Characterization through Objects / Possessions

damppanties

Tinkle, twinkle
Joined
May 7, 2002
Posts
16,276
I recently had a conversation about characterizing people based on the car they own. So I decided to start a thread about showing or developing a character's personality / image through material possessions or objects.

Please post thoughts or examples. Discuss.
 
I'll start.

From Her Light.

She opened the box, unlocking it with its tiny key and carefully took out the letters. They were colourful, written on flirty stationery, bound with a red ribbon. Full of life, just as she had been. In contrast, her own letters to her lover were starkly black and white.​
 
If I were to describe my character through a possession tendency, it would be that I have...bowls of rocks.

Some of them are gems, precious or semi precious, crystals and stones. Some are just bowls of rocks. Pretty or average stones picked up at the beach, on a walk. My son, daughter and husband bring them to me and I pick them up for myself.

I also have baskets of leaves.

So that would be a specific thing to me that would tell you something about my character, that may be specifically mine, but you could probably draw something from that. That I value the ordinary when it's given as a gift, or that I easily attach sentiment and meaning to natural items like stone, feather, wood, shells or leaves.

In a negative sense you could use it to convey poor decorating taste and very little originality in terms of trend or interior design.
 
I recently had a conversation about characterizing people based on the car they own. So I decided to start a thread about showing or developing a character's personality / image through material possessions or objects.

Please post thoughts or examples. Discuss.
I think clothes are a great way to illustrate a character's personality, social status, income, attitude, etc. You don't even really need to use name brands, but saying a woman is wearing jeans and a t-shirt paints a completely different picture than saying a woman is wearing a power suit and heels. Even if she's out of her element, the clothes can dictate who she is sometimes.
 
I think clothes are a great way to illustrate a character's personality, social status, income, attitude, etc. You don't even really need to use name brands, but saying a woman is wearing jeans and a t-shirt paints a completely different picture than saying a woman is wearing a power suit and heels. Even if she's out of her element, the clothes can dictate who she is sometimes.

Clothes are a great example. They can just as easily reflect who someone wants to be, do NOT want to be or want to be perceived as it could be a reflection of who they are.
 
If I were to describe my character through a possession tendency, it would be that I have...bowls of rocks.
God, that's an interesting post but not what I was referring to, I think.

The conversation I was having ran like this...

Research shows that the two largest groups of people who own Subarus are lesbians or academicians. Therefore, owning a Subaru coloured you in a specific way in the eyes of whoever chose to see Subaru owners as... a group.

Now how do we as writers use that in our stories?
 
God, that's an interesting post but not what I was referring to, I think.

The conversation I was having ran like this...

Research shows that the two largest groups of people who own Subarus are lesbians or academicians. Therefore, owning a Subaru coloured you in a specific way in the eyes of whoever chose to see Subaru owners as... a group.

Now how do we as writers use that in our stories?

If I were writing about it, I'd have to work in that theory so my readers knew that was my theory and probably allude to the research, the character reading about it or believing in it or thinking it's bull or whatever. Some context.

See, me, I don't know anything about Subaru owners, so it dosen't mean anything to me.

For me, I don't recognize symbols like this, so a character has to explain themselves or I'm lost and I'm out of the loop.

Start talking about shoes as if they mean something other than "shoe" and I'm lost entirely. I don't care about shoes. So someone has to educate me in a engaging way about what shoes mean to them, or to the character.

I think it has to be treated as subjective and explained that way.

I get lost by authors who base their judgments on people differently than I do, the sort of thing that says "His shoes were worn, thus indicating ________"

To the author or the character, worn shoes might mean something. To me, they mean "worn shoes" if I even bother to look at them, which I probably wouldn't.

So you could choose to believe your readers are hip to the Subaru thing and it's an Easter Egg, or you can explain it and it's in plain sight. It's valid either way, I think.
 
If I were writing about it, I'd have to work in that theory so my readers knew that was my theory and probably allude to the research, the character reading about it or believing in it or thinking it's bull or whatever. Some context.

See, me, I don't know anything about Subaru owners, so it dosen't mean anything to me.

For me, I don't recognize symbols like this, so a character has to explain themselves or I'm lost and I'm out of the loop.

Start talking about shoes as if they mean something other than "shoe" and I'm lost entirely. I don't care about shoes. So someone has to educate me in a engaging way about what shoes mean to them, or to the character.

I think it has to be treated as subjective and explained that way.

I get lost by authors who base their judgments on people differently than I do, the sort of thing that says "His shoes were worn, thus indicating ________"

To the author or the character, worn shoes might mean something. To me, they mean "worn shoes" if I even bother to look at them, which I probably wouldn't.

So you could choose to believe your readers are hip to the Subaru thing and it's an Easter Egg, or you can explain it and it's in plain sight. It's valid either way, I think.
I am talking about the Easter Egg, yes. I am sure not everyone knows about the Subaru research. If you explain it, it loses it's appeal in a way. People who 'get' it, do. People who don't, just miss that bit of characterization and hopefully catch something else that is more obvious. Or not. It all depends on how you're writing your stories and what or how much you want to show.

