Robin
Raven
Marley
Sage
Ash
Jace
Sandy
Joey
Alex 😉 - it’s crazy how many lit trans characters are named Alex.

Last edited:
Here's my general technique for finding character names:

-- Figure out the approximate age of the character.

-- Subtract from current year.

-- Do a Web search for baby names of year(current - age).

-- Pick one.

For example, if I"m writing a story right now about a 27-year old woman, I would do a search for "popular girls names in 1997". There are multiple Web sites that will give you dozens of names, ordered in multiple ways, often with derivation or famous people having that name. If none of the names rings your bell, try 1998 or 1996. You'd be surprised how much the lists change.

If you're looking for an androgynous name, check both boys and girls lists, see what's common.

Of course, sometimes the name just pops in my head. I'm writing a story now in which the FMC is named Gracie. I don't know why. I don't know any Gracies. But that's her name.

Here's my general technique for finding character names:

-- Figure out the approximate age of the character.

-- Subtract from current year.

-- Do a Web search for baby names of year(current - age).

-- Pick one.

For example, if I"m writing a story right now about a 27-year old woman, I would do a search for "popular girls names in 1997". There are multiple Web sites that will give you dozens of names, ordered in multiple ways, often with derivation or famous people having that name. If none of the names rings your bell, try 1998 or 1996. You'd be surprised how much the lists change.
This is useful as general advice, for a character who's still using the name their parents chose when they were born, but I'm not sure it's a good fit to OP's question.

If one's writing about e.g. a transgender woman who was born in 1997 but transitioned and chose a new name in 2022, is she likely to be looking back on popular baby names of 1997 to figure out that new name?

If one's writing about e.g. a transgender woman who was born in 1997 but transitioned and chose a new name in 2022, is she likely to be looking back on popular baby names of 1997 to figure out that new name?
If she doesn't want to end up with a name that is obvious 'I changed my name recently!', yes.

Depending on personality, it may be important to her not to be a Lyra born before His Dark Materials came out, or a Brienne before GoT was a thing. Or she may go 'fuck it, I love Lyra and would change my name to Lyra even if I already had a female name'.

Thank you all for the great suggestions, and some entertainment. : ) I'm down to three I think, but I'll leave the suspense for when the story drops.

Back