retrieved belongings in front of her new girlfriend-- and the new girlfriend is learning more about the woman than the woman realises.
There's conversation about how she got this item or that, and how jealous her sister was about it, all that kind of stuff.
Excerpt?

The story I linked is kind of like that too. :)
 
Back
Top