From what little I know of you, I think the gaming community is something you know about if not shoes and Subaru's. I would think playing a particular game would have a certain significance attached to it, or being at a certain level (see, I am floundering here but you know what I mean, right?) People who get your reference will have a slightly different, perhaps deeper understanding of your character than people who don't get it.

I like to think of it as layers of disclosing a character to the audience. Some get through to layer 2 and some to layer 12.
 
Yes, your car is half your personality they say - A pickup is usually beer and football, maybe a doob. One imagines more or less friendly gropings in the dark with the girl next door - but a lot depends on the size of the wheels - it's a form of exhibitionism one imagines likely extends to the bedroom.

Sports cars are cocaine and music on a hi-fi - or I suppose an iPod and some elaborate docking station these days. Again, a flamboyant automobile usually signals a certain degree of exhibitionism, skinny, pretty girls with perfect hair and too much makeup, they wear frilly lingerie and they're very passive in bed, Cheerleaders and debs, daddy's little girl.

That impression is surely an artifact from the Seventies, Camero's and Gold chains - the tribal insignia of a swinger. I think they're playuh's or something these days, and the chicks are a lot tougher.

A bicycle? Haha, looos-er.

Naturally, I ride a bicycle.

Upscale, are SUV's and German cars, yuppie transpo, and they reflect the previous basic types with the usual modifications - older, educated, more money, less sex, food figures more prominently, music less, and they drink imports.

Anyway, that's a rough breakdown of my general impressions, pretty dull stuff, motorcycles might be more interesting.
 
I think clothes are a great way to illustrate a character's personality, social status, income, attitude, etc. You don't even really need to use name brands, but saying a woman is wearing jeans and a t-shirt paints a completely different picture than saying a woman is wearing a power suit and heels. Even if she's out of her element, the clothes can dictate who she is sometimes.

Yep, exactly. Clothes can be a reflection of a person or a mindset at a particular time.
 
Yes, your car is half your personality they say - A pickup is usually beer and football, maybe a doob. One imagines more or less friendly gropings in the dark with the girl next door - but a lot depends on the size of the wheels - it's a form of exhibitionism one imagines likely extends to the bedroom.

Sports cars are cocaine and music on a hi-fi - or I suppose an iPod and some elaborate docking station these days. Again, a flamboyant automobile usually signals a certain degree of exhibitionism, skinny, pretty girls with perfect hair and too much makeup, they wear frilly lingerie and they're very passive in bed, Cheerleaders and debs, daddy's little girl.

That impression is surely an artifact from the Seventies, Camero's and Gold chains - the tribal insignia of a swinger. I think they're playuh's or something these days, and the chicks are a lot tougher.

A bicycle? Haha, looos-er.

Naturally, I ride a bicycle.

Upscale, are SUV's and German cars, yuppie transpo, and they reflect the previous basic types with the usual modifications - older, educated, more money, less sex, food figures more prominently, music less, and they drink imports.

Anyway, that's a rough breakdown of my general impressions, pretty dull stuff, motorcycles might be more interesting.
I am looking to buy a bicycle and have a fascination for motorcycles. :rolleyes:

Bicycle associations: going green, health / exercise, a more basic machine, wind in your hair / freedom, not as safe as a car.
 
I am talking about the Easter Egg, yes. I am sure not everyone knows about the Subaru research. If you explain it, it loses it's appeal in a way. People who 'get' it, do. People who don't, just miss that bit of characterization and hopefully catch something else that is more obvious. Or not. It all depends on how you're writing your stories and what or how much you want to show.

From what little I know of you, I think the gaming community is something you know about if not shoes and Subaru's. I would think playing a particular game would have a certain significance attached to it, or being at a certain level (see, I am floundering here but you know what I mean, right?) People who get your reference will have a slightly different, perhaps deeper understanding of your character than people who don't get it.

I like to think of it as layers of disclosing a character to the audience. Some get through to layer 2 and some to layer 12.

I do get it. Writing with a postmodern viewpoint means you can do that without guilt. CSI uses absolutely no explanation except a beat when using lab equipment. Years ago any show would have been unwilling to introduce really complicated things without exposition, but now it's common. Audience loves it because that's their expectation. CSI will also drop totally bizarre things expected to not be common knowledge in anecdote form. So that show can utilize both postmodern and exposition elements as appropriate.

I think objects are a great way to reinforce or defy context, and as long as each layer is engaging, it's got its place in there.

You can engage with informing and engage in leaving it unspoken, and make those choices with your layers individually.

Just like CSI probably explains "mitochondrial DNA" once back in season three and the audience is expected to not have to sit through an explanation of it each episode it comes up.

Lots of readerships now are perfectly happy to hunt for their own Easter Eggs and get a little validation when they "get" the reference.

I think if you use the Easter Egg and the Purloined Letter and the Freebie in context, they're all valid and there's no reason to stick to one.
 
