Character Name Suggestion

somethingfar

Virgin
Hi all, I'm almost finished plotting a story with a co-main trans character, MTF, early 20s. I'm going for something a bit androgynous, but cute and appropriate when she finally blossoms. Current contenders are Paige, Flynn, and Reese. Any others you like?

It wasn't a trans character but I recently wrote a futa story where the MC's name I decided on was Robin, with Sage and Drew being the close contenders.

Flynn and Reese work, but I’ve never heard of a guy named Paige. I suggest starting out with the character just named Page if you go with that name and then when they transition they add the i.

Although not quite so common in the present, Ashley is considered a masculine name as well as a feminine name.

Morgan. McKenzie.

You can do Google searches for names most often used by both sexes to get a good list to choose from.

Although not quite so common in the present, Ashley is considered a masculine name as well as a feminine name.
So are Pat, Leslie, Carol and a few others, but not currently trendy. In some cases the spelling varies, but not always.

I like Devin though. Or Devon.

Sam and Alex can be either.

Samuel or Samantha and Alexander and Alexandra - shortened.

Hi all, I'm almost finished plotting a story with a co-main trans character, MTF, early 20s. I'm going for something a bit androgynous, but cute and appropriate when she finally blossoms. Current contenders are Paige, Flynn, and Reese. Any others you like?
How bout Arion

Some of the most luminously beautiful trans-persons I know have used: "Vi" (equally serviceable for "Violet" and "Vincent"), "Blake," and "Alice." That's what I've got.

Ah dunno about Paige and Flynn if you want androdynous names. Sounds like what you want are unisex names. Personally a trans person using the complete male/female version, or close to it of their deadname just seems old hat. I knew somebody that went from Vincent to Tiffany, another went James to Charlotte, one more that went from Peiton to Lukas.

Ah dunno about Paige and Flynn if you want androdynous names. Sounds like what you want are unisex names. Personally a trans person using the complete male/female version, or close to it of their deadname just seems old hat.

Yeah, I think trans people just switching from a masculine form to a feminine form of their deadname, or vice versa, is a lot more popular in fiction than in reality. I'm trying to think of anybody I know who did that and drawing a blank.

What's much more common is picking a different name that has the same initial as the deadname. Somebody named "John Smith" decides to transition, they start identifying themselves as "J. Smith" everywhere they can, and then when they've more or less retired the "John" they can start switching "J. Smith" over to "Jessica Smith" - that's a lot less obtrusive than going straight from "John" to "Kate".

Jordan has become fairly gender neutral these days.

A few years back a fairly well-known comedian here transitioned from "Jordan Raskopoulos" to "Jordan Raskopoulos". Must've made the paperwork simpler, though she did add a couple of feminine middle names.

I'm trying to think of anybody I know who did that and drawing a blank.
Ellen -> Elliot Page is the only example I can think of, and I'm not actually sure if this isn't just the two names sounding similarly rather than being gender variants of one.

I have a trans story on the back burner where the MC is originally named Steve. After completing the trans-formation, the character chooses to go by Stevie rather than pick an entirely new name. Dreams unwind, love's a state of mind.....

Ellen -> Elliot Page is the only example I can think of, and I'm not actually sure if this isn't just the two names sounding similarly rather than being gender variants of one.
Yeah, I'd say the latter. "Ellen" is a variant of "Helen", derived from Greek; "Elliot" comes from Scotland, with a couple of conflicting theories about where the Scots got it from, but nothing I can see with a Greek origin.

There are several other female versions of "Helen" e.g. Lena, Eileen, but the only masculine versions I'm aware of are the Greek Elenos/Helenos which I've not seen used in the Anglosphere.

Picking a vaguely similar-sounding name isn't de rigeur but not too uncommon. Some of the others I've seen include Larry to Lana, Walter ("Wally"? not sure if she used that contraction) to Wendy, and a friend who did something like "Brandy" to "Bradley".

A different name with the same meaning is another option. This article includes somebody nicknamed "Sunny" who became "Apollo".

On a totally unrelated topic I saw the name Winnie.

Maybe Winifred.

Fred.
Winifred
Winnie.

Or vice-versa.

Or not.

Picking a vaguely similar-sounding name isn't de rigeur but not too uncommon. Some of the others I've seen include Larry to Lana, Walter ("Wally"? not sure if she used that contraction) to Wendy, and a friend who did something like "Brandy" to "Bradley".
Emma to Eddie, then Ed - ABC radio announcer with two beautiful voices.

"Hello, this is Carlton, your doorman."

"Yeah Carlton, we know. What is it?"

"Uh, I have a package for you."

Back