Pickups mean beer and football? How about a pickup with a lumber rack on top and a toolbox next to the cab? What if it has a Labrador leashed to the tool box? Such narrow visions, people, and therein lies the fallacy of literary analysis!
 
Lotta babes go for the motorcycles - my mom won't let me have one. :(

I drive a very basic GMC pickup with a camper shell, dented to hell and dirty as fuck, I don't identify with it, it's a work truck although I like it better than any other truck I've ever owned.

I used to drive a '65 Mustang, back in the day, followed by a '66 - I identified with those cars, although I beat them to hell too, hotrodding them around.

If I owned a dune buggy, I would sure get myself killed.
 
Pickups mean beer and football? How about a pickup with a lumber rack on top and a toolbox next to the cab? What if it has a Labrador leashed to the tool box? Such narrow visions, people, and therein lies the fallacy of literary analysis!
It's just an impression, not a statistical analysis.

Oh, and a pickup with a lumber rack on top and a toolbox next to the cab, a Labrador leashed to the tool box? Blue collar conservative, sounds like a carpenter, maybe a rancher or a farmer - wears flannel, cut's his own wood.

Perhaps you don't live in the West, these things are like uniforms.
 
Pickups mean beer and football? How about a pickup with a lumber rack on top and a toolbox next to the cab? What if it has a Labrador leashed to the tool box? Such narrow visions, people, and therein lies the fallacy of literary analysis!

That's why I think it's valid to use these symbols to defy each other.

A woman in an Armani power suit steps out of the cab...
 
Such a truck sounds like about half the town here. I'm sure they all have their stories, one does argue from the general to the specific I believe.

The year makes a difference too, people who work a lot or are in the field tend to drive their vehicles longer, mid price cars for the middle class, thus, older model automobiles. People with 9 to 5's, White collar professionals, etc, update more often, the Nob Hill crowd buys a new car every year, used to be a Cadillac or a Lincoln, some big sedan, now it's usually a BMW if they're conservative, a Saab if they're a liberal, although liberals tend to keep them longer.

SUV's and pickups are a little trickier since everybody drives them here - conservatives tend towards newer and bigger ones, Fords, GMC's, Dodges, etc., liberals tend towards rice burners, and they tend to be older, and actually used offroad a lot more, bike and kayak racks, etc.

Conservatives tend not to take their Trucks offroad, if they work in the Oilfield, they drive company trucks.

Bumper stickers can usually confirm, liberals and bible thumpers love their bumper stickers.
 
It's just an impression, not a statistical analysis.

Oh, and a pickup with a lumber rack on top and a toolbox next to the cab, a Labrador leashed to the tool box? Blue collar conservative, sounds like a carpenter, maybe a rancher or a farmer - wears flannel, cut's his own wood.

Perhaps you don't live in the West, these things are like uniforms.

Heck, yes, I do. Everybody in the country lives 'back East' from where I sit. And mom's from Montana. Definitely a man in the 'trades', I agree. Heck, the cub's in training to become a high end version of just that, though I'm not sure he'll get a Lab. More a cat person because he was raised by a stern ol' mommy calico. Long story . . .
 
liberals tend towards rice burners, and they tend to be older, and actually used offroad a lot more, bike and kayak racks, etc..

*snort*

I drive a rice-burner SUV - a Montero, to be exact, and the four-wheel drive has actually been used.

I have a think for Camaros, though. I've owned three, and will eventually get another one, I'm sure. But, mine weren't the frilly things you've characterized, in fact, I used to run a Z24 I used to have at a local drag strip occasionally. Damn thing was fast as fuck. :D
 
*snort*

I drive a rice-burner SUV - a Montero, to be exact, and the four-wheel drive has actually been used.

I have a think for Camaros, though. I've owned three, and will eventually get another one, I'm sure. But, mine weren't the frilly things you've characterized, in fact, I used to run a Z24 I used to have at a local drag strip occasionally. Damn thing was fast as fuck. :D
I used to hate 'em, then I fell in love with a 67 convertible, ended up with a different one, primer Black with scraps of aluminum riveted to cover the holes, Road Warrior - had a handbuilt 350, fucker chirped the tires in Third gear.
 
A woman emerges from her local goodwill, carrying a pair of kneehigh, lace-up riding boots...

:cool:
 
A woman emerges from her local goodwill, carrying a pair of kneehigh, lace-up riding boots...

:cool:
Casually leaning against the warm brick wall outside the thriftstore having a smoke, smug about the Three Silk Hawaiians he just scored for less than ten bucks because nobody in there knows Silk from Polyester, he grins a twisted leer, asking in a low voice as she walks past: "got a riding crop to go with those boots"?
 
Casually leaning against the warm brick wall outside the thriftstore having a smoke, smug about the Three Silk Hawaiians he just scored for less than ten bucks because nobody in there knows Silk from Polyester, he grins a twisted leer, asking in a low voice as she walks past: "got a riding crop to go with those boots"?
She joins him against the sun-heated bricks. "Those shirts you scored, dog? That red one is not your color. I'll give you five bucks for it."
 
Back
Top